Diablo® III

please make specific drops

The idea that any item can drop from any monster is great, because it means you can farm wherever you want and have access to all the items.

This is a nice theory, but here's what really happens: because any item can drop from any monster, you must farm where the monster density is highest, so you can get as many items per run as possible.

Where does this leave us? Either in the Vault of the Assassin or the second half of Act III. That's barely a fourth of the total game content.

The solution? Specific drops. Make it so certain items only drop in certain locations.

For example, let's say that helms can only drop in the Halls of Agony. This means, if I want a Mempo, I now all of a sudden have a reason to go back to Act I and clear it until I find one.

This suggestion is the one that suffers the most pushback. I have edited it to the following:

The solution? Drop preferences. Make it so certain items are more likely to drop in certain locations.

Note that this only affects areas, not monsters. For example, let's say that helms are more likely to drop in the Halls of Agony. This means, if I want a Mempo, I now all of a sudden have a reason to go back to Act I and clear it until I find one.

If I don't really want anything specific, I still have the option of clearing VotA or Act III, where everything drops as before. However, if I am specifically looking for a helm, I am better off going to the Halls of Agony.

This method has two advantages: first, I can now set specific goals for what item to look for next. Second, it gives me a reason to visit areas I normally never would visit. The second point is an important one. To gear my character top to bottom, I will eventually need to farm several different areas, thus exploring the world in much greater depth.

Of course, which items drop where and how often should be determined carefully (and tested).

Thoughts?
Edited by vortic#1880 on 1/4/2013 2:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
DEAR GOD NO. This is still Diablo right? Kinda?

One of the worst suggestions I have read. Ever.
Reply Quote
Some areas/monsters may be biased toward some kind of drops (like Countess in D2). But nothing more
Reply Quote
Make it so certain items only drop in certain locations.

Or.. have a better chance of dropping in certain locations.

As Nishrek said.

It was already invented by the D2 team (to a much higher degree than would be necessary I gues).
Sad they took that out too.
Reply Quote

The solution? Specific drops. Make it so certain items only drop in certain locations.

They do some of them anyways... you just haven't play enough to know. First with out mp you will never get an item that is lvl 63 in act2 and act1 like never or it is 1% chance your leg drop is going to be lvl 63. I don't know about you I find most of my skorn and manticore in act2 with mp. And my ef and leg boots in act3. I won't tell you where I pick them up almost always at the same place but I think some of the stuff is location specified already...

BUT I WILL NOT CHANGE THE DROP SYSTEM THEY HAVE NOW. Blizzard can add new item that drops in specific places like tomes and crafting item in the future to make the game a bit more fun.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 1/3/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hmm, ok, the responses are generally negative.

However, I'd like to know, why are you opposed to this suggestion? What about it would you dislike?

Or.. have a better chance of dropping in certain locations.

This would be just fine, too. I just want to be able to say to myself, "I want to go find a nice set of boots" and be able to set out a plan to find a lot of boots (in other words, it's the difference between "I want to go find some boots" and "I wish the next drop would be boots").

01/03/2013 03:53 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
BUT I WILL NOT CHANGE THE DROP SYSTEM THEY HAVE NOW.

Why not? What about it do you like?
Reply Quote
I agree actually.

Their should be totally different colored presents full of totally randomized goodies located in totally specific areas for you to farm.

If you want blue presents you can go farm Leoric's Mansion NO WHERE ELSE. Just that little courtyard and entrance place.

If you want green presents go farm the Slaughtered Calf in which you must fight those 6 or so zombies.

If you want to farm sparkly presents you have to farm Whymsishire (or whatever that odd place is called).

Then... when you have all your different colored presents you unwrap them all taking 3 seconds to do so for each. This will then reveal completely randomized gear omg!!!

Awesome!!!

Anyways without the sarcasm... no thanks. Simply just improve itemization Blizzard don't make OP's suggestion reality.

Why do I not like this idea? Because the whole point of finding loot is randomization. I don't want to open a chest which will always just give a lame shield. I want to open a chest which can give me a legendary or a 1% chance in being good rare.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
OP, that's like asking for the loot system in LFR to go back to what it was for eight years prior.

If we could run bosses for a specific drop and it would consistently drop that item, we'd be playing the game a LOT LESS just to get what we wanted. I'm surprised it hasn't completely occurred to you that Blizz is in the business of -keeping- us playing. Guaranteed loot drops for the majority of the playing population isn't much of a hook.

I myself am something of a hardcore turned into a casual, and my free time isn't commonplace now. I'd probably agree with you that it would be a nice, convenient way to get what we want.

But it will never happen. If we could kill a boss in 10 minutes and get the drops we wanted off it, the AH market would dramatically plummet due to demand being far lower (and people would rarely get things they didn't intend to farm for, and thus sell).

.. Edit: And if you want a nice pair of boots, save your cash up and buy a low-to-mediocre itemized pair off the AH. If you aren't getting crazy lucky on RNG'ing your own gear from drops, you buy it.
Edited by Swikky#1593 on 1/4/2013 1:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
better idea.

at a 10% per mp level chance,. you eliminate class specific gear that is not relevant to your toon.

therefore, if you are wiz farming mp10, you automatically eliminate mighty belts, handbows, spirit stones, dh cloaks, polearms, daibos etc

also: at a 10% per mp chance, all stat rolls that are not your primary/vit stat are force rerolled until you get something that is not your non class specific stat.
eg: if the original item rolled 250 int, 100 dex, the 100 dex roll will be rerolled, if it strikes strength, it is rerolled again, so a wizard will never see str/dex rolls at mp10 on random property stats.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/4/2013 2:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
So if you get to the point where you can farm mp10 (likely with already gimped gear), you deserve to be able to get cool loot on a more regular basis than the players further down on the totem pole than you.

That would be a return to the days when Inferno wasn't nerfed, enrage timers existed, and it was the top 1% of dps kings profiting by selling their endgame loot to the rest of the community.

No, imo it's better to keep things universal, such as it is in the Diablo shoot'n'loot world.
Reply Quote
However, I'd like to know, why are you opposed to this suggestion? What about it would you dislike?

A chance of finding things make it a slot machine: addictive and (if done right) rewarding in the end.

Knowing for certain you'll get a specific item or item type may look like fun, but I think that it will completely ruin the game. It won't be a challenge anymore.

One condition: if the item itself isn't worth much and you need many of them. For example, the runes from the Countess in D2. Or, what D3 could do, gems. You need a lot of gems to cube up a perfect, so why not add a monster with a guaranteed gem drop.
It shouldn't be easy to reach though. Guaranteed reward needs guaranteed investment, at least a little bit time consuming.
Edited by Sjippie#1970 on 1/4/2013 3:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
Vortic,

Like most everyone else in this thread, I'd be against this idea also.

If you made even a preference, let alone a specific source towards some types of loot to some types of creatures, areas or Acts, people would simply go farm those areas in turn for the specific pieces of loot they were after.

Quite apart from actually reducing the amount of the game most people would regularly see even further, it runs counter to the whole idea of ARPG's and smacks very heavily of further MMO-infection in an ARPG already heavily, and detrimentally, infected by MMO-itis.
Reply Quote
The idea that any item can drop from any monster is great, because it means you can farm wherever you want and have access to all the items.

This is a nice theory, but here's what really happens: because any item can drop from any monster, you must farm where the monster density is highest, so you can get as many items per run as possible.

Where does this leave us? Either in the Vault of the Assassin or the second half of Act III. That's barely a fourth of the total game content.

For example, let's say that helms can only drop in the Halls of Agony. This means, if I want a Mempo, I now all of a sudden have a reason to go back to Act I and clear it until I find one.

This method has two advantages: first, I can now set specific goals for what item to look for next. Second, it gives me a reason to visit areas I normally never would visit.

Of course, which items drop where and how often should be determined carefully (and tested).

Thoughts?

Your problem is that people only farm VotA or parts of Act III because, out of the entire game these areas have the highest mob density. Guess what your solution does? It forces players to farm the areas that have the highest mob density out of a much smaller part of the game where that item can drop. You are not adding choice, you are drastically reducing it.

You want to visit other areas? Believe it or not you are currently free to farm anywhere, the only disadvantage being a drop in efficiency.

The only real solution is to make mob density more consistent so you can farm wherever you want (or in more places at least) with less of a drop in efficiency.

Blizzard have stated multiple times they want players to have the choice of where to farm. Your solution goes directly against that. I want to see Blizzard live up to their word.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm bad at recognizing names. Thought you were someone else, Zilcho =p
Reply Quote
I disagree with this, because that means that players would just simply farm that one spot. That was something that the devs did not want to recreate from D2.
Reply Quote
Making certain monsters be SLIGHTLY MORE predisposed to dropping gear of certain SLOTS is actually a pretty good idea, :-)

What I don't like is the idea that others have that certain enemies should drop very specific things. I don't think that's too smart. It just means that one enemy will be farmed to eternity to get that one thing over and over. And with the AH, people won't even need to farm it because they can just buy it.

However, like your example, maybe more helms drop in the Halls of Agony, it would make you go back to Act 1. Better yet? Have specific areas of every Act be more predisposed to certain gear types. Every Act could have a specific environment that's better for farming gear for certain slots.

That'd be kinda cool. :-)
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 01:37 AMPosted by DeMasked
Why do I not like this idea? Because the whole point of finding loot is randomization. I don't want to open a chest which will always just give a lame shield. I want to open a chest which can give me a legendary or a 1% chance in being good rare.

I said nothing about environment items. Chests would still function as before. Though, I see your point. I will edit my original post accordingly.

01/04/2013 01:45 AMPosted by Prétzels
If we could run bosses for a specific drop and it would consistently drop that item, we'd be playing the game a LOT LESS just to get what we wanted.

This change would not be implemented on bosses, it would be implemented on all monsters in a specific area.

01/04/2013 03:04 AMPosted by Sjippie
Knowing for certain you'll get a specific item or item type may look like fun, but I think that it will completely ruin the game. It won't be a challenge anymore.

Why would it not be a challenge? You still need to first figure out which area drops what you're looking for, then kill things until you get it. I will point to the Keywardens as an example.

01/04/2013 03:16 AMPosted by Hawkeye
If you made even a preference, let alone a specific source towards some types of loot to some types of creatures, areas or Acts, people would simply go farm those areas in turn for the specific pieces of loot they were after.

That's exactly the point. However, "those areas" would be different for each person. If you want to upgrade your belt, but I want to upgrade my bracers, we would be farming in two different areas. With this system, the most efficient way to get gear for different slots would be to farm in different areas.

Guess what your solution does? It forces players to farm the areas that have the highest mob density out of a much smaller part of the game where that item can drop. You are not adding choice, you are drastically reducing it.

Right now, your only choices are VotA and Act III. How would having to go somewhere else every once in a while make things worse?

01/04/2013 03:37 AMPosted by Elzilcho
You want to visit other areas? Believe it or not you are currently free to farm anywhere, the only disadvantage being a drop in efficiency.

That's exactly the problem I'm trying to address.

01/04/2013 07:16 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I disagree with this, because that means that players would just simply farm that one spot. That was something that the devs did not want to recreate from D2.

Again, this is true, but "that one spot" will change every time you decide you want to look for something else. And people change their minds a lot.

What I don't like is the idea that others have that certain enemies should drop very specific things. I don't think that's too smart. It just means that one enemy will be farmed to eternity to get that one thing over and over. And with the AH, people won't even need to farm it because they can just buy it.

However, like your example, maybe more helms drop in the Halls of Agony, it would make you go back to Act 1. Better yet? Have specific areas of every Act be more predisposed to certain gear types. Every Act could have a specific environment that's better for farming gear for certain slots.

That'd be kinda cool. :-)

You are right. That's why I suggested certain areas instead of certain enemies. This would actually force players to farm everywhere instead of the two areas they currently farm.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by vortic
Again, this is true, but "that one spot" will change every time you decide you want to look for something else. And people change their minds a lot.

But again it is what the dev team did not want to recreate. They do not want players to be forced into farming certain spots for either certain slots or types of gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]