Diablo® III

Sweeping Wind snapshot mechanics guide

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/wiki/monksnapshot

Updated as new info becomes available.
Reply Quote
I have a hard enough time getting to the next pack to keep the buff up without having to stop and swap out gear. How do you swap gear so fast?
Reply Quote
ya i read it, 1 question, how the %$&%^&$ does anyone can swap 3 set of gears in the time zone of blindflash which is 3sec. even if snapshoot is legit, but using macro to swap gears is not lol.
Reply Quote
You only need to swap the gear out before your SW drops. Gear is on, Blind -> switch to inna 4 piece quickly -> can keep SW up while you slowly swap other gear.
Edited by Enot#1820 on 12/31/2012 8:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
from what i understand is, you put on all ias gears and cast BlindFlash first to get max % increase dmg. than you put on all dex + CD gears, cast Faith of Light and SW. so how the hell do you change from all IAS gears to all dex + CD gears in 3sec? you know that blindflash has cooldown.
Edited by SuperJJ#1973 on 12/31/2012 9:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
You record a macro for it, and if necessary, edit the macro to speed up the process. (Edit: yes, at your own risk, of course)

Sucks that getting the best damage relies on such a mechanism, but there it is. Maybe they'll fix it when/if they revamp the class. I doubt it'll survive long after PVP is released.

The same concepts work when swapping fewer items manually.
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 1/3/2013 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
You record a macro for it, and if necessary, edit the macro to speed up the process.

Sucks that getting the best damage relies on such a mechanism, but there it is. Maybe they'll fix it when/if they revamp the class. I doubt it'll survive long after PVP is released.
hmm, i think i saw some post before, that blizz can detect how fast you change equips, so use it at your own risk.
Reply Quote
oh ffs, the double swapping deal is now out in the open.
not to mention encouraging the use of 3rd party macro.
O Ivgorod, these monks have fallen too far from grace,
soon will be the punishment from the gods.
Reply Quote
LordRaahl, this isn't up to your standards. I demand proper iambic pentameter.

Why do you even care? You don't appear to play monk. Someone you play with, maybe? [Edit: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CountFury-1192/hero/9125843 - apparently there's a long story there.]

Yes, I realize the more common knowledge it becomes, the more likely it is to get fixed. I see that as a good thing. It's a broken, counterintuitive mechanic that requires automation to make the most of it. If they've been balancing around it, it's hurting the majority of players.

Stop acting like it isn't already "out in the open" and there's some sacred trust being broken. This went public over a month ago, and the outcry's come and gone. Blizzard had it on their known issues list, and it's been all over other forums.
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 1/2/2013 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
Macros of this sort are against the terms of service. It's that simple.
Edited by Vrkhyz#1472 on 1/1/2013 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
Macros of this sort are against the terms of service. It's that simple.

Yes, they are. Blizzard doesn't appear to be choosing to enforce it in this case, since there are many who openly admit to doing it since release (either for this or magic find swap). So, it's a judgement call. What I'm trying to say is that mechanics that drive this sort of behaviour should be fixed where possible.

The same concepts apply when swapping a few items manually. Once you know how it all works, there's that drive to "do more" for power gamers, which isn't a good kind of conflict to have.

Just getting the information out there, since it's obvious people are trying to retain an advantage by burying it.
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 1/1/2013 1:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Nice guide, Raticus79. :-)
Reply Quote
Hey Raticus do you have any idea how to compare a dagger like yours versus a FoA like mine? I've tried both and this fist feels like I do more dps (snapshotting skorn ofcourse) but i'm not sure how to do the math of more ias for cyclones, vs more FoT dps with fist.

Either way, wouldn't an ias EF be BiS for this?
Reply Quote
Hey Raticus do you have any idea how to compare a dagger like yours versus a FoA like mine? I've tried both and this fist feels like I do more dps (snapshotting skorn ofcourse) but i'm not sure how to do the math of more ias for cyclones, vs more FoT dps with fist.

Either way, wouldn't an ias EF be BiS for this?

what you need to know is when you in battle gear, how much ratio is dmg between Thunderclap and Cyclones.
if a monk were to swap all his gear for snapshot, the ratio favors cyclones by alot.
if a monk were to only snapshot a weapon, i belive ratio will be 45:55,
that is why your fist will seems to do more dmg.
Reply Quote
I think for farming, your fist will come out really close to the dagger in the tradeoff between longer tempest rush and faster attacks, not enough to be worth switching over.

As far as the damage ratio goes, I measured mine (vs mp10 Asmodan) at about 80% damage coming from the cyclones, 15% from SW itself, and maybe 5% from FoT. It's a different story for farming experience on low monster power though - it's valuable for exp/hour to be able to one-shot things.

I'm at p100 so can't measure any more, but I finished up at about 50 million exp/hour on mp1. I never really liked the infinite tempest rush style, but that's definitely faster for exp.

I think a really good 1H+EF setup would be faster for short-tempest-rush exp farming (higher attack speed really adds up in all those little FoT teleports), but it'll be beaten by 1H+shield vs anything that lives for 3 seconds or more.

I finally got a decent deal on a Nat's ring, and I'm clocking in at 4.9 million DPS now (28 second mp10 asmo).
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 1/1/2013 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 09:48 AMPosted by iNSiPox
Nice guide, Raticus79. :-)

Thanks, you're in the credits. I owe you for the idea of the separate blinding flash set. That helped out a lot!
Edited by Raticus79#1110 on 1/1/2013 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
Raticus79: I'm very happy to hear that! :-)

Wittster: The Fists of Thunder [Thunderclap] should deal about 2.175 times [1] your DPS as eDPS.

Calculating the damage of Sweeping Wind [Cyclones] is a little more complicated.
If you know the average damage of a Cyclone which should be

Active Weapon's Average Damage with all Bonus Damage * (1 + Dexterity Bonus) * (1 + Combat Set Critical Hit Chance * Critical Hit Damage) * Other Bonus^n

(That assumes each Tornado strikes 5 times, should it be 6 times, it would be 1.2 times more)

You can multiply this with the number of Cyclones per Second, which should be 1.875 [1] times your critical hit chance times your attack speed to get the eDPS from your Cyclones. For the Sweeping Wind itself, add 45% of the damage mentioned above times attack speed times critical hit chance.

[1] 110% + 35% weapon damage per attack for two attacks, then about 145% weapon damage with the third attack, and that with a 50% faster attack animation.
[2] 1.5 (faster attack animation) * 5/3 (attacks 5 times in 3 attacks) * 0.75 (proc-coefficient).
Edited by iNSiPox#1144 on 1/2/2013 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Does SW snapshot capture special effects on gear like Sledge fist's 40% chance to stun?
Reply Quote
gear swap is lame.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]