Diablo® III

Thinking of buying a shield

Stormshield most likely unless there are good rares out there. I know to get CC on it, and searching the AH I can find some 28% block ones w/8.5-9.5 CC on them that are fairly priced IMO, is the 28% good enough for high mp's? Or should I be looking for 30+?

Thank you in advance
Reply Quote
I bought a 24% Block with 8 or 8.5 cc one for 150k and I am able to do mp8 ubers with it. Haven't tested higher though.
Reply Quote
I just spent ~10M on one with 33% block, 8.5% CC, and higher end Str and AR rolls. Armor roll wasn't the best, a bit under 1100, but not a bad price for the high block % and decent CC.

Most expensive item I've bought on AH so far and haven't even had a change to try it out yet. I hope it's noticeably better than my old shield (272 Str, 90 Vit, 64 AR, 6% CC, same armor as new SS, and 19% block).
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Garthandal
I picked up a SS 19X str, 8.5cc one with 34% block for around 12 a couple days ago.

snipe or someone didnt price it right?
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 12:23 PMPosted by LordZeus
I picked up a SS 19X str, 8.5cc one with 34% block for around 12 a couple days ago.

snipe or someone didnt price it right?

Sounds like the going rate. Mine is the same, except 1% block less, and I got it for 10M and change. Took a few auctions before someone didn't outbid me, though.
Reply Quote
I traded low block for bigger stats. EHP is about the same.

283 str
128 vit
15% life
12% block
10% crit
regenerate life
Reply Quote
kinda want the AR and block % cuz i'll be using the witching hour
Reply Quote
View profile
I'd still look at some rare shields too. Rare shields can roll everything a stormshield can minus the elite stuff (well, it's not a guaranteed roll) so you can get some pretty beast rare shields.
Reply Quote
With a high enough CC and over 8LS you shouldn't need a shield. Using HotA with 600k crits restores alot of HP per swing. Having said that, I went with a Hallowed Defender. Similar stats as Storm Shield but was cheaper. Got CC, ST and 28% block for 4M.
Reply Quote
Shields are pretty nice. I found the one i'm using as a drop on my monk, and i went straight from hell(1) to inferno(1) without any problems, which is kind of sad. Can't believe I've been wasting time NOT playing a barbarian.

Also worth noting i just recently hit 60, so don't look at anything besides my shield. Would have been nice if the +Dex on mine had rolled something else.
Reply Quote
Shields really don't do enough. You can achieve higher EHP numbers with a shield, but your actual sustain is worse due to life steal.

A shield (AR, armor) will allow you to soak up more hits if you aren't hitting anything or aren't using life steal, but an offhand (crit damage, life steal, 15% ias from dual wielding) will give you higher damage and sustained survivability.

The life steal from my offhand by itself gives me 7.5k hp/sec when self-buffed, according to d3rawr (without even factoring in the increased damage from using the offhand).
Reply Quote
View profile
01/03/2013 04:20 PMPosted by DragonLight
people still using shield ?

yeah i use shield, whats wrong?
Reply Quote
Shields really don't do enough. You can achieve higher EHP numbers with a shield, but your actual sustain is worse due to life steal.

A shield (AR, armor) will allow you to soak up more hits if you aren't hitting anything or aren't using life steal, but an offhand (crit damage, life steal, 15% ias from dual wielding) will give you higher damage and sustained survivability.

The life steal from my offhand by itself gives me 7.5k hp/sec when self-buffed, according to d3rawr (without even factoring in the increased damage from using the offhand).

Says the guy using tough as nails to gain the same armor, without block, that a shield provides when he could be using bloodthirst passive instead for more life steal.

Shield also allows you to gain 10% CC while utilizing +15% increased damage when using a sword mainhand.

DW --> +10% CC +15% IAS
Shield --> +10% CC +15% Damage
Reply Quote
I traded low block for bigger stats. EHP is about the same.

283 str
128 vit
15% life
12% block
10% crit
regenerate life

What you're missing in the EHP calculation is -%melee dmg and -% elite dmg.
Reply Quote

Help me to understand where you got the 15% damage from
Reply Quote
View profile
1000+ armor

200 + STR
200 + Vilt
70 + All resis
9% + CC
reduce cost of hammer 5 futy
reduce damage from meele 4%

oh perfect shield
Reply Quote

Says the guy using tough as nails to gain the same armor, without block, that a shield provides when he could be using bloodthirst passive instead for more life steal.

Shield also allows you to gain 10% CC while utilizing +15% increased damage when using a sword mainhand.

DW --> +10% CC +15% IAS

In your argument, you forgot to include the +150%-200% crit damage from the offhand on dual-wield. Assuming the +15% IAS has NO benefit to your tdps (which it obviously won't, as it helps you reach higher breakpoints) and using typical base values of 50% CC (60% with WOTB), 400% CD (150% accounted for from offhand):

DW:
0.4 (non-crit) + 0.6*5 (crit) = 3.4

Shield:
(0.4 + 0.6*3.5) * 1.15 (sword spec) = 2.875

Again, this is without considering the IAS benefits of DW. The damage difference is already quite large, 3.4/ 2.875 is an +18% multiplicatively, or an additional +21% from base value.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 09:16 PMPosted by LordZeus

Help me to understand where you got the 15% damage from

Weapons Master passive (main hand weapon:
Swords/Daggers: 15% increased damage)

i do like the idea of a sword and board barb.. they really do need to buff shields though..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]