Diablo® III

Good game, bad community.

12/31/2012 07:24 PMPosted by CompleatWych

Much of the blame lies with Blizzard simply for not communicating well. Blue posts in the forums are limited to trivial threads like "What's your favorite game quote?" Save the occasional announcement of some big change (like the recent "no PvP yet" post) there is nothing from Blizzard about the gameplay itself. Certainly no conversations with players about what they don't like or want to see added.

The players feel ignored. After that, normal human behavior takes over and people complain louder and more frequently in the hopes that NOW Blizzard will stop ignoring them. So, lots of complaint threads. If Blizzard would display the common courtesy of acknowledging complaints it could go a long way towards reducing that nonsense.

Rude, disrespectful behavior always leads to more of the same. Learned that in preschool.

Pre-school huh? Did you also learn in pre-school that whining and complaining generally gets no where in big people world?

Probably not. Who am I kidding?

Don't even pretend like Blizzard threw some kind of "first punch" they released the game then immediately had to start pulling graveyard shifts in order to iron out all the bugs and issues that come with launching a project of this magnitude. That STILL wasn't good enough. It will NEVER be good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CM's have been told "Look, that community is just too unreasonable. Interact with them as little as possible. In the meantime, work on this project on the side."

You honestly think the CM's just get paid to watch this forum and cater to the whiney little nerds on it? Give me a break. If they did, Blizzard would probably be sued for negligence because if that was MY job I'd be a pill popping, self mutilating psychopath in about 1 week due to how much abusive drivel I'd be dealing with.

So, again, what exactly did you learn in pre-school? Blizzard has never acted negatively towards US, they have done what you love, that is, "normal human behavior": to ignore the whiny animals in the other room and continue on with adult life. Adult life being developing the game more for said whiny animals. You couldn't pay me enough to work on this dev team. I feel sorry for them.

How Jay Wilson hasn't gone off the deep end I will never know.

Why are you so mad?
Reply Quote
"Good game" based on what?

Oh, you're talking about the sales which was mainly because of the reputation of its predecessor and not by this game's own merits?

Or are you talking about the unimaginative itemization and poor build diversity?

Or is it the awful story?

Or can it be the RMAH system which is a cash grab model used in Free-to-Play games?

Or is it about the awards it gained? Oh, wait... it actually did! Most disappointing game of the year!
Edited by izztickie#6669 on 1/1/2013 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Pre-school huh? Did you also learn in pre-school that whining and complaining generally gets no where in big people world?

Probably not. Who am I kidding?

Don't even pretend like Blizzard threw some kind of "first punch" they released the game then immediately had to start pulling graveyard shifts in order to iron out all the bugs and issues that come with launching a project of this magnitude. That STILL wasn't good enough. It will NEVER be good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CM's have been told "Look, that community is just too unreasonable. Interact with them as little as possible. In the meantime, work on this project on the side."

You honestly think the CM's just get paid to watch this forum and cater to the whiney little nerds on it? Give me a break. If they did, Blizzard would probably be sued for negligence because if that was MY job I'd be a pill popping, self mutilating psychopath in about 1 week due to how much abusive drivel I'd be dealing with.

So, again, what exactly did you learn in pre-school? Blizzard has never acted negatively towards US, they have done what you love, that is, "normal human behavior": to ignore the whiny animals in the other room and continue on with adult life. Adult life being developing the game more for said whiny animals. You couldn't pay me enough to work on this dev team. I feel sorry for them.

How Jay Wilson hasn't gone off the deep end I will never know.

Why are you so mad?

Not as mad as you enough to quote it.
Reply Quote
Stupid thread, stupid thread.
Reply Quote
The game, in and of itself, is a pretty good game. The game, taken as a successor to Diablo 2, is not. And when you have something that's been in development for 10+ years, by a company like Blizzard, as the successor to a game that tons of people are still playing 10+ years later, and you fail to deliver, you have to expect that some people, especially people like me that pre-ordered based on the fact that it was Diablo 3, are going to be very upset when the fundamentals of the game are nothing like Diablo 2. There are lots of reasons why, some of them have already been mentioned in this thread.

And you really can't judge whether or not someone enjoys the game based on time played. If you look at my Steam profile, I've played 646 hours of Day of Defeat. I don't particularly like Day of Defeat, but I have a lot of friends that do, so I play it with them. I stopped enjoying Diablo 3 a long time ago. I play it now hoping to hit the Blizzard lottery and cash out, and I'll bet that if a lot of players were more honest about their motivations, you'd see that money is the only reason they still play this game as well.
Reply Quote
Before reading just know this whole post is my opinion.

So everyday before I play Diablo I check Battle.net because I like to see what people are saying in the popular topics. The only downside is that every single day there is a at least one thread about how bad this game is, or where the flaws are. Now i can appreciate that some of the posts are well written, literate and informative. I.e, posts about what the overall community would like to see added to the game from a census of the community and trying to get the word to a CM and hopefully eventually to a developer. BUT then we have the threads of people raging and QQing about every other aspect of the game. I.e NERF RD TOO HARD!!!!!! Or THIS GAME IS SO BAD I WANT THIS AND THAT. It's such a depressant to see this when I still manage to have fun with the game, there is nothing more of a buzzkill than seeing people point out all the things that may not be perfect. I understand Blizzard still has a ways to go with the game and who knows, these next few patches could prove to really turn the game around; PvP, new design features etc. All i'm saying is that there are still people out there who enjoy the game and all the people who !@#$% and complain about everything are not accomplishing anything but making other people feel worse about the game.

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback about this topic.

Thank you.

Pitiful
Reply Quote
"Good game" based on what?

Oh, you're talking about the sales which was mainly because of the reputation of its predecessor and not by this game's own merits?

Or are you talking about the unimaginative itemization and poor build diversity?

Or is it the awful story?

Or can it be the RMAH system which is a cash grab model used in Free-to-Play games?

Or is it about the awards it gained? Oh, wait... it actually did! Most disappointing game of the year!

Well, like the introductory statement said, its all my opinion, and the fact that i have spent over 500 hours on a game i paid a measly $60 for, and am STILL enjoying it, then i believe it to be a good game.
Reply Quote
A game 10 years in the making that turned out to be problably the biggest disappointment in gaming history, created all of the negativity that you're seeing here.

Blame Activision for their short sightedness and greed, not the community. People are right to be as pissed off as they are.

True Dat!
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Utukka
If playing the forums was their mission, then it's accomplished. Stopped playing in June, played for 2 days after one of their patches, forget which one, haven't touched it since. The love for d1 and d2 I'd say is more the reason for sticking around, that and reminding blizzard of what I find disappointing in hopes that the expansion/patches shall solve some of my issues with it.

Agreed.

Plenty of times people tell other that if they don't like the game they should just leave (the forums).

However I've enjoyed D2 and other like games and still have some sort of hope for Diablo 3 when it comes to getting better and more enjoyable. I don't play the game anymore but hopefully in the near future that will change as well.
Reply Quote
I'm with the OP on this one. I still enjoy the game, have what I feel are crazy hours logged and feel it has tons of room for potential. I am eagerly awaiting new PvE content/expansions.

I work in IT and interact with Development from time to time. I think a large part of the community has no idea the amount of work that goes into a patch release, even a "small" one, and feel ignored by Blizz because change isn't coming fast enough. People, change has to be managed or things break in very unexpected ways. I understand why the community is frustrated, even when I don't agree. I'd just like to see them be a bit more patient and understanding with the people (who happen to work for what I think is an awful corporation) who are working to improve the game.
Reply Quote
Agree with OP. Some of us have tried to improve the forum but it's impossible to convert the thinking of entitled individuals who still live in their parent's basement; never really having to strike out on their own like the rest of us.
Reply Quote
Not sure of who to blame, because it is said that the diablo team was changed and those 10 or so years could be the amount of time needed to re-hire staff, figure out what the previous guys were doing, beta testing, catching up, then remaking all the graphics etc.... so if you think about it, we could be looking at a completely new game here, an attempt to fill such big boots. Some of the problems in the game must be obvious to the actual makers, but can't be fixed because so and so doesn't want to for some unquestionable reason due to rank/profit/target etc....

Then again I could be totally wrong as this is just my guess at why this game has so many unsatisfied forum postings. Quite frankly this game was fun, but it didn't last as long as I thought it would for the 2,150 Baht I spent for it in Thailand (plus additional rmah - yes, I did buy a loooooot of my gear!, maybe 3-4 times the price of the game I spent).

All in all, we must not forget that..... it's not the same people/company/etc...., therefore we shouldn't expect the same game. Hopefully you will understand that being angry whilst commenting and saying stuff like "this game is a failed project" will do nothing but further discourage the current makers to help you out. It's not their game, so lets try to be reasonable and bring back some hope to this game that feels deserted. Hopefully we haven't scared them all off with all our angry posts.

Cheers.
Edited by Timception#6905 on 1/1/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]