Diablo® III

Lyliarra, can you please define harassment?

(Locked)

Please define what "harassment towards Blizzard employees and towards Diablo 3" actually means.

Does "Jay Wilson is a bad game designer" qualify? Is that harassment?

Does "Diablo 3 is boring game after level 60" qualify?

Does "Diablo 3 feels like a job" qualify?

What is line that needs to be crossed to be considered "harassment"?

As someone with a lvl 60 of each class and well over 700 hours of gameplay, I really hope you're not complaining that it's boring.
You're an idiot

How's that for harassment ya d-bag

As someone with a lvl 60 of each class and well over 700 hours of gameplay, I really hope you're not complaining that it's boring.

Those were not my claims - those were hypothetical comments. I want to know if they are considered harassment or not. For something that could ban people from the forums, I think they should define it so people at least know what they are getting into before they get banned.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 12/13/2012 7:05 PM PST
You know what harassment means and you know what threats of violence are. There's plenty of that directed at him on this forum. That's what they're referring to.
12/13/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Iskra
You know what harassment means and you know what threats of violence are. There's plenty of that directed at him on this forum. That's what they're referring to.

So if someone said, "Jay Wilson is a piece of !@#$ arpg game designer, and should go back to designing strategy games", is that harassment?
Edited by Scala#1900 on 12/13/2012 7:07 PM PST
Reported for calling out a "blue" by name in the subject. :)
12/13/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Scala

So if someone said, "Jay Wilson is a piece of !@#$ arpg game designer, and should go back to designing strategy games", is that harassment?

No, that's an insult. You should probably redirect your questions to an english teacher.
Edited by Iskra#1389 on 12/13/2012 7:11 PM PST
12/13/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Iskra

No, that's an insult. You should probably redirect your questions to an english teacher.

They are not making it clear because they also include "Diablo 3" as part of their post. How can you harass the game itself? So it makes me wonder if they also include insults and negative feedback as part of their definition.

My request is simple. I just want their definition as they interpret it.
12/13/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Scala

Yes. If your annoying behavior intends to disturb or upset then yes, it's harassment.

Yes. If your annoying behavior intends to disturb or upset then yes, it's harassment.

So harassment is defined by what upsets and disturbs anyone on the developer team? What if they don't take constructive feedback very well and it upsets them to hear it... does that mean that is harassment according to that definition? Is it really so arbitrary as anything that disturbs and upsets them? That could be anything.

If they are going to ban people for saying stuff about a game that obviously has a lot of design problems for the end-game, I think they should be very clear and define what the boundaries are and what would get someone banned. Leaving it open lets them ban anyone for whatever reason they want, especially things that are legitimate complaints by customers - things they might not want to listen to.
Edited by Scala#1900 on 12/13/2012 7:21 PM PST
Be civil, courteous and treat people how you yourself want to be treated. If we all did we wouldn't have threads like these.

Crazy concept i know.

Or we could all, like you're implying, walk a tightrope on the verge of what's acceptable just so we can be as obnoxious and disrespectful as the forum permits and get away with it.
Harassment is defined as calling the creator of Diablo 2 a F'ing loser...Flaming is roasting with fiery words that person on these forums for making a game that has loads of bugs, hidden agenda and is the biggest disappointment of a video game ever
Edited by Krankenstien#1445 on 12/13/2012 7:23 PM PST

They are not making it clear because they also include "Diablo 3" as part of their post. How can you harass the game itself? So it makes me wonder if they also include insults and negative feedback as part of their definition.

My request is simple. I just want their definition as they interpret it.

Yes, they do include those two words in the post, good job. What they don't do is include it in the part of the post where they say what things are not okay to direct harassment at.

"Regardless of one's feelings about Diablo III and its development team, harassment directed at its employees is not permitted in these forums (especially when it comes to threats of violence). It is never appropriate to suggest real-life harm within this or any Blizzard community, and we will respond to such threats with all due diligence.

We welcome criticism provided that it is shared constructively; however, defamatory language that has a clear malicious intent and/or fails to promote positive discussion -- which you have been so kind to illustrate -- will not be tolerated, and in many cases will lead to a notable vacation of your posting privileges. Please take this time to reconsider how you communicate within this forum."

I'm sure you thought that your OP was a clever way to expose Blizzard for ...something, but all it has done is made you look like a moron.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Be civil, courteous and treat people how you yourself want to be treated. If we all did we wouldn't have threads like these.

Crazy concept i know.

Or we could all, like you're implying, walk a tightrope on the verge of what's acceptable just so we can be as obnoxious and disrespectful as the forum permits and get away with it.

Yep. The OP wants to know how close to the edge he can sail before going over--and the answer is why sail so close in the first place? Stay to the center and you won't have to worry about the dragons (or banhammers) lurking at the edges of the map.
That still doesn't define harassment

Crazy concept i know.

Yep. The OP wants to know how close to the edge he can sail before going over--and the answer is why sail so close in the first place? Stay to the center and you won't have to worry about the dragons (or banhammers) lurking at the edges of the map.

It is true that there are lots of problems with the game that I'd like to highlight, but I doubt I would think anything I would write would be close to the edge... but again, that's using my definition of harassment. Blizzard's definition could be entirely different, and if so, I want to know.
Community Manager
Here you go: http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct#harassment

Harassing or Defamatory

This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:
  • Insultingly refer to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people
  • Result in ongoing harassment to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:
  • Be given a temporary ban from the forums, depending upon severity

Harassment takes many forms, and is not necessarily limited to the type of language used, but the intent.

I do not personally consider the quotes you provided harassment, but that evaluation might change depending on the posts they were included in (the first quote could be questionable). Context is obviously very important here.

The best course of action is simply to be civil and avoid insults directed at other players or employees.
Edited by Lylirra on 12/13/2012 7:33 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]