Diablo® III

How to Fix the Economy and Botting with PVP

Anyone have any other pvp ideas? Please don't just say you dislike it, explain why
Reply Quote
stinking idea. no thanks.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Death Knight
how about this...

no balancing for pvp (character class) ...

no loss of gear... just out right pvp -- let the best (and best geared) player win..

/thread
Reply Quote
1. Are you trying to increase the amount of crying on the forums? If there wasn't either of the AH's then this would still be a bad idea. You want to salvage the economy, that won't happen either. The problem with the economy is that as the price of gold drops, item prices go up. Players have it in their minds that an item has a certain value. What they don't seem to grasp is that the more prices go up, the more gold will drop.

2. PvP should at least have some sort of ladder showing, most wins, fastest wins, etc. There's the reward right there.

What players don't understand is that items need to be sold reasonably quickly for there to be enough of a demand to raise prices (those little economist that don't have a clue). Demand is created by having a stable enough economy that the price of gold is stable on a bad day & goes up on a good day. Sure it can drop from time to time but that's only caused by over charging. Thus taking away any incentive players have to buy gold & causing the gold price to drop. Currently a good item drops & a player decides it's worth $1,000 & tries to sell it for gold on the AH or more likely in the trade channel. Right there is the problem. Are they trying to sell the item to 1,000 people, 100 people, or 10 people. Since the higher a price an item is posted, the less potential buyers you have.

What if the gold price was increased & then became stable around $1.20 instead of the 0.35c it's around atm (as it continues to drop). The item would only need to be posted for around 800M. Players would be more likely to buy 800M gold than 3B+ gold to buy an item. Players would also be compensated by the amount of gold they can farm in the game, reducing the amount they need to buy even further. This would also help stimulate growth since with the Paragon levels, gold find is also increased.

To put it simply. The more gold is worth, the more items are worth. The hard part is finding a middle ground. If that was to ever happen though, even average items would have some worth & enhance the progression of the gold price. As I said earlier though. This will never happen because players would have to start selling items cheaper to stimulate the economy & they have it in their minds that items already have a certain value regardless.

On a side note, lets ignore the chances of items having their stats changed again or new items being introduced. Which is a whole other problem, yet a very likely one.
Reply Quote
12/24/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Dogf
1. Players drop some or all of their gear upon dying, which can be picked up by the opposing team. This creates incentive to win, and most people will not be

... playing.

my thought exactly.
Reply Quote
Well-- for pvp there could of course, as in runescape, be an area where you can duel with no risk an no reward.

I think the RMAH would see a lot more action if players were forced to replace all or some of their gear upon death. I think Blizzard would profit more, and thus hopefully care more about the game than they do now.

The problem with the economy is that there is TOO much gold right now, thanks to botters. When this happens in games, the usual response is to create a "gold sink". An example of this would be the auction house (-15% per transaction). To reduce the amount of gold in game, this gold sink needs to be used more.

As for people saying that people would buy the best gear and constantly win--

This will REDUCE the lilkelihood of that. If there is no risk, there is NO REASON for people with the "top .005% dps" to use all their gear. I highly doubt that anyone is going to risk billions in a battle, and if they do more power to them. Eventually, they will lose their gear.

The reason this will work so well and create a fun game is that noone will "buy" guaranteed victories (see above). It will become an actually battle of skill (and of course some variability with items and their values). Like I said before, nobody has unlimited funds, and nobody will be risking thousands of dollars per duel.
Reply Quote
Any other ideas folks?
Reply Quote
BUMP
Reply Quote
BUMP
Reply Quote
BUMP (new info in notes!)
Reply Quote
I doubt anyone will play PvP if losing one battle means losing all their gear.

Also bots will be able to survive if they have a build based on high damage and fast attacks because they will be able to start attacking far quicker than a human.
Reply Quote
Interesting, the way I looked at it was people would play pvp if it meant they could win someone's gear. Also, I don't think bots will be able to beat humans for a long time, especially if there are obstacles etc.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bumpo
Reply Quote
dat bump
Reply Quote
12/24/2012 05:55 AMPosted by DeadRu
There have been games that allowed this. I don't think any are around anymore.

This is how Eve-Online has worked since day one. If you lose your ship in PVP (or PVE), its gone forever, some of the modules (items) can drop, but others can be destroyed.
Reply Quote
Runescape also uses this system, and it is one of the more popular parts of the game.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Most people are risk averse and would be far unhappier if they lost there 1bn piece than if they were to win one.

I don't see how this would even stop bottling anyway, it would probably just create the need for more gold.. If I were to lose my helm I need to replace it, how do I do that. I either find a new one (likely not going to happen) or rebuy one in ah. Whoever just won mine will re-list and there is a chance to buy that (since its likely some mediocre piece). I either have enough gold, I farm more or buy more. All we have done is transferred my wealth to another player and probably given alot of real $ to botters for cheap gold.

In this scenario, no the botters don't win your gear.. Instead they refinance your new gear
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]