Diablo® III

Moving on (What you want from expansions)

In regards to an expansion, I personally would like the art and story direction to return to the gothic (by art and influence), and appeal to mature audience (rather than mass audience). I believe the reason Diablo 3 feels so "off" (by common perception) is that it is foreign or unrelatable in comparison to Diablo/Diablo 2's tones. Something about cathedrals, crosses, pentagrams and demon lords ( somewhat familiar by judeochristian indoctrination and culturation) allows you to feel attached to the story. A true demon lord doesn't talk to you until he wants you dead--and is really mystifying, leaving room for imagination. Diablo 3 takes out all opportunities for imagining what a demon lord is doing because he spends 90% of his time talking to you about nephalem business.

I want to be scared in the expansion. I want to see something sinister, I don't want a 30 second cutscene, I want to walk into a room and get crushed. Diablo 3 could learn something from its predecessors and games like Dark Soul. You should fear walking into Duriel's Cavern because he's not waiting for you for you to ready yourself, and definitely doesn't have time to talk. He's ready to crush you. In fact, you should always be timid to be the first person to enter that hole.

I want to feel fear in a Diablo game again --- and part of fear is self-manifested. In Diablo 2, I don't know much of anything about the story except for the particular quests building up to bosses. The minute Diablo appears after a rumbling cathedral with "Not even death can save you from me", I literally almost !@#$ myself as this giant demon sprinted towards me to kick my %^-, rather than talk about his feelings.

Similarly, I'd like to see some grid map randomization, they leave room for more randomization--- I recognize every environment far too easily and can anticipate where to go, where things are, etc.

Anyone else feel free to add your thoughts to this thread
Edited by Hareware#1517 on 12/27/2012 1:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 1 was actually the scariest. The phrase from D2 "Not even death can save you from me." is a famous line, and definitely scary. It'd be great to see more fear-inducing content in the expansion for D3. BTW, when I played D3 without the background music, it did come across as scarier.

My favorite music tracks in D3 were the two cave tracks (not the cathedral music). They weren't scary, but they did a great job of making you feel underground and enclosed.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 12/28/2012 1:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
honestly, remove the story/ voice director that worked on D3 and hire someone who is actually good at writing. Currently D3 does not feel very Gothic (in my opinion) because 99% of the dialog is so poorly written and is equivalent to a crappy Disney Movie. Additionally, if they didn't put so much stupid humor in the game, it would also feel a little darker and more realistic.

As an example, in act 3, the final catapult has a very annoying NPC who just babbles about doing all the work. This is nonsensical humor with no place in a grim/serious game. I like the voice actor for Covetous Shen and actually find it somewhat amusing, but once again I find the whole situation where you find him in a barrel too silly for a grim/serious game. Better dialog/writing, less humor, and I guarantee the game will feel much much darker.

Basically, what I would like to see in the expansion is more developed characters (oh i'm a monk? well is there any lore at all in the game as to why I am here?), better story (it doesn't have to be a Christopher Nolan special, but at least better than what it is), more diversity in loot (Crushing blows, chance on hit, etc), and a SOCIAL SYSTEM where you can talk to people easily.
Edited by DreamScythe#1363 on 12/28/2012 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think it'd be cool if diablo or any of the other main baddies taunt the hero they do it as a creepy little, whispering and giggling girl lol.
Reply Quote
12/27/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Hare
A true demon lord doesn't talk to you until he wants you dead--and is really mystifying, leaving room for imagination. Diablo 3 takes out all opportunities for imagining what a demon lord is doing because he spends 90% of his time talking to you about nephalem business.

You nailed it. The original Diablo was a -terrifying- game. It just seems the the developers spent a week writing the story, and 2 years making it look flashy. They wanted to show a visually stunning game (which it is) and leave little room for plot.

They clearly never saw Jaws. Why is that movie so !@#$%^- frightening? Suspense. The audience has time to anticipate and dread the appearance of the monstrous creature. In Diablo 3, the aspects of evil incarnate can't shut-up for a half a minute for anyone to be afraid of them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]