Diablo® III

MBPr - low framerate problem (6fps!)

Hi There,

( I posted this yesterday on the PC support forum - Duh - so am trying again here. There were a few posts originally as I worked through the issue - so it might read a bit disjointed as I am combining them all into one!)

I have been running D3 at full resolution with all settings at high on a 2.6GHz i7 MacBook Pro Retina (pimped out with 16G RAM, 756G SSD, NVidia GT650M with 1G VRAM) for the last 2 weeks and it has been perfect - fast and smooth with no issues. Looks gorgeous too at 2880 x 1440. Not sure what framerate I was getting as I didn't know about the framerate counter until yesterday. I would say at least 30 FPS though as it was incredibly fluid.

As of yesterday morning, it started running incredibly slowly - 6FPS. No changes to any of the settings - it just runs poorly no matter what I do. I am playing solo, have been all the way through the game on Normal difficulty and now on Act 1 Nightmare - so it was working fine before.

Even if I change the settings down to lower levels it still runs incredibly badly - won't go above 7fps or so no matter what I do. Nothing running in the background either.

When I launch the game, even on the login screen, it takes half a second or for each character of my password to appear after I type it. Even on the options screen, buttons take a second or so to update.

Any idea what could be causing this? Game has always shown as "up to date", and OSX is also fully up to date.... Boot ROM and SMC are also fully up to date.

I tried turning off TriLinear filtering in the prefs file - no difference.

I turned all graphical options to low, resolution right down. Slight improvement to 9FPS or so.

Turned all options back up to high and full resolution, turned off Max Foreground Framerate (which was previously set to 60FPS). This just made the framerate counter cycle between 3FPS and around 120FPS a few times every second.

The game is basically unplayable. If I fire a weapon, I hear the noise almost a second before I see the animation.... any ideas anyone?

Tried resetting PRAM and SMC - no difference

Tried repairing disk and file permissions - no difference

I have now uninstalled the game and am waiting for it to download again to see if that makes any difference. I don't hold out much hope though....

Anybody got any thoughts on what causes this and how to fix?
Reply Quote
I'm having simillar problems with my 2010 macbook pro 15 inch with gt 330m, on min everything or max everything the screen just stutters even when there are no monsters.
Also happend few days ago, before I didn't even know where the video options where.
Any solutions?
Reply Quote
You'll be pleased to know, that resetting the SCM seems to have fixed it for now. It must have been caused by the recent OSX update from the app store a couple of days go.

To do it, turn the machine off, make sure it is plugged in to power and press the (left side) SHIFt, CTRL and ALT(Option) keys at the same time as hitting the power button. Then release all keys at the same time. Then turn the machine on as normal.

It didn't work for me the first time I did it - so give it a few goes if it doesn't work at first.

I have heard this is only a temporary fix though and the problem may re-occur....
Reply Quote
ok thanks, already tried doing that but didn't work, guess I'll have to try again. Also what seems to help is connecting my mac to the tv and what bothers me is that I have no idea why
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
You'll be pleased to know, that resetting the SCM seems to have fixed it for now. It must have been caused by the recent OSX update from the app store a couple of days go.

To do it, turn the machine off, make sure it is plugged in to power and press the (left side) SHIFt, CTRL and ALT(Option) keys at the same time as hitting the power button. Then release all keys at the same time. Then turn the machine on as normal.

It didn't work for me the first time I did it - so give it a few goes if it doesn't work at first.

I have heard this is only a temporary fix though and the problem may re-occur....

It shouldn't occur out of the blue unless the SMC is somehow having issues. Once you reset the SMC, it should stick, but at least you know the solution for you now! :)

Reply Quote
+1 to the SMC reset - it did the trick for me.
My case was exactly the same as FatEvilDad's. Resetting SMC on my MBPr did the trick.
I've also reset PRAM, just to be sure :)
Reply Quote
hi
i had same problem on my mid 2010 MBP and late2012 MBPr
my ploblem is solbed by SMC reset and PRAM clear
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
The smc reset will also be needed sometimes after letting machine fall to asleep on 10.7 or 10.8. a stupid apple bug. that's why you get it sometimes even when you don't install any firmware or OS updates.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 07:48 PMPosted by Omegal
The smc reset will also be needed sometimes after letting machine fall to asleep on 10.7 or 10.8. a stupid apple bug. that's why you get it sometimes even when you don't install any firmware or OS updates.

I find this hard to believe as an "apple bug" as I don't see this happen with any other game or software.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
01/22/2013 05:48 AMPosted by DirkGently
I find this hard to believe as an "apple bug" as I don't see this happen with any other game or software.

I can reproduce the bug in ANY game or OpenGL program on almost ANY mac running 10.7 or 10.8. however,not all models need an smc reset to fix it. most just need a restart. Some models can even fix it by changing resolution then changing it back. it depends on mac. retina's have had a history of needing smc reset to fix the sleep performance bug. If you doubt me. open up a game, ANY game, do fps benchmarks. then close game, and flip that lid closed and go into deep sleep mode. then rerun those games at probably half the power as before. Most don't realize the bug is affecting them cause the machines are new enough that in most games, still run fine even performing very poorly. until they get to an intense area that just doesn't quite work as well as before.

if the two tests came out same, it's cause you were already smc/sleep bugged in first set and didn't know it. reset it and try again and you'll probably realize you've been running bugged quite some time. I like to run a full battery of tests with OpenGL extensions viewer to paint the bug more clearly with clear and concise tests.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]