Diablo® III

My new (to me) FoT/SW/LTK build...

So check out the profile if you're interested. Surely not the first time it's been done but I'm feeling like a one-man destruction machine. I've been really enjoying CW/LTK for some time but lately wanted to increase my ability to dps to do higher MPs. I felt like I was finally in a place to change it up. Took some advice from another thread (sorry forgot who but will try to credit eventually) and tried FoT/Quickening in place of CW/Mange. To help with Spirit regen. Dropped Serenity and replaced it with SW/Cyclone. LTK/Scorpion Sting remains a constant.

I swapped out two pieces of gear today to make this a little better as I work into it. I traded some LoH for Crit Hit Chance. I also traded a small amount of health and armor for more resistance. I'd like to improve my ChC more (and the damage too) but I'm about tapped out on budget right now. Obviously a socket on my weapons or crit damage is on the wish list.

Anyhow, I feel like a beast right now on MP2. I tore through a bunch of elites and Champions in Act III that used to take me significantly longer. Not long...just longer. I credit "Quickening" with providing a really nice boost in Spirit regen and also with the huge boost in damage (and LS healing) from SW. And with my ~2.7 APS I was pretty happy with the number of cyclones on the screen.

I honestly felt like there wasn't enough to keep me busy...like I should just be charging forward. I had to force myself to slow down to loot...lol. Which leads me to believe I might be able to up my MP farming to MP3 or MP4.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my thoughts and see if anyone else is using something similar or might want to give it a go.
Reply Quote
So am I the only one using this then? :) Decided to change out my Inna's Radiance with a LpSS version instead of the SpS version I had. I have yet to try it out but I'm thinking it will be a good addition since I have no immunity with Serenity any longer.

Anyhow still curious is anyone else is running something like this and how they like it.
Reply Quote
You could replace breath of heaven for serenity. I am guessing MP4-5 without too many issues. On low MPs I am sure you can get buy without it, but for me the blind and serenity are pretty helpful tools. There are times were I don't need serenity but it's the best panic button there is. Just too helpful for me to leave off. I use exploding palm over LTK but the theory is there for either.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the suggestion Valindria. I was kind of thinking the same regarding BoH. My unbuff'd dps is only around 75k so I really like the extras boost I get from BoH. Basically boosts my dps close to 90k constantly so it's a noticeable difference. I could maybe try Serenity-Instant Karma to get some dps out of it I suppose. I just very rarely use Serenity so it just seems to be a big commitment for something to collect dust. But you are right...best shtf button you can have.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure the synergy between SW and LTK are that great tbh...The knockback actually mitigates your dps from SW.

I like to use CW, but with CS, not LTK. Check out my current build (it's likely to change every other night though).
Reply Quote
I use LTK scorpion sting. It's a 50% chance to stun. No knockback at all.
Reply Quote
I should elaborate a little. The synergy I'm going for here is fast spirit regen to spam LTK (and MoC-overawe) while mobs sit there stuck in SW getting tore up by cyclones. Frankly I think it's working really well. I did some more Act III on MP4. Didn't die at all. Ran about 10-15 elite/champion groups. Had a few close calls but I'm easily moving through MP4.

I'm glad I added the additional LpSS on my Inna's in place of SpS. My out of combat spirit regen is noticeable slower but my ability to sustain is worth the tradeoff (~120 LpSS with Transcendence). I just need to keep my eyes on my spirit a little more now. I think I could probably move up in MP another level or two but I think I'm going to try to master this build for a while.
Reply Quote
View profile
The biggest (and main) drawback to LTK and any other spirit spender is increased Overawe downtime. As far as using quickening to mitigate this problem, you then force yourself to settle for less edps and no teleport function on FoT.

If you're considering replacing BW I'd suggest FS+CS and dropping Transcendence too.
Reply Quote
I should elaborate a little. The synergy I'm going for here is fast spirit regen to spam LTK (and MoC-overawe) while mobs sit there stuck in SW getting tore up by cyclones. Frankly I think it's working really well. I did some more Act III on MP4. Didn't die at all. Ran about 10-15 elite/champion groups. Had a few close calls but I'm easily moving through MP4.

I'm glad I added the additional LpSS on my Inna's in place of SpS. My out of combat spirit regen is noticeable slower but my ability to sustain is worth the tradeoff (~120 LpSS with Transcendence). I just need to keep my eyes on my spirit a little more now. I think I could probably move up in MP another level or two but I think I'm going to try to master this build for a while.

This makes much more sense. If there is no knockback, I can see how it can be really useful.

Do you find yourself hitting groups more than 4-5 times before moving onto the next group? If so, you may want to try CW: Rising tide rather than Quickening. Although you may need to get used to the short range of CW (which is why I chose to use CS). CW also snares mobs and makes it easier to stun consecutively on mobs that don't die off quickly.

And Stan is right, since most of your spirit is spent on LTK, you're not using Overawe as much as you should. Replacing Overawe with a mantra that you dont need to spam would probably improve performance. Perhaps Reclamation or Intimidation.
Reply Quote
Glad you guys gave me some more input....thanks. I didn't really think about changing up MoC-over but that may be a good consideration. I was using MoE-backlash for a while and that was pretty decent. But I'll look into your suggestions more. It definitely pushes my spirit to the limit trying to share it amongst both MoC and LTK. I really dig the SW/LTK combo though. It just tears things up and keeps the mobs under wraps. Throw in a blind and you control the fight pretty well. I've missed Serenity a few times but only rarely.

Right now I'm able to take out most of the mobs in a couple of hits. It's just the mobs with higher HPs or elites and/or champions that take a little longer. Part of this is me getting used to a rotation as well. I'm sort of a noob again since I'm not comfortable with the build yet. Before I was using CW and Serenty and I was pretty confident with what I was working with. I'm still plowing head-first into mobs but not with quite the level of confidence I was used to...if you follow. And adding in another spirit spender that costs 75 spirit definitely is a wake-up call. I'm really trying to play attention to Quickening procs and learn to spend my spirit more wisely....which is a change.
Reply Quote
Sounds to me your dmg is pretty sufficient. You may even want to give up MoC altogether, it's not like you really need it. If you're really spirit starved, MoH: Circular Breathing may be a complement to your playstyle. My approach to this was to use MoR: Transgression; to increase my attack speed and thus my spirit regen. But in order for this to work, you really need to hit multiple mobs all the time to keep up max spirit.

GL with your experiments and remember that the most often used skills are not always the best choice. Cookie cutters are a one size fits all kind of thing, but customized builds are always best fit.
Reply Quote
Thanks Lightdemon. Yeah, I'm still tweaking things so it's a work in progress. I think I'll mess around with mantras a bit. I never thought there would be a day I'd give up CW or Serenity but that day has come...for now...lol.
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

i want to give in another idea of how to use LTK:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/profile/Solon-2343/hero/17630970

This build is a melee/range hybrid, being able to withstand serious elemental attacks (poison pools, desecrator, fire chains) in face-to-face-combat situations.

Thanks to the ranged attack "Hand of Ytar" i am able to destroy ranged attack sources in one single strike, even when i am surrounded by melee monsters.
Before getting into such a close-combat situation you can kill several monsters before reaching you.

Fist of Thunder/Quickening is a must!

Thanks to Mara's, Skullgrasp, SOJ and Flying Dragon, the cost of LTK is reduced by 14, so i can constantly spam the big Laser Cannon. ^^

My gear is not optimal to get a high damage output. The game is over for me on MP5 upwards just because the damage is not enough, so I am waiting for 1.07 to give me a huge boost. ;)

This build is skill-intensiv and simply a whole lot of fun.
Edited by Solon#2343 on 1/28/2013 3:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
So check out the profile if you're interested. Surely not the first time it's been done but I'm feeling like a one-man destruction machine. I've been really enjoying CW/LTK for some time but lately wanted to increase my ability to dps to do higher MPs. I felt like I was finally in a place to change it up. Took some advice from another thread (sorry forgot who but will try to credit eventually) and tried FoT/Quickening in place of CW/Mange. To help with Spirit regen. Dropped Serenity and replaced it with SW/Cyclone. LTK/Scorpion Sting remains a constant.

I swapped out two pieces of gear today to make this a little better as I work into it. I traded some LoH for Crit Hit Chance. I also traded a small amount of health and armor for more resistance. I'd like to improve my ChC more (and the damage too) but I'm about tapped out on budget right now. Obviously a socket on my weapons or crit damage is on the wish list.

Anyhow, I feel like a beast right now on MP2. I tore through a bunch of elites and Champions in Act III that used to take me significantly longer. Not long...just longer. I credit "Quickening" with providing a really nice boost in Spirit regen and also with the huge boost in damage (and LS healing) from SW. And with my ~2.7 APS I was pretty happy with the number of cyclones on the screen.

I honestly felt like there wasn't enough to keep me busy...like I should just be charging forward. I had to force myself to slow down to loot...lol. Which leads me to believe I might be able to up my MP farming to MP3 or MP4.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my thoughts and see if anyone else is using something similar or might want to give it a go.

I must be the only guy on these forums who ever suggested going FoT/Quickening + LTK/Scorpion sting as part of my LpSS ->(LpSS is another thing i've thoughrouly advocated on these forums) build and have done so in multiple threads so its safe to assume credits goes to me :D
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/28/2013 4:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm not sure the synergy between SW and LTK are that great tbh...The knockback actually mitigates your dps from SW.

I like to use CW, but with CS, not LTK. Check out my current build (it's likely to change every other night though).

Dude, he's using the scorpion sting rune. Read the threads you post in.
Reply Quote
@Solon: Looks like fun, but 105K DPS isn't enough for MP5? I find that very difficult to comprehend.

@BigE: I suspect MoC: Backlash would do more for you than MoR: Transgression. You dodge roughly half your attacks already. The damage you deal is almost certainly higher than the damage you absorb. I'm reasonably certain Retribution reflects mitigated damage. Also, Backlash produces an AoE, but Retribution reflects damage only to the attacker.
Reply Quote
@Solon: Looks like fun, but 105K DPS isn't enough for MP5? I find that very difficult to comprehend.

@BigE: I suspect MoC: Backlash would do more for you than MoR: Transgression. You dodge roughly half your attacks already. The damage you deal is almost certainly higher than the damage you absorb. I'm reasonably certain Retribution reflects mitigated damage. Also, Backlash produces an AoE, but Retribution reflects damage only to the attacker.

You're right, anyone with 100k DPS should be able to at least go up to MP6 when it comes to farming.
Reply Quote
It's a question of how patient you are. If you're willing to spend 10-20 seconds per mob, then yes, you can do MP5-6 with 100k dps no problems.
Edited by hong#6510 on 1/28/2013 4:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]