Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
You have no right to complain, some say. For those of us still here from release (or rather more specifically, I alone, risking account) say:
This is what lead to us being upset. This is a semi-chronological ordering of why we are so upset, take it or leave it. I attempted to link the related articles or posts, to allow both sides (x elites killed vs x elites killed) to come to better understanding of each other.
Please CM's If you have read this far, know this only. I do this not to incite rage, but to prove a point. Yes, they are your forums, and your CoC's. But this is about healing the community. The purpose of this is to get it alllll out on the table, from the point of view of the most furious and trolly of us.
This answers what I believe holds the key to repairing the issues of the community, and through this summation, perhaps we can make your job a little easier. In some ways, we have (the community and CM's) have been through a war that needs to end, and instead of menial bickering, perhaps we can come together in fresh nastalgia, through the lense of "oh right do you remember when that happened, man i was so upset".
This is also dual purpose most importantly, in that the community can finally compare then and now, to appreciate the (few) great ideas the community created and were passed on and implemented.
And for you CM's that don't delete this (i hope all of you), this is the answer you must ask yourself every day at work when reviewing the spewed hate, day after day....
the question of....
I will do my best to keep this unbaised (which i know of course is not true), and the bias I attempt to keep clearly marked in ()'s. There is sarcasm contained, not hate, not threats, just sarcasm, Which hopefully CM's and forum members will appreciate rather than judge. The opnions are my own.
TL;DR: This is where I feel I have been let down in terms of
RMAH > Gameplay,
Lack of Testing,
This is my opinion.
The only truth contained is the actual goings ons relevant evidence.
1.1 Removal of Companions (for gold pickup) Pig, snake, etc
1.2 Stash Size Shrunk (cause hard drives are expensive)
1.3 Xp Radius (also note how she mentions how garbage radius pickup is)
2. Runestones Removed
3. Fatalities Removed
4. No PVP at Launch
5. Mystic Removed before launch
6. Nephalum Cube & Cauldron of Jordan
7. Bashiok Defends Monk Animations (lol fists)
8. Claim of Building Clan Support
9. The first Diablo 2 wasnt so great at release post
10. "Perfectly Executed" and "Doubled it"
11. Error 37 (what more needs to be said)
12.1 Inferno Being insane at release (for some classes)
12.2 Lack of Loot Dropping v1
12.3 Voice Acting / Cutscenes
13. Rubberbanding (still prevelent for some)
14. No patch notes for ninja nerfs (Hotfixes) until specifically petitioned
(dont even try to claim this was the devs listening to the community, who updates a 7 million player game (not to mention that advanced tooltips arent default on) without issuing patch notes... Ever see wow without them?)
15. Nerfing of Chests to Drop Crap (Literally just whites)
16. Nerfing Breakable Object Gold Drops (making 3mil an hour actually farming AH... nope)
17. Not updating tooltips during major patches to reflect changes...
18. Barb and Wizard invincibility Glitches - Reported in the first days of release on bug forum, not fixed until the masses found out (great for RMAH sales)
19. Legendary AIS broken, IAS works.
20. Legendaries as a whole not legendary
21. 1.0.3 Nerf to IAS by 50% - After RMAH sales, because of alleged stress on servers
22. Unid Exploit - To sell only crap unid items and keep good ones
23. INSANE repair costs - 1.0.3
24. 2.8 Trillion Builds - but only a few actually viable (see nerf to 'melee' Demonhunter)
25. Followers Cannot be set to passive, goodbye goblins
26.1 Massive Account Comprimise, including secret question. Always on Drm ineffective (Hey, at least they salted... I hope)
26.2 Bid Price Buyout exploit (reports still on forums every day)
27. Duping. See: absurd gem price drop
28. Gold spam, in game, in friend requests, and still to the this day on EU forums.
29. Trade Windows Scams
30. The nonstop Xfire posts about declining players (whether accurate or not, the defense used at the time of was 'usual dropoff for any new game')
33. Bashiok - "Aren't You thankful" - i still lol
32. Admission there is no end game - 3 weeks later (and since rarely posts on d3 forums)
33. Mike Morhaime post - Not addressing any of the major issues most talked about on forums
34. 2-3 Weeks of no CM posts and then first post concerning more issues from 1.04, cats. (most likely in anticipation of pandawow and avoiding fallout from previous weeks and patches turmoil)
35. Inivisible mobs still and issue in hardcore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyr1RbiZkwA (earliest record i could find)
36. Brevik Insult by D3 team (and honestly, what JW was probably said in sarcasm, its the others that were more inflammatory in my opion)
37. 2x 2 Handers being equipped (yay dps, also most likely in game since release)
38. Loot Data - 99.83% of rares salvaged (for lack of quality) - (some may argue that availability of top end gear vs release, some may argue the same in diablo 2 at release, etc etc. The main point I wish to make is that it is only 0.17% away from 100%)
39. Selective Deletion of Threads - This is not an attack on the CMs, this is in reference to the EU forums which are still plagued most days with spam gold posts making the US CM's jobs even more difficult from the overflow.
40. Pvp blog delayed until after christmas when it was seemingly done in november (whether beurocracy or insideous marketting, it looks bad. End of story)
Nerfs to classes (not complete by anymeans, and not overal damage reduction related)
Nerf: Tranquility - Hotfix - May 18, 2012
Nerf: Tranquility - Patch 1.0.2 - v.184.108.40.20649 May 29, 2012
Nerf: Boon of Protection
Nerf: Smoke Screen (Heaven forbid a caster do inferno solo)
Nerf: 'Melee' build no longer viable with stun grenades - 1.0.3
Nerf: Energy Armor (low hp + EA = push dps without worry about hp)
Nerf: Damage Cap on Diamond skin
Nerf: 1.05.... ask any wizard that isnt archon
Nerf: Ask any CM wizard since release (still viable considering the inflation and price of gear going down so much)
Mana issues since release, improvements, but large build limitations as a result still
Nerf: Follower range to attack adjustment, also made pet builds no longer viable in inferno at equal level (mp2 post 1.05)
-----These are just the ones I can recall, having had characters at max level given each 'adjustment'-----
In closing, Allow me to just reiterate, this is why and where we feel the developers may (or may not) have let us down, decieved us, made false promises, or neglected to properly test.
Most likely, I will add, as a result of stockholders and board members out of their hands, applying pressure.
One could simple view this as a "how did we get to this level of anger" timeline, to show, in one place, all the places some of us feel as though we have been wronged. I have done my best not to violate code of conduct, please take these as nothing more than factual tidbits to be viewed as a whole. I simply wish to get this out there, and go back to playing. And if just one CM post in this thread is "ok", we will be vindicated in knowing our "minority opinon" (joke from right after release, what are today called haters) is heard.
((This is one of my many alt accounts, No im not going to post my main. No you cannot have my gear. No i dont care about apostrophes and capitalizing i :D))
You can add "Making promises and not keeping them":
Mantra of Healing - This skill will be redesigned in an upcoming patch.
from May 22, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5825330/Diablo_III_Hotfixes_-_May_Updated_52312-5_23_2012
21. IAS had to be nerfed, because of the fact that IAS affected the resource generation and usage along with the other reasons that the devs gave. I understand that nerf and agree with them on it.
24. For anyone that would even dare to think that any game would be able to make all possible build combinations viable. I would ask what have they been smoking. Even Blizz did not say that all possible build combinations will be viable. Even they know it is an impossible feat to accomplish.
27. I still say that the majority of the duping in this game has been either in glitches in the item generation system, and I still feel that some might still exist. And Blizz being tricked into duping items by rolling back accounts that were not compromised at all.
40. That blog no doubt took some time to get it right. I am still saying that I am glad that Jay had the balls to tell us where we are as far as any type of PvP coming into this game. How would you guys and gals like it if they did not say anything at all and just surprised us with each new patch. The only way we would know is when it hits the live servers.
Nerfs is something that always happens in games, all games with classes will always suffer a round of nerfs as well as a round of buffs.
I agree with Jay that a perfectly executed game is better than an innovative one, however D3 was not perfectly executed lol!
As a longtime gamer that understands game design, I look at something like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and I'm completely blown away by the options available in that game. That's something that you can ship out and sell in a 60 dollar box.
With Diablo 3, they shipped it without PVP, their PVP mode was nowhere near complete. Jay told us in the blog that they had to scrap the whole thing but they're introducing dueling, which should have been in day one.
There was no endgame (and still to this day, we have no endgame). By comparison, Torchlight 2 had a workable endgame which featured true random dungeons with various effects on both monster/player, had a boss at the end with a reward.
We have like, no options to really enhance our character the way we want. That's because apparently everything ties into the RMAH. Again, drawing experiences from TL2, we had a rare goods vendor that sold unidentified items as well as gems, we had an enchanter that added 2-4 more affixes to an item, socket vendor, item transmuting, gem transmuting, MORE GEM TYPES, sockets on almost every item allowing ridiculous customization. We got NONE of that in Diablo 3.
The crazy thing is, these options were in Diablo 2!! Runic Games (made up of devs who worked on D2) were smart enough to carry over that system and build on it rather than do what the D3 team did and "try to build something new out of nothing" which is something I picked up off of the game director/designer for FFXIV who is doing the realm reborn.
Square Enix made the same mistake that Jay Wilson and his team did on D3. They tried to do something new, streamline one too many things and what's leftover is a barren wasteland. The new director for FFXIV talked about how they used Everquest as a base for FFXI and what they needed to do was take a look at the current market (which is WoW) and use that as a base, getting some time-tested ideas that work and what people would like.
The same is true for Diablo. They should have taken a look at Diablo 2 and other ARPG's since then, and use that as a starting point for building their next game. This is supposed to be Diablo 3, the successor to 2. So it's reasonable that you want to take what worked the best in 2, and build upon that in 3. It's not acceptable that I can load up D2 and be MORE immersed in that game than it's successor.
I agree with Jay that a perfectly executed game is better than an innovative one, however D3 was not perfectly executed lol!
It's all in here. Everything. Thank you for this great thread that makes all the facts clear. I'm no hater, I'm disappointed. I'm playing D3 once again because it's hard to give it up. I loved former Diablos and other Blizzard games because it has been a label of quality. And now, look at D3 in the actual version.
If I rant on this game, I don't do it because of hate. It's because I want it to be good and I can see that it's possible to be so.
Ok, now there's a gold source with the RMAH that guarantees some money afterwards, but at least, many people won't buy a Blizz game again or the expansion. Losing costumers costs more in the end than the RMAH is able to gather.
So, dear CMs, please don't get me wrong if I'm telling you that D3 is not able to be loved. It's the actual version of it.
Gaming is a hobby like sports or doing music. Something really important for a lot of people. A place where they can forget everyday's problems for a while like watching TV but interactive and more personal. Maybe the community seems hysterical about this game. But one has to see that this is the official place for feedback and so the critics come compressed.
This might seems to be a sh*tstorm from people with no life but that's untrue. Here is just the place to share thoughts and bad or insulting thoughts are part of it.
At least, we all go on. With or without D3 and I honestly wish that it's with.
Because Diablo is an epic Hack&Slay and to admit faults in designing the actual franchise wouldn't decrease Blizzard worthiness in the eyes of it's fans; a "joint venture" between company and costumers, working together to make a good thought best would be outstanding, bind people to a product and keep things alive.
Sadly, Blizzard seems to turn their back on their fans just because of profit (as it seems to be).
There's still time to communicate openly and honestly. Most of the so called haters measure the value of this work higher than the "D3 is god"-Groups, but even they have the right to tell their intentions and must be heard.
Let's work together with less rage but more creativity and rational ideas.
All that is missing is the ability of direct communication with Blizzard in higher density as it has been so far.
Sorry for my bad English. Hoping I was able to make my thoughts clear.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.