Diablo® III

What is pick-up radius good for?

I know pick-up radius isn't useless. I am, however, trying to determine how much I care about it, since it takes up an affix slot which would otherwise be devoted to either DPS or eHP.

I know it is good for:

- strafe build low MP runs
- picking up gold without having to move out of your way
- pairing with vengeance to replenish hatred without having to move, especially for speed runs

Am I missing anything?

Also related to that, can anyone point me to the formula to determine how often and when health globes drop?
Reply Quote
It's pretty much just used for speed runs, as far as I know. I've got a radius of about 12 (could use more) in order to grab all those globes efficiently.

Other than that, I'm not really sure where it would come in handy.
Reply Quote
ok ill bite....

Vengeance Passive - Your maximum Hatred is increased by 25. In addition, gain 20 Hatred and 2 Discipline whenever you are healed by a health globe.

With the use vengeance as passive partnered with 30 yards pick-up raidus, u will almost never run out of hatred or discipline. Add the fact that u wont have to walk back to pick-up gold which reduces downtime for para-leveling and gold farming. This is most effective around MP0-MP1 coz mobs go down in 1 hit or 2. For MP10 key farming, my gear only has 7yard pick-up radius so i wont have to keep walking back in circles to pick up 4k gold piles.

2 cents and out... =D
Edited by chinkjuice#1601 on 12/17/2012 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
When my ferret is running away from me I can more easily reach out and grab him with my 7 yard pickup radius. Ferret can't run away ha!
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 03:18 PMPosted by chinkjuice
Vengeance Passive - Your maximum Hatred is increased by 25. In addition, gain 20 Hatred and 2 Discipline whenever you are healed by a health globe.

^^ this, i dont even use hatred generater anymore. :D makes runs really fast, and the 2 disc has a huge impact, perma vault.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure I mentioned pairing it with vengeance in my original post, and I'm well aware of how good that is.

I am looking to see if I'm missing any other uses for pick-up radius I didn't mention in my OP.
Reply Quote
you can find about it here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/combat-skills
-> click on 7.) life

was joining vengance bandwagen, mybad
Reply Quote
pretty much it. vengeance + speed runs.
the extra gold you pick up pays for the pickup gear.
on speedruns you dont need a gazillion dps

I'm at 175ish w my pickup radius gear and having a blast. I havnt seen a globe on the ground in a while ;) I only remember what they look like when I do ubers

Reply Quote
Thanks for the pointer on looking in the game guide (who would have thought!) I never noticed those triangles before. I'll have to look more closely next time.

I'm thinking that if it's mostly only for vengeance pairing and low level runs, I might just pick up a set of trash (well relatively) armor with some pickup radius for the times when I'm doing that rather than trying to incorporate it into my sort of "everyday" gear which is more suited to mid/high MPs.

One of the things I'm looking at is a vile ward, where the choice is between something like 10% life or 7 pickup radius (with the other random affix going to +dex/vit). That's a fair chunk of eHP to lose, but I would do it if there is a compelling reason to do it.

I think instead I'll look for one with +life and then just get a set with a lot less dex and pickup eventually / whenever I need it.
Reply Quote
Pick-Up Radius is only good for consuming Health Globes when you don't need to be healed. Pick-Up Radius promotes and rewards lazyness. Pick-Up Radius is popular with the players who don't play the game itself but play against a clock.

Pick-Up Radius should be removed from the game.
Reply Quote
Basically for people that like fast runs.
Reply Quote
I run vengeance with pick up radius and it's just really efficient when I do speed runs. Love to get 30 but it's kind of overkill. Also, I noticed how the prices of pickup radius items are slowly increasing on the AH. I'm running at 14 and it's great. The gold pickup is just bonus. Better get them now, I have a feeling prices are going to hike especially with the infamous strafe + pickup build.
Reply Quote
PuR is only good for saving time, that is all, well unless you are a witch doctor. For us DHs though, its purely to save time from having to run to every globe/gold pile. I would do 12+ for speed runs, but Ive always had at least 6. Its far too aggrivating not having any PuR.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)