Diablo® III

Did diablo 2 have dungeons?

01/03/2013 07:36 PMPosted by DeadRu
Yes, in Rogue Encampment on D2, there are several types of random exits, from a bridge, to a fort door, and the exit can be facing all different directions, D3 cant do that.

Which really isn't a big deal. 4 different ways the map could roll to exit the Rouge Encampment is really not some epic achievement of Diablo 2 that I look back on. If fact I totally forget that even happened until you just mentioned it. That kind of randomness is pretty inconsequential.

01/03/2013 07:44 PMPosted by TheSaint
So what your saying is, you want a high resolution tea pot over a place to put a giant monster. I see.

That analogy went right over my head...perhaps try another.
Edited by Connatic#1376 on 1/3/2013 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was Diablo 3 on steroids.

Freedom and chooses every now and then, with a great and perfectly balanced sense of progression and a lot of more things to do and to have fun about, inside the game.
Reply Quote

Den of evil is in d3 to and you could equate that quest to the blood for zk quest line. On the alpha layered environments.. Diablo 3s engine and art execution is superior to diablo 2 In Every possible way.

Edit: instead of rubbish alpha layers we have the tech to just render and cut away scenery as it becomes neccesary.

In every possible way you defend technical systems you don't have a clue about, D2 has the possibility to change the entire direction of the entire map, from up to down to left to right and the map sizes make D3's look like a checker board. In one single area in D2, it can change about 15 screen lengths of dungeon randomization, in D3, only about 3. Tell me in New Tristram do you exit out of town the same way all the time? Yes, in Rogue Encampment on D2, there are several types of random exits, from a bridge, to a fort door, and the exit can be facing all different directions, D3 cant do that.

Honestly the towns not being random would be perfectly fine if the areas OUTSIDE of town changed. But they don't. Diablo 3 is an ARPG with random taken out of it.
Reply Quote

Yeah you know what, you did get a rough idea of where locations were based on the positions of other things, that was the limitation of its randomization engine, Diablo 3's is way worse, as for hacks... this is about the third time I have seen you bring up hacks like their a legitimate litmus to judge how a game plays. Just because you hacked, doesn't mean everyone else did.

Most improvements come at a cost, sorry the randomization isn't up to your standards.

What randomization? Diablo 3 is like 75% fixed linear maps with a few interchangeable events that no one does.

Smaller games in budget and team have developed more content and randomized maps that far exceed Diablo 3's lackluster funnelling from point A to Point B.
Reply Quote
I put less time into d2 in 12 years ...than I have of Diablo 3 in 6 months. If that says anything..
Edited by darkthrone#1400 on 1/3/2013 7:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

I'm talking about in-game features. My comment has nothing to do with technology you
http://www.trapperdesign.com/images/gallery/foto/turban.jpg

Diablo 3 has...
* Less shrines
* Less items
* Less item enchantments
* Smaller maps
* Less randomized maps
* Less classes (I don't give a sh!t that d2 had 5 classes on launch, the series left off with 7)
* Less interesting quest rewards
* NO LADDER
* NO PVP
* Less gems
* No runes
* No jewels
* No charms
* God awful crafting

These would make excellent improvements and features for the expansion.

It shouldnt take an expansion for the majority of these thing to be a part of the game. The things listed there are what made D2 so great they took all of them away.
Edited by Clem#1403 on 1/3/2013 7:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 05:36 PMPosted by MonkeyDLuffy
I didn't play diablo 2 but did they have dungeons and what did diablo 2 have that made it so good? I don't get it? They both had the main object of the game is to farm, so why is diablo 3 bad. people are hypocrites they like farm but hate diablo 3?

It had fairly randomized dungeons, as well as a few static areas that didn't vary that much (Travincal, for instance). The thing is that randomization was more apparent due to the huge size of the maps D2 generated for each area. I believe light radius had a lot to do with that "dungeon" feeling as well, making you feel small in the middle of a huge maze.

When you see something like fields of slaughter, rakkis crossing or the tower of the damned levels they don't really have much randomization to them, and they are extremely small areas. We can also pick some good examples of nice randomization, though. We have Keep levels, VotA or the halls of agony levels, which are very close to, let's say, Durance of hate in terms of size, although not as overwhelming due to the lack of light radius.

I don't think D3 areas are bad overall for farming. Some are very good, in fact. I just wish monster density was bigger in more places to allow more farming variety. When you see places like the A1 forests, it really sucks that huge space is pretty much empty most of the time. If they can do it in keep depths 2 while also providing a fairly large map, why not everywhere else? I'd expect an invasion for hell to be completely overwhelming, and not finding small packs of 5 mobs every 20 seconds walking around.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Ender
Most improvements come at a cost, sorry the randomization isn't up to your standards.

No they're(the standards) not, but here's a simple breakdown of D3, start new char, leave on right exit, finish that area go top left exit across bridge.

Swordfrag1 somewhere around left area of map, then go top right find scoundrel, then find tomb fragment key things generally northwest and in east direction, this map is always top right of where that nephalem spirit guarding that place is, go in, 0 variation.

go through tunnels find khazra staff(minor random here still always a giant circle camp in the center though and the staff is literally always around it no surprise), then travel northeast all the time until you hit leoric's highgrounds or something, then go northwest into leoric's mansion, go into basements and go bottom right, then once u erach room with warden free all prisoners or whatnot then kill warden travel bottom left, butcher look for 6 iron maiden cases and generally is in the direction northwest for the exit to Butcher Act1 boss, fin act1.

scripted enchantress path no random at all. act2,
Yeah I'm tired i dont wanna go on now, it keeps going, Act2 isnt as random as many think it is. Look more hidden footprints... -_-

That's off the top of my head after not playing since August.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/3/2013 8:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Stormyknight
If diablo 3 did anything right is its art and combat are masterfully executed.

I don't know about that maybe most of its animations and fluidity but in terms of mechanics and hit registration it's a little broken, monster is midway through swing, you vault/teleport out of its way before it finishes it swings you're miles away and the hit somehow registers on you. Not lag not bug, working as intended. Even confirmed by Bashiok way back.
Reply Quote

What randomization? Diablo 3 is like 75% fixed linear maps with a few interchangeable events that no one does.

Smaller games in budget and team have developed more content and randomized maps that far exceed Diablo 3's lackluster funnelling from point A to Point B.

Most RPG's have a linear storyline, so I don't mind. DIII's dungeons and events are randomized, sorry you didn't get the memo. Why not read the discussion if you want to engage in conversation.

It shouldnt take an expansion for the majority of these thing to be a part of the game. The things listed there are what made D2 so great they took all of them away.

What major developer doesn't provide extra content at a price? Perhaps Blizzard will patch in more features, but expansions usually guarantee new and improved content.

I did read the thread smart @ss.

Dungeons being "random" is a loose term in Diablo 3. There aren't enough tile pieces and the engine is being limited in how it combines these tile pieces. Enter a cave a dozen times and look at the layout. They are almost all the same with very minor variations. The lack of content, dungeon depth (No. of floors) and exits that can only appear in one or two ways greatly limits the layout variations.

This makes the game a complete bore with repetition. More randomized layouts = Good for re-playability.

The story being linear has nothing to do with it, by the way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]