Diablo® III

Did diablo 2 have dungeons?

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with stroking D2 here, We all get nostalgic at times, especially when remembering things we USED to do, we tend to remember things as being grander than they really were. Most of the D2 fans here probably haven't played that game in a few years, so of course they remember it as being the best game blizzard ever put out,

I've still got 3 active characters on US West plus a couple mules. I play often enough to make sure they don't expire. If it's the last thing I do I'm going to get my trapper to 99. All the time I've put into D3 is making that a little tougher.

Speaking of which... I've noticed that I haven't been piccking up as many legends here lately. Some runs I don't get any at all, most runs I get one. Occasionally I'll get a couple legends on on one run. Seems like I used to get more.

No matter... I think that, dollar for dollar, D3 is the best game I've ever played. And they're making it better on a regular basis. How much more could we ask for?

That should be good enough to improve the legendary drop rate for my toons for a few days, don't cha think? ;-)
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 today isn't that special. What's hilarious is that Diablo 3 has less features than a game did 12 years ago.

Technology and processing speed (we have maxed the chip speed, can't get any faster, physics) has come a long long way since D2-LOD....

This is the problem with diablo3 forums.... How can a person spew such random false crap? No wonder blizzard ignores 99.9% of forums posts they are laughing too hard to type. Your trying to talk about moore's law but know nothing about it... *rolls eyes*

*edit*

I also agree D2 had far better maps, items, skills and much much more. D3 is an average game which is why fans are so let down. We expected greatness but didn't see blizzard had changed from the great company they used to be into a greed driven cesspool of arrogance and false promise... We got the game Jay.Wilson wanted not the game the D2 fans wanted. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing. Walks and talks like Diablo but it's not...

RIP
Edited by GothicSaint#6149 on 1/4/2013 1:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 05:42 PMPosted by Çarltonbanks
Diablo 2 today isn't that special. What's hilarious is that Diablo 3 has less features than a game did 12 years ago.

+1

Diablo 3 took more time in getting rid of Diablo 2 rather then making it's own system.

Thus: it came out as a shell of a game.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 has...
* Less shrines --- because they took out the ones that try to kill you.
* Less items --- Less Named items yes, but Rares are more abuntant
* Less item enchantments --- because half of the ones in D2 was usfull
* Smaller maps --- Here you win, maps are smaller
* Less randomized maps --- same with lack of random
* Less classes --- give them time
* Less interesting quest rewards --- the was only 8 out of 27 quests that gave reward, 4 worth doing.
* NO LADDER --- didnt see the point of it in D2 other then as a score board
* NO PVP --- give them time
* Less gems --- less gem types, a lot more gem power
* No runes --- cuz of runewords
* No jewels --- this i dont know why, i really like jewels
* No charms --- to fill your inventory
* God awful crafting --- of all the crafting i have seen in games its not the worst
Edited by SkeletonMan#1161 on 1/4/2013 2:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 05:36 PMPosted by MonkeyDLuffy
I didn't play diablo 2 but did they have dungeons and what did diablo 2 have that made it so good? I don't get it? They both had the main object of the game is to farm, so why is diablo 3 bad. people are hypocrites they like farm but hate diablo 3?
Diablo 2 had this:
Hacked items
Duped items
Maphack
Nearly 0 difficulty

It made players feel "strong". And D2 made it easy to take shortcuts. Lv 1 Hell farmers in cows, for example.

Sure, these things added variety to the game, but players shouldn't kid themselves. D2 was a massive grinding game, and these things were simply shortcuts that players abused. Many "builds" are next to worthless without some pretty hefty items.

For all the people that scream about variety in D2, I'll ask this question - what other rings did you use beside SoJ? Helms beside Shako or Vamp Gaze? How many didn't ignore Energy, added to Str/Dex to meet minimum gear requirements and dump the rest in Vitality? The list goes on.

The contrast here is that in D3, you can't really take shortcuts (except through the RMAH). That's why people are raging about D3 - they bought a grinding game, but don't want to grind.

There's some good in D2. Runes were alright, but runewords were entirely overpowered. Jewels were a good addition, and Charms added a neat trade-off between inventory and stats. Ladders is one of the features that really needs to be added for D3.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 06:03 PMPosted by dawgiestyle

Technology and processing speed (we have maxed the chip speed, can't get any faster, physics) has come a long long way since D2-LOD....

Hmm, I'm not sure physics and graphics (not that you mentioned graphics) is that important to making a good game. Don't be so nieve to think that a good game must keep up to date with physics and grahpics. New technology does offer new features to games though, which you and others left out.

I think the gameplay, mechanics, etc is far more important. Thats what makes it a game, instead of an artwork. Agreed?
Reply Quote
the random drops is the problem, when you found a windforce in d2 (what happend very rarely) you at least knew its good, it could not be bad (it could be awesomely perfect or good) but now the chance that this windforce is useable or sellable are like 5%...

peace
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 02:27 AMPosted by CyberGoat
I didn't play diablo 2 but did they have dungeons and what did diablo 2 have that made it so good? I don't get it? They both had the main object of the game is to farm, so why is diablo 3 bad. people are hypocrites they like farm but hate diablo 3?
Diablo 2 had this:
Hacked items
Duped items
Maphack
Nearly 0 difficulty

It made players feel "strong". And D2 made it easy to take shortcuts. Lv 1 Hell farmers in cows, for example.

Sure, these things added variety to the game, but players shouldn't kid themselves. D2 was a massive grinding game, and these things were simply shortcuts that players abused. Many "builds" are next to worthless without some pretty hefty items.

For all the people that scream about variety in D2, I'll ask this question - what other rings did you use beside SoJ? Helms beside Shako or Vamp Gaze? How many didn't ignore Energy, added to Str/Dex to meet minimum gear requirements and dump the rest in Vitality? The list goes on.

The contrast here is that in D3, you can't really take shortcuts (except through the RMAH). That's why people are raging about D3 - they bought a grinding game, but don't want to grind.

There's some good in D2. Runes were alright, but runewords were entirely overpowered. Jewels were a good addition, and Charms added a neat trade-off between inventory and stats. Ladders is one of the features that really needs to be added for D3.

Did you even play diablo 2? So many rings were used other than SOJ, Angelics is the first that comes to mind. Everyone uses circlets, shako, a class helmate, andarials, or a rune word as a helm. Also, I tended to PVE solo and that gets hard when you get to hell and you've just started back up again. Yes diablo 2 has dupes, and you can chalk that up to another one of diablo 3's failures as well because items get duped on the ah all the time. Finally maphack was for noobs, if you played the game enough you had a sense of where the next dungeon would be.
Reply Quote
01/03/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Stormyknight

The overwhelming majority of the whines are from people that pk all day long in trist.

You are so wrong
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]