Diablo® III

Did diablo 2 have dungeons?

Practically every complaint about D3 boils down to, it does not include all the features of the expansion pack. It's easy to forget the bile that was being thrown at Blizzard between the launch of D2 and the release of the Expansion. I have no doubt that these same people that are on here complaining are the same that were saying "D2 Sucks" back then.
Reply Quote
I don't get it. Everyone whines that you needed more skill in diablo 2. I don't think so you only needed guide how to spend skill points and that's it. And if you didn't use any guide in d2 then your hero sucked. In d3 you can try different builds and switch from one to another easily. Unlike in d2 you had to make completely new character to do this.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 05:17 AMPosted by ROnzy
I don't get it. Everyone whines that you needed more skill in diablo 2. I don't think so you only needed guide how to spend skill points and that's it. And if you didn't use any guide in d2 then your hero sucked. In d3 you can try different builds and switch from one to another easily. Unlike in d2 you had to make completely new character to do this.

respec ability was eventually added in d2 but it took years for that to come out.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/03/2013 05:36 PMPosted by MonkeyDLuffy
I didn't play diablo 2 but did they have dungeons and what did diablo 2 have that made it so good? I don't get it? They both had the main object of the game is to farm, so why is diablo 3 bad. people are hypocrites they like farm but hate diablo 3?

You are opening up a can of worms here, well sort of. I say that there is not one single feature that made D2 so great. It has a lot of good strong features, that is what the players are wanting for this title.

Sure you have those nostalgia crowd that want this game to be a perfect copy of D2:LOD with prettier graphics and maybe a different story. But the majority here do not want that. They want D3 to have a lot of good features that will make it awesome. Right now it only has a few really strong features, some they had to borrow from D2 and change them to make them fit. MP being one where it is like the players <x> command. Paragon leveling similar to having a level 99.

Players would love the dev team if they just fix some of the issues like itemization. Making all legendaries useful. And maybe making it possible to up tier the lower level legendaries. So you can have a character that is wearing different gear from the rest. The majority of players already knows what piece of gear that they are shooting for in all slots. That makes gearing pretty boring.

Now add in more useful affixes and maybe either fix the ones that they have now to be more useful, or scrap them for better ones. Affixes that can take the place of offensive and defensive affixes we use now. Affixes that we can mix and match without losing performance in the area of dps or survivability.

Also fixing the issues with class balance, making sure all passives are useful and there are more themed builds per class that are viable in endgame. So more build diversity is needed and wanted here.

With an expansion they can add in more gear, both sets and legendaries. Adding in the mystic and talisman system would also be a blessing. Just as long as it is not a redundant version of what is already in the game.

As others will no doubt tell you that yes D2 did have dungeons, that is why it is called a dungeon crawler game.
Reply Quote

Not random, i assume you could take it further but i assume wrong...

For it time, D2 was awesome based on Technology available. Diablo 1 & Battle.net the first on-line real time server available that was free. None of the other games had supporting servers for their games. We paid a monthly fee to play on-line games on a Kali server. But hey, how would you know right?

I'm talking about in-game features. My comment has nothing to do with technology you
http://www.trapperdesign.com/images/gallery/foto/turban.jpg

Diablo 3 has...
* Less shrines
* Less items
* Less item enchantments
* Smaller maps
* Less randomized maps
* Less classes (I don't give a sh!t that d2 had 5 classes on launch, the series left off with 7)
* Less interesting quest rewards
* NO LADDER
* NO PVP
* Less gems
* No runes
* No jewels
* No charms
* God awful crafting

* Pay to Win
* Auction House necessary to reach "End Game" either costs real time or real money or bots
* A team that doesn't interact with it's community and releases content in terms of years
* The largest disapproval/early quit rate I've ever seen
* Nothing fans of this game are able to truly boast about, there is nothing standout in D3
* Cartoony graphics (not even good for 2012)
* Lost all the high profile streamers
* Continues to disappoint and is unable to keep promises because they "cant" or "dont get it"
* Has a drawing board of good ideas they'd like to share but are unable to
Reply Quote
View profile
01/04/2013 05:17 AMPosted by ROnzy

I would say that with the synergies of patch 1.10, no, those synergies made spending skill points easier. A bonemancer already has 100 skill points pre planned for him. If he does not max out Bone Spear and Bone Spirit along with the synergies for both, his dps will suffer big time.

But then again before patch 1.10 planning out how to spend your skill points was really not that hard either. Some skill like the barbarian's Iron Skin and Natural Resistance are excellent one point wonders. Also if you spent more than x amount of points into some skills you did not get as much of a return for skill point investment as you would spending them else where.

Take the necro's skill Summon Resist, who would spend more than 4 points into that skill if the necro build had the points to spend. I know that I would not because there are other things that a necro can spend points on that would be better.
Reply Quote
Somebody mentioned that there were more items in D2, but I cannot agree totaly, because when D2 came out and 1 year later it was empty as well :) It came through expansion, through patches. You can't eat 20 pizzas alone at the same dinner, no? So why you want all at once and then never experience 100% of the game. You would be lost. The concept of D3 is very good, it is dynamic, wait, I guess, and you will see. Cheers
Reply Quote
Honestly I wish I never played D1 or D2. I have a friend who is older and married and even he loves D3. This is someone who never talks about games and he keeps going on.

Anyhow here are some of things I think most people miss...

- You could go to any act without starting a new game. Sure its not a big deal to do that in D3 except you are penalized for it by losing your NV stacks.
- You had stat and skill points to distribute. This is what made your attacks more powerful so you could load up a character with magic find gear and still be effective. In D3 the MF gear is essentially worthless without main stats and resists.
- Farming could be done mid-game. I used to farm nightmare mode in D2 exclusively. There was not a huge push to hit max level where as in D3 your farming is drastically effected by not having NV stacks and paragon and not being able to put on MF gear because you need the main stats.
- There was gambling in D2. You could get some decent stuff. They nerfed the hell out of it in a patch but it was fun while it lasted.
- PvP. I wasn't really a fan of it but some people liked to duel.
- Unique weapons really made you feel like a badass. I had the Buriza-Do Kayanon with Cleglaw's Pincers. That with strafe was crazy. Freezing targets and pushing them away.

I'm probably forgetting some things but I have to go to work.
Reply Quote
Yes it did. Almost every zone had a 2 level dung. Some where item hunt hot spots! Items that only dropped in that cave alone! In the dark woods on act 1 was the only spot to get a edc. Eth Death Cleaver. Was a nice ladder only drop. This ver of diablo has better grapics yes but, The content and darkness of d 2 was lost it seems to do so. Check out just some content and items for d 2 yourself! Be the judge of what is missing in this game. The site that blizz itself made with tons of info thats, just not out for this game yet! Go to the arreat summit.com check out the unique items/ sets. Are green and gold items. O man and gotta check out how Mf was and still is set up for Diablo 2. We just got it outright takin from us this game ver!
Reply Quote
You guys are confusing randomization with massive barren plots of land with a few doors and random placement of objects.

The keep depths is the same level of random as Durance was before the size of Durance was tripled.

No absolutely not!! There were no maps in D2 or D2:LOD that you could MEMORIZE!!!

Every time i do keeps, creater, or any other so called "random map" I some how know exactly where to go as if I have been there before..........

Go play D2 and show me how you know exactly where mephisto is every single time you go into Durance of hate 2 and 3.....I'll wait for your youtube video....and no map hacks either.
Reply Quote
The map changes yes, But the areas never change! Was another cool thing about Diablo 2. It made the same area seem a tiny bit diff each time. O ya and the Runewords wow! check those out too.
Reply Quote
Ya the maphack was a program that alot of people tryed to use in D 2. You could see the boss or unique mon groups on it. With the needed Enigma armor/ runeword. Super cool runeword, anyone could just tele right to that area.
Reply Quote
Enigma would rock in this Diablo too. Take the lame timer off tele and make it use life or something. Jah Ber Ith nuff said!
Reply Quote
View profile
Diablo 3 has...
* Less shrines
* Less items
* Less item enchantments
* Smaller maps
* Less randomized maps
* Less classes (I don't give a sh!t that d2 had 5 classes on launch, the series left off with 7)
* Less interesting quest rewards
* NO LADDER
* NO PVP
* Less gems
* No runes
* No jewels
* No charms
* God awful crafting

::AHEM:: First of all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II:_Lord_of_Destruction

Take a look. A VAST majority of the things you mention in this comment were additions that Lord of Destruction added to D2 Vanilla. Says it right there.

As for what isn't covered:

-D2 Vanilla had PvP, but ladders weren't added till LONG after.
-D2 may have left off with 7 classes, but it wasn't till an expansion added two extra. That's key. We're less than a year out from D3's launch. Starting with 5 at launch is good enough.
-Randomized maps only inspired people to use MapHack. Yes, it made replaying places FEEL different, but when I've been to, let's say, Jail Level 1 and can't find the bloody door, even though I've been to that same place a bazillion times, it feels really idiotic. Making maps random may FORCE you to explore so you find the door to the next area, but now that they aren't so random in as many places, people don't WANT to explore. That's on them. Sometimes, in D3, I'll find the door to the next area right away, but I'll still cover the whole map because I might've missed an elite pack or Resplendent Chest tucked away.
-Crafting in D2 consisted of putting seemingly random objects into the cube and hitting Transmute. Unfortunately, the recipes were NOT things you could just stumble upon. Thus, you needed to look up every cryptic recipe online or in a strategy guide. I agree that D3 could use WAY better Crafting systems, offer way better rewards for pursuing Crafting tasks, and throw in hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes and materials to find...but now that Diablo actually has a formal crafting system, it'll be far better than tossing garbage into a box and hitting a button.

Look, I acknowledge that D3's release, when compared to D2's, looks like it took a step back, especially since D2 was such a VAST improvement over D1. But seeing how many things people beg for D3 to have, that were ADDED ON to D2 Vanilla via an EXPANSION, I really have no problem with D3 as it stands right now.

Looking back, D1 and D2 only had ONE expansion each. D3 needs at least TWO, and they need to be meaty. If the first expansion doesn't add a ton of content, I'll join the complainers gladly, because like it or not, expansions are great ways to put content into a game that people wanted, without changing the approach laid out for the original game at launch and if the devs had a certain thing in mind for D3 that fans aren't liking, expansions are a window back for them, a way to rectify things to give people what they want. Redemption.

However, if expansions don't add back in at least some of these features, it'll leave a lot of people disappointed, and they'll have far more right to be upset than they do now.
Edited by CardinalMDM#1269 on 1/4/2013 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 felt like an ARPG this does not. It had a dark environment dark story (not silly like Diablo 3 silly like an 8 year old would enjoy it) and the music was better even the music at the very first start screen will send shivers down your spine. It had random dungeon maps these dungeons are static much smaller and very bright. The darkness is gone. Diablo 2 had a much better social system where you were able to name your own games create chat channels etc. Diablo 3 feels lonely much more like a single player game the heart of the social system has been cut out. The items were better there were charms and runewords the crafting system was done through the horadric cube now its just a flat bland blacksmith system. Diablo himself was a beastly male not a curvy alien woman that it is now in Diablo 2 Diablo actually inspired fear he didn't constantly blab on and on about terror and junk he simply informed you once that since he was the lord of hell even death wouldn't save you. Diablo 2 is just as fun now as it was 12 years ago if you haven't experienced it I suggest you do only then you can see how horrible Diablo 3 truly is because I'm sure I've missed many more things about Diablo 2 that made it great. Much better than this abomination.
Reply Quote
Lol it was old game, noone knew how to do better looking game, that is why D2 looks darker and on the other hand - don't do max brightnes :)))))
Reply Quote
wall of text of exhaustion

There were corpses in D2.. they exploded in a bloody mess.. you could summon skeletons from them.. there was thorns that did actual damage and buffed your summons and might auras that did actual damage and buffed your summons.. non-WoW itemization that was great and drop rates that was great with great MF system.. useful mercenaries that dealt damage.. summons that dealt damage.. you could spec strength and vitality if you wanted and you could go into melee and still slaughter or be AOE death or ranged spellcaster etc... you could do so many weird builds and it would still work and require different playstyle.. character customization in D3 really sucks when it comes to what you could to in D2.. though many simply went with the cookie cutter guides to be "heroes" i did not.. I dont know how many necro i made over the years but it was my favorite character.. All the randomization in D2 was indeed what kept me playing it and the leveling system, with the stats and skill tree.. Then came the mods, monster mods with enemies everywhere and rare spawns etc it was just fun to slaughter.. D3 being always online i expected some unique things like they could tweak things on the fly, i expected that meant monster spawns etc. unique events and all kinds of stuff.. i never expected 1 stat to rule every single aspect of your character and summons and 1 type of gear build etc.. and not even melee is viable.. i never expected anything so far from Diablo.. summons cant even seem to kill one mob on their own.. pop a long cooldown skill and they cant even kill a single simple mob.. D3 seriously lacks darkness in several aspects.. the RPG the marrow of Diablo cut off from the hero..

killed you with typing lvl 1. or whatever cba... goodnight.. nice thread and yes.
Reply Quote
I didn't play diablo 2

so why is diablo 3 bad.

That's exactly the case for D3 dev team & JW, and thats the problem.

No clue about D2 but try to make a successor, insta fail.
Reply Quote
everyone cried about d2 also, kids need to !@#$ nobody wants their worthless opinions

back in 1.09 all these people whined about how blizz didnt care about d2 because there was hacked items and no patch for awhile.

sucks that theres no pvp but itll come so relax
Reply Quote
Diablo 2's dungeons are almost non existent if you were a sorceress. Just bring tons of mana potions and anyone can infinitely teleport to the boss in at least 3 minutes. So while yes, dungeons were randomized, nothing stopped people from skipping entire mobs and farming ONLY the boss. It was what I did.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]