Diablo® III

200k club

After a few hours of leveling today I finally reached 200k! I could have reached it much earlier but I wanted to maintain/increase my HP and keep somewhat respectable resistances. I think I may have failed on the resists though because even with 53 k HP, 200k dps and 5.8 life steal I still get destroyed by molten and fire chains.

I'm just looking for some upgrade advice at this point. Is there any decent upgrade I can obtain without spending 500 million?

Also are there any monks out there that can run MP9-10 very comfortably that use a different build than mine. I don't mean exchaning just one passive for another, although I am interested to know about why you may use different passives and what the benefits are. I'm interested to know if there are top end monks that use a very different build, I would like to hear how it differs, what the advantages/disadvantages are, etc. I'm asking because the build I use gets pretty boring.

Any upgrade advice for me or input on different end game builds is appreciated.
Reply Quote
Are you trying to use TR in mp10?

220k dps here, similar gear.

Litany of the undaunted with 9 IaS is very handy.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 1/6/2013 8:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Checked your profile under Diabloprogress.

The different between us is:

DPS
Me: 155k
You: 198k

EHP
Me: 650k
You: 592k

APS
Me: 2.47
You: 1.40

I assume due to low aps, your LS + ehp unable to sustain the incoming dmg.

Maybe try replace your ring with Litany? 7% reduce from elite really help. Or change to dw? Must more expensive but I am sure there are some successful mp10 2handed monk out there.

Currently comfortable up till mp9. Mp10 is doable, as long as I don't run into RD pack + additional random elite pack.
Reply Quote
No my profile has not updated. I was doing some TR runs but that was 8 hours ago. My build is exactly the same as yours exept Guiding Light is replaced by resolve.

I have to use OWE, and seize the initiative is great but I have been looking to switch resolve out with something else I just haven't found anything yet. Looking at it, guiding light would be great but I usually do solo.
Reply Quote
The other big difference between you two may also be Armor and resist.

yuuls has at least another 100 in RA and his armour is 1.5k more.

Something I've learnt:

No point for high LOH or LS if you have low health pool or not enough damage reduction.

LOH, LS, Armor, Resist and total HP all work together.

If you do go DW as yuuls suggests, try to find a WKL with 6, 25, LS, OS. Expensive but this is a BIS IMO.
Reply Quote
@yussl

Before I changed to Skorn I was DW with a 1200 dps EF and a 860 dps axe. I only lose about 10k dps with it but I can't stand the fear on the EF. Plus I only had 2.6 life steal vs. 5.8 with Skorn.

Correct me if I'm wrong but because life steal works based on damage dealt, and my DPS is higher then I would steal more life per second if we had the same life steal. If it was LOH then I can understand my lower APS being a factor.

Don't get me wrong I can hold my own doing key runs and UBER runs on MP8 without dying unless I'm standing over molten or desecrator/fire chains combo, but I have to being attacking at all times. If I'm not then my life steal isn't working, and I'm my life steal isn't working then I die REAL quick.

How much does an extra 200 all resist help or litany of the undaunted? Is it noticeable?
Reply Quote
No my profile has not updated. I was doing some TR runs but that was 8 hours ago. My build is exactly the same as yours exept Guiding Light is replaced by resolve.

I have to use OWE, and seize the initiative is great but I have been looking to switch resolve out with something else I just haven't found anything yet. Looking at it, guiding light would be great but I usually do solo.

The other build I like to use at times is change guiding light to combination strike. Then change serenity to DR - foresight. This is for SW snapshot generally though.
Reply Quote
If your looking for another passive to try besides resolve you should look into using the comb strike / WotHF (blazing fists) - dropping breath of heaven as well. this combination adds 16% dps 15ias 15ms while losing the 15% dps from blazing wrath. pretty nice pick-up imo.
Reply Quote
@yussl

Before I changed to Skorn I was DW with a 1200 dps EF and a 860 dps axe. I only lose about 10k dps with it but I can't stand the fear on the EF. Plus I only had 2.6 life steal vs. 5.8 with Skorn.

Correct me if I'm wrong but because life steal works based on damage dealt, and my DPS is higher then I would steal more life per second if we had the same life steal. If it was LOH then I can understand my lower APS being a factor.

Don't get me wrong I can hold my own doing key runs and UBER runs on MP8 without dying unless I'm standing over molten or desecrator/fire chains combo, but I have to being attacking at all times. If I'm not then my life steal isn't working, and I'm my life steal isn't working then I die REAL quick.

How much does an extra 200 all resist help or litany of the undaunted? Is it noticeable?

Yes, you are right on LS based on dmg deal, but you also need to take into account that aps affect LS as much as LOH. The faster you hit, the more life leech you gain from attack. I get about 2-8k life per hit. And with high aps, I will gain more life than your 5.8 LS.
Reply Quote

I use 471 AR and litany of the undaunted - at 220k dps I generally only die if i'm not paying much attention to the game.

Yes, you are right on LS based on dmg deal, but you also need to take into account that aps affect LS as much as LOH. The faster you hit, the more life leech you gain from attack. I get about 2-8k life per hit. And with high aps, I will gain more life than your 5.8 LS.

You haven't explained how APS effects LS. If life steal is a percentage of damage dealt converted to life, and he deals more damage per second... then how will you gain more life? ~ I guess you're talking about cyclone damage.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 1/6/2013 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
@yussl

OP - I'm not sure I agree with yuusi's reasoning here. I think your original reasoning about ls is correct. Where aps becomes a factor though is your cyclone proc rate. with higher aps you will proc more cyclones which will deal damage and proc ls. if you aps is too low although your unbuffed dps may be higher your average effective dps may be lower
Reply Quote
I am not good in theory craft, but I will give it a shot. Correct me if I am wrong.

Based on d3up.

MH - 63k / 2.25 aps
OH - 62k / 2.78 aps
LS - 2.8%

So in under one second, I am able to ditch out 2.47 time of hits. Which if none of the hits is cri, I will get about 7-8k in return. If all the hits are cri, I will gain back 20-30k life.

Not talking about LS from cyclone, just purely LS from hits.
Reply Quote
@cayzer - damn it, you keep saying what i'm going to say but 2min earlier :P
Reply Quote
I am not good in theory craft, but I will give it a shot. Correct me if I am wrong.

Based on d3up.

MH - 63k / 2.25 aps
OH - 62k / 2.78 aps
LS - 2.8%

So in under one second, I am able to ditch out 2.47 time of hits. Which if none of the hits is cri, I will get about 7-8k in return. If all the hits are cri, I will gain back 20-30k life.

lets make this simple. if your dps was 200k w/ 2aps and someone had 200k w/ 1aps yes you are gonna hit 2x as much but for 1/2 the dmg each hit (that's y both of u have the same dps if your not talking about cyclones) so in fact you will ls the same amount
Edited by Artemiss#1640 on 1/6/2013 9:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Based on d3up.

MH - 63k / 2.25 aps
OH - 62k / 2.78 aps
LS - 2.8%

lets make this simple. if your dps was 200k w/ 2aps and someone had 200k w/ 1aps yes you are gonna hit 2x as much but for 1/2 the dmg each hit (that's y both of u have the same dps if your not talking about cyclones) so in fact you will ls the same amount

Just do some calculation and it seen you are right.

Doorway: 11189 life steal per sec
Yuusl: 8766 life steal per sec

Assuming none of the hit is cri.

Then I got no idea why he is unable to do mp9-10. As my ehp is only slightly higher than him.

Sorry typo should be *unable
Edited by yuusl#1866 on 1/6/2013 11:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
I never said I could do MP9-10. In fact I haven't even tried. I die enough with MP8 to know I need to make some changes before attempting MP9-10.

About life steal. I would say in a tight situation it would definitely be more beneficial to have more APS. Using Artemis' example: If I did 200k dps with 1 aps I might be killed within that 1 second. If I did 200k dps with 2 aps I would at least be stealing life every half a second. I believe I would have survived a number of times if that were the case.

I think I will try comb strike. I see a lot of ppl using this build, it must be somewhat viable. I think I really just need to get more AR and armor. The prices on AR gear is just ridiculous though. Take a great item and add 70-80 AR and the price basically doubles.
Reply Quote
@doorway

Got a typo in my previous replied. I mean why you are unable to do mp9-10, when both of our stats are not far apart.

Your point of stealing life per half a second might seem like a valid point too. Together with more ehp. Get a litany instead, it come with AR, cri, dex. Try roll it with avg dmg, if IAS is out if your budget.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
@doorway

i was struggling with mp10 for the longest time using a build like yours with 820 resist, 4.5 LS and 150 LoH. the simple problem was the skorn. even with IAS on every possible slot, the slow attack speed just couldn't proc my sustain enough to manage getting mobbed by elites.

i've switched over to a DW gear since then and dropped around 15k DPS (unbuff) and 120 resist to upgrade my LS to 5.8 and LoH to 300.

barely die anymore and i can even manage 2 or 3 elite packs together, well... usually...

XD
Edited by Stryder#1200 on 1/6/2013 11:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Family guy was a rerun tonight.

sadface
Reply Quote
View profile
Family guy was a rerun tonight.

sadface

Not in Wisconsin it wasn't. All 4 of the shows were new :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]