Diablo® III

calling pros! another "help me!" thread

View profile
i just had my b'day on the 9th and the missus asked me what's something frivolous i would like for just myself. the answer was D3 $.

so once my payment goes through, i'll have $100 USD to play with. this will be far more than i've ever had before. i want to spend it really really wisely, and would highly value your input. whenever i build up some gold, it burns right through my pocket so quickly.

i need to up my dps, and i also want another edge of sustain - LOH or LS. Vrkhyz has pointed out that a touch of LOH would go a long way for me with my mitigation, and attack speed. if i got this on a ring, this would let me upgrade my EF with no need for LS, meaning i could go cd and socket for higher DPS. although LS is tasty.

should i aim for a nat's boots (with regen of course) and a nat's ring??

i want to remain (stubbornly) at really high mitigation and LPS. i've chatted with some of you in the past about this and i know it's not the quickest or most efficient way to upgrade, but i'm going to continue with it.

what are your suggestions please? should i go all out with it on one major upgrade? or spread it around? or just sit and wait for the right thing to come along?

i've seen ice climbers on the Ah a while ago that had more resis, lps, higher dex (once i put in gem) as well as movement speed and 12% life. should i just wait for those rare things to pop up and then when they do, i'll have the gold to actually buy them? oh how i wish i could have afforded those at the time...
Edited by MrMojoRisin#6850 on 1/11/2013 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
First of all, I'm so not worthy to be listed in there amongst the other superstars of the monk forums, but I am honoured that you have included me in the list. There are plenty of others that can offer good advice, so just calling out a select few may discourage some others who are more knowledgeable from suggestions.

With that said, I will say this. In tracking your posts over the months, I have noticed that you have prided yourself on this particular build, and I have always appreciated your efforts to gear outside of the box. Don't throw it out just because you have extra money. I'd actually suggest you keep this one intact, and level up another monk and then gear out that monk from scratch and see where you land as your RMAH monk (and choose a gearing philosophy that suits your playstyle, preferably not a tanky one, since your LPS monk already fills that role). It can give you a point of comparison to see which one is actually stronger (which scenarios that high LPS can outperform the cookie cutter monk). I think that $100 can probably go pretty far if you do it well when you can consider what one can do with just 20M gold (as demonstrated by Piffle). And you won't have the emotional attachment to the gear you have on your current monk that may hinder you from spending where you need.

For myself, I have only really geared up on a tight budget (never touching RMAH), so I'm not sure where I'd go if I had that money in RMAH. Heck, I'm still struggling to figure out how best to spend the 60M gold I have just sitting in my account. I might follow Piffle's lead and wait until the next patch comes out before I drop significant gold on any future significant upgrades (it's something he's done for each patch, as gear prices seem to drop immediately after a patch is released as people re-gear for new content).

If you end up going the route of starting from scratch, you will have far more options open to you and I think people can pipe in with some great suggestions - gotaplanstan has a good post comparing the relative merits of legendaries vs. rares depending on gearing philosophy, as well as kameljabber's links to a bunch of other guides and useful threads.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents that I have so far.
Reply Quote
View profile
thank you, Nameless! i will consider it - i will never drop this monk, never!

hmm maybe i'll change the topic title and opening part then... open up to suggestions from everyone...
Reply Quote
View profile
starting to get buried by patch excitement!
Reply Quote
View profile
nobody else wants to weigh in??
Reply Quote
Don't give up. But now that it's the weekend, there may not be the kind of quick responses as you would otherwise hope. People (like me) tend to post on forums to pass the time at work. If you don't get too many bites over the weekend, bump it on Monday morning (NA time, since I understand you are in Australia, right?) and I'm sure you will get responses. :)
Reply Quote
View profile
thanks mate!
Reply Quote
try blackthorne jousting mail for a 75+ res all and 300+ regen? you will lose your cold res and ~200 armor, but gain that loh. :)
Reply Quote
Seansky anticipated me. You could try to keep your regen-style and try a transition to abandon OWE. You still have a lot of potential. you have some items that are OTT. Also you will need to leave hellring I believe...

You could buy an Inna's radiance with ar instead of cold. You have the advantage of having the right amount of hp (34) and can upgrade tht if needed with an amethyst.

what bout changing your gloves for ar. I've seen better gloves for nice prices (with similar affixes).

Ps: I always loved your monk :P

I'll wait for some feedback but you'are ok. And as nameless said. Better wait for patch. Just bid on some items and see where this goes :)

Edit: link to my profile (EU) http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Bramandor-2668/hero/14408695 My DH has a chest that you may consider looking foor in the AH (like the one you have but with sockets ;D)
Edited by Bramandor#2668 on 1/12/2013 2:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
not a fan of how much i would have to sacrifice to take on the blackthorne's.

leaning towards the nat's ring and boots. d3 up says that a 79-80 all res nat's boots, with their inherent armour bonus, will actually keep me at even mitigation, even if i lose the cold resist. they're actually relatively cheapish, although the max dex roll when you get lps is 200 dex, so i lose a bit there, but the 2-piece set bonus more than makes up for it. and i can find a nat's ring with about 200 lps and 300 - 400 loh....

then again, i know there are ice climbers out there with more resists, equal dex and the 12% life is something i could really really use.

i'm not planning to drop OWE. my lps only works in conjunction with ridiculous armour and resists
Reply Quote
Its hard to give advice to your Monk. Your one of those Monks with a different build. Which I respect and like. With that being said, because of that its going to be hard for other players to offer a lot of advice.

The idea of going Nats Boots + Nats Ring is a good thought. Nats has the Resist and Regen, both stats that you love and want. You could score a Nats boots with Regen and decent dex around 190 for like 10mil. You will lose only 30-40 resist and like 50 dex. If you get a good Nats ring, you should gain a lot with the 7 CC Nats Bonus. You will have to drop a lot of your money on the Nats Ring Probably 200mil++++. You want one with either CC or CD, plus other useful stats. It seems you were already leaning towards this anyway. ^_^

That's really all I can think of atm, I wish I could help more. GL~
Edited by Teckno#1555 on 1/12/2013 3:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
thanks! all input is appreciated!
Reply Quote
Patch notes are online. Wait till patch for spending spree. Some items will plumm.
Reply Quote
well dont get 2 piece for the vit bonus if you feel gimped on blackthorne. But the sacrifice from your pants is smaller than the ring if u try to get 400 loh on it. Theres not even 1 nat ring on AH that has 300 regen and loh with decent all res. Just sayin the sacrifice made on there will be huge compared to your pants. :)

That or you can keep trying to roll a hellfire with loh, regen, all res, crit chance and atk speed. :D
Reply Quote
Happy Birthday
Reply Quote
View profile
well dont get 2 piece for the vit bonus if you feel gimped on blackthorne. But the sacrifice from your pants is smaller than the ring if u try to get 400 loh on it. Theres not even 1 nat ring on AH that has 300 regen and loh with decent all res. Just sayin the sacrifice made on there will be huge compared to your pants. :)

That or you can keep trying to roll a hellfire with loh, regen, all res, crit chance and atk speed. :D

nats seem to roll about 200 lps or so. they don't seem to be able to reach up to 300. the sacrifice on the pants will be heaps of mitigation - which i'm pretty against losing.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/12/2013 03:46 AMPosted by Kojin
Happy Birthday

thank you!
Reply Quote
lol my bad, i meant 200.

but what would u wanna sacrifice on ur ring tho? It would be easy if you just replace ur hellfire for nat with loh, but ur other ring is pretty full on. Maybe you can sacrifice your average dmg, but i dont think u would wanna sacrifice ur dps either. :P
Reply Quote
View profile
yeah... hmm not going to do the nat's thing, i think. might just be patient and find the perfect thing(s)
Reply Quote
View profile
anyone else?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]