Diablo® III

Reducing Friend Invitation Spam

I was wondering what was happening. Super cereal, I get close to 15-20 gold spam friend requests a day. Most of them recently are coming from d3walmart.
Reply Quote
Hey Lylirra when can we go on PTR? :D
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:37 AMPosted by Haj
Hey Lylirra when can we go on PTR? :D

Angels cannot hear human QQ from the High Heavens!
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Carthaginian
Welcome to June 2012.....better late than never I suppose.

this. 100% this.

Why wasn't this added in BETA?
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:04 AMPosted by Dedmnwlkn
Well i might be missing something but what is to stop someone from reporting someone cause they just want to and not necessarily spamming?Is there a way to tell the difference?

Easy, they just check the chat that caused the spam to be reported...
Reply Quote
This could be fixed as well Lylirra if the ability for trial accounts had the sending friend requests revoked excepting people they are in game with.

"Full" accounts can send requests to all users (with this new spam option enabled still), yet trial accounts cannot try and friend request full users.

This way for example, if a friend starts playing on a trial account, you can still join his game, help them out with demon slaying. Yet the spammers cannot send any requests to "full" customers.

Bingo. All spam stopped instantly! (excepting to some of the trial accounts, yet with this new feature, alot of that spam would vanish as well)
Edited by skitzflik#1694 on 1/15/2013 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
Awesome! Laying down the hammer! I am sure the van see the difference between the reporting abuse and real spam reporting. This is The way it should have always been. We all know what spam looks like and if it looks like spam...... DELETE!
Reply Quote
Sweet, good to hear that Blizz has been listening about these nuisances.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Will this be available in WoW, too? Because, unless I've overlooked something in the UI, there isn't a way to mark a friend invite as spam within the WoW UI. Or will those of us with both games have to log out of WoW and into D3 in order to mark an invite as spam?
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:21 AMPosted by Lylirra
I'm guessing it'll be more than one report though, correct? Hopefully more than a handful? This can very easily be abused if it's not, :/.

I'm super hesitant to provide that information (given that those details could be used to abuse the system), but suffice it to say that there are checks and balances in place. Simply reporting another player for Friend Invitation spam does not mean that all their invitations will suddenly disappear.

Like I said:

If you happen to receive a friend invitation that's spam, please continue to use the "Report Spam" option as normal so that our support staff can review the complaint.

This would be an awesome time to ban Lemmywinks from the game for his atrocious attitude... and his marginal stable of HC characters.
Reply Quote
Thank you this is great! (sitting on 20 friend's requests)!
Reply Quote
Typical, they make a quality of life change that people have demanded and all people can say is "Why didn't it happen sooner!"
Reply Quote
I, for one, am happy to hear about this. Spammers can die! And I'm sure the system will be tweaked as needed.
Reply Quote
this is good to hear. accounts that have been reported multiple times for spamming will be flag by blizzard so the next time they sent a request it will be automatically deleted. i dont think this will be abused because you cant report a person for spamming unless he sents you a request first or you happen to be in the same chat/channel all the time. but the point is multiple players reporting that account.

/thumbsup!
Reply Quote
VERY happy with this. Took too long for this change to come, but happy none the less.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Sixen
any outgoing friend requests from players who are reported for spamming invitations will be proactively deleted.

I'm guessing it'll be more than one report though, correct? Hopefully more than a handful? This can very easily be abused if it's not, :/.

Holy hell you gear is horrible for an "MVP". You learn by playing many hours.
Reply Quote
limiting the number of outgoing friend requests per day would practically eliminate this problem.

yet we're provided another reactive measure (report them), rather than a proactive one (stop the invites even being sent).

i realise theres some bigger game design vision/philosophy behind all these actiblizz decisions, and thats great, but I simply just don't get it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]