Diablo® III

REND is the answer......

Been playing on the PTR a bit and rend seems to be our best way to kill early on. The build I've been using:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acYSgX!hYZ!aaZZaY

You'll notice the only fury spender I have is rend, everything else is a generator. Why rend and not HoTA? Simple, rend cannot be dodged, ravage gives it a VERY good range. And more importantly it out lasts monks serenity, DH SS, WD's Spirit Walk and easily shatters Wiz diamond skin and they start taking damage. So far 99% of what I hit with rend dies. Our issue is so far in the inability to close the distance to our target. So my build tries to focus on limiting their mobility with threatening shout while handicapping their damage and focusing on my mobility to get in. Leap with call of arreat is great for this as it sucks everything in near your point of impact which leads to easy rend for the kill.

Rend hits targets regardless of the fact that they go into serenity or SS immediately upon your landing. Which is pretty funny to say the least. Leap on a DH, he tries to SS to escape immediately hit rend and you see a cross appear a few feet from where he disappeared from...lol good stuff. Same thing with a WD and spirit walk. Monks try to hit their panic button and use serenity which stops the damage for a bit but rend lasts 5 seconds the longest they can go in serenity is 4, you still kill them.

Ground Stomp is also very good for characters that can't disappear and pulls them towards you. Furious charge is yet another mobility tool and also if you hit something with it, they take massive damage.

This build is far from perfect and it's not the answer to everything as barbs are still woefully out matched by all the other classes thanks to us NEEDING to generate fury while they start with full resource bars. But this build so far has at least made my barb competitive.

EDIT: If you read all this sorry to report after much testing, the barb is just terrible for pvp at this point. He really needs to be able to start with full fury to have a remote chance in hell. Much to easy to kite and keep at range and pick him apart. Been testing and tweaking the build and while rend is still great, you just cannot close the distance to them fast enough reliably enough. I tried a throw barb build with a -5 IK belt I have and still got routinely owned by ranged classes that have free to cast long distance attacks like the WD (OMG the WD is nasty in PvP) and DH.
Edited by Death#1408 on 1/15/2013 11:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Stun is the answer. U don't have enough Stun. And the answer to stun is Weapon Throw.

Edit...

Get a belt that reduces weapon throw cost. Get a full immortal king set and using the skill unforgiving.
Edited by WakaWaka#1683 on 1/15/2013 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
While weapon throw is pretty good too, there is just too many obstacles to throw around that they can run behind. I have a -5 throw belt and did try it, but this above build worked better and had more mobility for me.
Reply Quote
im going to have to agree with wakawaka. might have to invest in a full ik set just for pvp. barbs are straight up handicaped if u cant get close enough to land the killing blow.
Reply Quote
I really thought Barbs would be great in this. I will not use my barb at this time. Why ? Because my DH can take out a barb in a sec. The only barbs that has a chance to do anything is the ones that use weapons throw. I know some of you think bs. But it's true. When I can go in and take down a barb with over 7k armor, 60k + life and resist over 500, in just sec, and have over 250k dps, it's sad.

This game has got to be fixed. I killed them with HA and out of range of anything the barb could do. The only character that gave me any problems was the Monk. I will try my Monk out, but not the barb. I go along with alot of players and say blizz needs to make a reduction in damage.

I am not saying all DH's will do the same , but I am saying a DH with over 250k dps will put a sign on a barb saying You're Dead. At this time it's not fun killing in 1 or 2 shots.
Reply Quote
That was my first thought when PTR went up today. Is all the other classes get to unload stacked up resources while we start with zero.

I think a place to start with a solution is to remove resource cost from the equation by either making skills free or giving everyone increased resource regeneration, or at the very least specifically to barbs.

In Diablo 2, all skills consumed mana and everyone started out with full mana. It was also considered "good manners" in D2 duels to consume mana pots during a fight (but not health pots) so as to be able to continually use one's abilities. I think resource costs should be either removed or significantly decreased. Barbs need to spawn with full fury in a duel and not degenerate fury to keep the playing field more equal. It's as if we automatically require unforgiving to get a start.

One solution is that fury should function in the duel arena the same way that monk's spirit does. Starts full, does not degenerate, using skills regens it. Simple, easy fix.

Another, more broad solution along these lines would be in tradition with Diablo 2 and eliminate the imbalance. Of course, zone-wide damage reduction in the PVP area needs to be implemented as well so fights aren't over immediately.
Edited by sfxer#1565 on 1/15/2013 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
There is not a single game I know that melee is able to beat range characters consistently. Very often input lag is an issue following gap closers causing alot of melee attacks to whiff.

If barbs have to resort to weapon throw to beat a range character, they will be at the bottom of the barrel due to how inferior our range skills are compared to theirs.

Hopefully this would reduce some of the PvE-WW barb QQ. PvP'ers are infinitely greater whiners than PvE'ers.
Reply Quote
Purple gems is the answer overall.

I've only found 2 viable builds

Weapon throw or Ancient spear with Ground Stomp

Barbs suck >_>
Edited by FeRMi#1453 on 1/15/2013 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
reflect dmg = kill all them pesky buggers and lol
Reply Quote
Haven't tried it yet but has anyone tried an old school pre-patch 1.03 tank barb? I find it hard to believe 100k life/10k armor/1k res all/50% block/2k+ regen wouldn't prevent a barb from being 1 shot.
Reply Quote
@ Richtko

I believe if somehow the barb could get close to a DH and land a hit, the dh would be dead meat. Now the Monk can get close and drop a DH, Why ? Because a Monk that uses Dashing Strike, and SSS is a DH killer. And the Monk is harder to kill. Now how well a Monk does with a barb, I will find out tomorrow when I use my Monk.
Reply Quote
Catching them sure, I can see that being a problem but we also have skills like ignore pain-contempt for weakness that reflect's 50% damage which would insta-kill most dh's so the problem is more one of survival I would think.
Last month I stacked my barb up with "godly" tank gear that's fairly cheap now that we don't need it anymore (think I paid 20 mil total) CC 34% SS/ 2x justice lanterns/HoC with high AR, etc and he could stand in mp10 molten and survive with just revenge every 5-10 sec to top his life off. It would be interesting to see how it would do in pvp.
Reply Quote
@ Richtko

The 50% reflect might be good if the dh is a glass cannon, Then agin if the dh has high dps and one or two shots you, that 50% reflect damage doesn't mean much if the dh is also using Gloom. The only way this is going to work is if Blizz has an across the board reduction in damage so everyone has a chance. There are DH's out there that are doing way over 400k dps and are not glass cannons. I am not a glass cannon and have taken out Barbs that can solo Ubers on MP 10. My DH can't do that, but I can kill a high end barb.

That's why I am not going to duel with my barb, my Monk yes, my DH yes, but not my Barb untill Blizz fixes this mess.
Reply Quote
Well I edited the original post. The barb is just broken for PvP. Too many short comings to be able to compete. We really need a full fury bar at the start to stand a chance and even then it still wont be pretty. Well barbs we had a good run as the top tier class but that ship has just run aground. PvP we suck in it's current state. :(
Edited by Death#1408 on 1/15/2013 11:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Guys. I agree with Death. Rend is amazing.
But, I also gotta say, if you have the attack speed like me, then Weapon Throw (stunning hammer) can help you close the distance to deliver that rend.
Kudos to Death for discovering Rend's amazing pvp ability. I'm a dual-wield (non-skorn), and even for me, rend works well.
Reply Quote
Weapon throw is a must. I just tested for 4 hours, and I think i came up with a viable build that works on all classes. I"ll share tomorrow. Was owning a zombie dog WD today and some wizards with storm armor.
Reply Quote
I'll rather just roll a range class for PvP.

Trying to build up fury while range classes can just finish us off with their resource generators are so not fun.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 12:29 AMPosted by WakaWaka
Weapon throw is a must. I just tested for 4 hours, and I think i came up with a viable build that works on all classes. I"ll share tomorrow. Was owning a zombie dog WD today and some wizards with storm armor.

Zombie dogs sucks for pvp, they are to unreliable in tracking their target. So far my WD is decimating PvP with well of souls and haunt and leaping spiders. I think at this point unless blizzard does something to change pvp, my barb is officially just for farming in pve. Sad but true.

WD is really doing well in pvp actually. Well of souls does great damage and homes in on targets same for haunt and leaping spiders. My WD actually was going toe to toe with legacy nats DHs and doing pretty well.
Edited by Death#1408 on 1/16/2013 1:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 01:19 AMPosted by Death

Zombie dogs sucks for pvp, they are to unreliable in tracking their target. So far my WD is decimating PvP with well of souls and haunt and leaping spiders. I think at this point unless blizzard does something to change pvp, my barb is officially just for farming in pve. Sad but true.

WD is really doing well in pvp actually. Well of souls does great damage and homes in on targets same for haunt and leaping spiders. My WD actually was going toe to toe with legacy nats DHs and doing pretty well.

There are PVP tournaments on twitch. Almost every seat on top 3 taken by WDs.

I think it has come full circle. The most underpowered PVE class dominates pvp lol :P
Reply Quote
Keik was right about WDs dominating and everyone with common sense and an iq above 90 was right about barbs being trash tier. Also, you still owe me about 50m gold and a chance to take your dh on a joyride.

Acrimony, I bet you're glad you sold out before pvp hit.

Blizzard has repeatedly stated clearly that d3 is a pve game and they will not be focusing on pvp outside of scraps of meat like raw dueling. Even with damage reductions the odds do not change favorably for barbs because the core game design (ranged imbalance and resource generation) are simply too broke to ever be balanced. Though surely at least the top 1% of over-rmahed barbs are able to compete in pvp?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]