Diablo® III

Best Wizard build for HC?

Just hit 60 a few nights ago, and although I'm doing pretty well in act 2, I'm still using the same build that used while leveling. What's considered to be the safest/most effective hardcore wizard build right now?
Reply Quote
safe wizard build? that's an oxymoron right?
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 06:51 PMPosted by battlematt
safe wizard build? that's an oxymoron right?

As safe as possible for a wizard :p
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZYlOX!ZfW!acccca

I'm partial to this one. Haven't met a croud, Champ, or Elite yet that I can't totally dismantle with this set-up.

Most things never even know what hit them.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZYlOX!ZfW!acccca

I'm partial to this one. Haven't met a croud, Champ, or Elite yet that I can't totally dismantle with this set-up.

Most things never even know what hit them.

Any particular gear requirement for that?
Reply Quote
there are no cookie cutter builds to use here. Look at the vast majority of Barbs/WD's/monks...that should tell you something about wiz lol.
Reply Quote
Check my profile and see what I'm sporting.

It's not the best but it get's the job done.

You will need a good weapon. Electrocute (with the Chain lightning rune) is a GREAT skill! You also want to look for items that reduce the time you are effected by CC effects. I've never had a problem with Jailer or frozen affixes at all. Because they are under my affixes WAY more often than I am under theirs.

Mobs run at you and all that's left is ice cubes, charred bad guys, and the faint smell of ozone hanging in the air.

Step 1- immobilize your opponent- Frost nova works great.
Step 2- drop a blizzard and reposition yourself so that the closest enemy is between you and the rest of the pack.
Step 3- kill closest enemy with RoF- the black ice patch does crazy damage as the critters walk through it to get to you.
Step 4- While you are watching the close enemies die- spray the crowd liberally with the chain lightning.

Rinse and repeat until baddies are done. Rarely will anything get within spitting distance. If it does- that's why they made Diamond skin. Drop DS, and another frost nova and bail.

Not only is this super effective- it's impressive to watch.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 1/4/2013 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like my build, check it out in profile if you like. It's a little bit different then what most wiz I've seen use.
Reply Quote
You need around 40% crit and 18-20AP on crit to run this - you'll never even come close to dieing, you just continually stun and dps, little boring being so tanky. You can also take Prism(Diamond Skin) or run Slow Time(Stretch Time) instead of teleport for increased dps/attack speed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VhYOXQ!ZWg!accZaa

Or archon build focus more on Crit/Crit dmg, don't run this without a LS weapon 1hander/2hander. Again you can change Magic Weapon to Blood Magic if you want, I also like to run Storm Armor (Scramble) instead of Energy armor (Pinpoint) for mobility sake but you risk being more squishy with the loss of armor.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RmSOXj!Zfg!cZZZZa
Reply Quote
Spartanbeast- I dig your build.

Never tried an all-arcane build like that before. I'll have to give it a try.
Reply Quote
you can also check what my Softcore wizard is wearing. I was soo much tired of dying vs RD in mp4-5 that I came with something unkillable.

This work best with very high hp, armor, all resist, around 500 dex, Unstabble anomaly and blur.
Reply Quote

Thanks @WhitOwl!

Using Temporal Flux with Arcane Hydra is the main "synergy" Everything is slowed for a couple seconds. I was using blizzard before but dps is high enough now that I don't really need the extra slowing time from blizzard anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQjTkd!agZ!YcYZbZ Is also pretty fun.
Reply Quote
Swampdonkeys- your build looks really interesting as well! I didn't even know about that teleport rune you use. Really cool.

I am gonna have to jump back a difficulty and do some testing on these builds. . .I'm curious.

I've used the same build since Tyreal was in puberty.
Reply Quote
Check my profile and see what I'm sporting.

It's not the best but it get's the job done.

You will need a good weapon. Electrocute (with the Chain lightning rune) is a GREAT skill! You also want to look for items that reduce the time you are effected by CC effects. I've never had a problem with Jailer or frozen affixes at all. Because they are under my affixes WAY more often than I am under theirs.

Mobs run at you and all that's left is ice cubes, charred bad guys, and the faint smell of ozone hanging in the air.

Step 1- immobilize your opponent- Frost nova works great.
Step 2- drop a blizzard and reposition yourself so that the closest enemy is between you and the rest of the pack.
Step 3- kill closest enemy with RoF- the black ice patch does crazy damage as the critters walk through it to get to you.
Step 4- While you are watching the close enemies die- spray the crowd liberally with the chain lightning.

Rinse and repeat until baddies are done. Rarely will anything get within spitting distance. If it does- that's why they made Diamond skin. Drop DS, and another frost nova and bail.

Not only is this super effective- it's impressive to watch.

do u farm act3 with this build?
Reply Quote
Man, I've been changing the build on my wizard almost every time I run. Can't settle on anything. Giving black ice and piercing orb a run at the moment.

The only thing I've been sticking with is hydra, mirror image, and teleport. I know that MI is not as popular as DS - and it's probably not as good - but it's way more fun.

I'm only on A1 inferno at the moment, but I should be able to do A3. I should go ahead and get there so I have more credibility as a wizard. :)
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Sunshine
I'm only on A1 inferno at the moment, but I should be able to do A3. I should go ahead and get there so I have more credibility as a wizard. :)

Alright, just got to A3 after playing around with a ton of builds in A1 and A2. My takeaway - wizards are fun as hell. Seriously. I may have a new favorite class.

Not sure that I found a safest build, but you can use slow time, mirror image, and teleport to almost never get hit. I ran without an armor skill through most of A2 and never had a problem. I switched out MI for energy armor (prismatic armor) for A3, and I've been holding up fine so far. It leaves me without a way to break frozen, but I thought I needed a boost to my baseline defensive stats.
Reply Quote
I used this on my alt softcore (which had around 30k less damage than it has now) w/o dying while playing it through Inferno.... so I'm using this on HC without much issues so far (currently going through the Black Soulstone quest).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcXdiT!bgW!cYaZYc

Once I get to Belial, three changes will be to switch to Venom Hydra, switch out Cold Blooded for Unstable Anomaly, and swap out Wave of Force for Magic Weapon/Blood Magic for that particular fight. For Act 3+4, I can go back to Frost Hydra but I'd have to switch from Storm Armor to Energy Armor/Prismatic and incorporate either Frost Nova or Teleport.
Reply Quote
For Belial you should use Blur. All of his phase 3 attacks are considered to be melee (except possibly the breath).
Edited by Shelendil#1520 on 1/6/2013 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
I used this build for the better part of Inferno: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlXgQO!bZW!ZYaYac

If you have high(ish) crit, the above build is pretty strong. I was able to get through most of Inferno with it without any life on hit, life steal or regen.

While my wizard unfortunately died just before the finish line on Iskatu, I'm convinced this build would have carried me through A4. I just should have switched to spectral blades - healing blades and Iskatu would have gone down easy (i think). You do need high crit to make the build work though... otherwise forked lightning is no good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]