Diablo® III

What happened to the promised Monk redesign changes?

A while ago, both Lyrlirra and Vaeflare made comments regarding changes that were coming down the line for Monks.

Lyrilla: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883?page=45#889
I think you may have misunderstood. The kinds of changes we're currently considering for monks (the changes we feel would best benefit the class) go beyond simply upping one number or lowering another. The examples Vaeflare provided for Dashing Strike and Lashing Tail Kick fall into this category. Adjusting numbers is fairly easy to do, but redesigning how a skill or skill rune works is much more complex. While we still may tweak some skill values in the future, right now we're looking at changes that require a little more development time.

As for "what was the last mechanic change you made that did not involve either 'doubling it' or cutting it in half"? From 1.0.5, the changes to Companion and Sentry are great examples, and we're redesigning some runes this patch too. From 1.0.4, witch doctor pet improvements were pretty notable. We also changed the format for how damage over time is dealt for a number of skills, as well.

Looking at the patch notes, all you did was change numbers. So what happened to the redesign of skills/runes that was supposed to take longer?

Vaeflare: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883?page=32#629
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

Ultimately, we want to make monks more engaging to play and really immerse players in what it would feel like to be a fast-punching martial arts master. We have a number of ideas on how to accomplish that for the future, and we want to provide improved passives, particularly passives that can be used for a more offensively-minded monk. I also mentioned two other possible changes we’re considering in my previous post, but those certainly aren’t the only changes we’re looking into. They address another area we feel could use improvement, and that’s giving players some additional, more active play style options.

Vaeflare also makes mention to these mythical changes that are not simply tweaking numbers. He also makes reference to offensive-minded passives which, as far as I can tell, never made it to the table either. Monk passives are completely underwhelming, as is.

So whatever happened to the Monk changes that were more than just number tweaks? Whatever happened to the Skill/Rune redesigns? Whatever happened to the offensive-minded passives?

-- Piffle, the Disappointed Monk
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 1/16/2013 10:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please explain!
Reply Quote
These changes are disappointing.
Reply Quote
I am shocked that this is acceptable.
Reply Quote
Agreed, wizards were promised something similar for our passives and "synergies" and all we saw was more ranged wizard damage increases and a few number bump ups from 2 passives..

pretty disappointed as well so I feel yah monks. .

EDIT: Should be on PTR feedback forum though, that's where our CM's are most active right now.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 1/16/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Piffle
Vaeflare also makes mention to these mythical changes that are not simply tweaking numbers. He also makes reference to offensive-minded passives which, as far as I can tell, never made it to the table either. Monk passives are completely underwhelming, as is.

Vaeflare is not a "He".
Reply Quote
I agree entirely with what you had to say Piffle. Everything is a valid question posed to the D3 Dev team. If this is just a beginning we need to know, otherwise it is very worrying for the future of class developement. I posted a thread with your OP in the PTR feedback forum here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202447#1
Reply Quote
while you people may wonder "why" you can be sure that every fan boy don't give a flying kick about what they actually do in their patches. so its okay... there are still 5 million of them and blizz aren't entitled to do anything more than "% damage increase in 2 skills" no matter what they have said before.
Reply Quote
Agree with Piffle..I would like to see a CM reply....but knowing how much ignoring goes on around here when it comes to MONK I won't be surprised to see it go unanswered.
Reply Quote
I COMPLETELY agree. While I can't argue with the all around buffs of skills, particularly to those that nobody uses, they're just number tweaks to spirit spenders. There aren't any compelling passives, and no changes that modify the way a skill works that would make someone want a skill (for example, enhanced mobility, AOE, etc).

"The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though." rings a little hollow. It's all very disappointing, like TDM and PVP.
Reply Quote
We want answers!
Reply Quote
I agree entirely with what you had to say Piffle. Everything is a valid question posed to the D3 Dev team. If this is just a beginning we need to know, otherwise it is very worrying for the future of class developement. I posted a thread with your OP in the PTR feedback forum here:

Cool, appreciate that. It will probably get more views there anyway!
Reply Quote
+1 to this Blizzard needs to respond here to the OP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]