Diablo® III

I don´t understand Weapon DMG and EF

Hi there,

this is a comparison between 2 Weapons @ about 122k dps (yeah the weapons are garbage, bought them for comparison). Please take a look at http://i50.tinypic.com/zv616b.jpg

How can the mace give me 4k less dps when it only has 0.1 less avg dmg ?! This does not seem right or am i missing something?

I´m going to buy a good weapon today so i want to be sure about how this stuff works.

Also how does Archon benefit from the 0.2X Attacks per Second that an Echoing Fury will give? Not at all am i right? Cause the Bonus Attacks are already calculated into the shown dps on the EF and since we don´t use a weapon in offhand we won´t get the 0.2X a second time. Or am i missing something here too?

So basically 2 Questions:
How ist the screenshot possible?
Is a rare black weapon as good as an Echoing Fury for Archon spec? (Considering stats are equal of course...so 1200 DPS shown on Rare vs 1200 DPS shown on Echoing)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad englisch (greetings from Germany :) )
Edited by Bragisdottir#2449 on 1/17/2013 3:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
attack speed. The higher as just stacks dmg better with your gear.

EF is nice because of fear (helps against powerful elite packs) + black damage. Also it always rolls with 150+ int. But rare can be that good or even better, because it can roll with int/vit/socket/ls and ef can have only 3 affixes.

Btw you don't need to buy weapons to compare them. Use in-game chat for that. And attack speed is very recommended for any archon build (it's not mandatory but helps a lot, especially when resetting archon).
Reply Quote
To be honest this was confusing to me.
Isn´t the attack speed of the weapon already calculated into the DPS shown on the weapon ?

If i have a dagger with 1.40 Speed and 1300 dps; would that result in more spreadsheet dps than a mace with 1.20 Speed but also 1300 dps?

Also fear aside; is a 1300 dps rare Black Weapon with 150 Int worse than a 1300 dps EF with 150 Int? (so is the 0.2X +Attacks on EF already calculated into the dps shown on the tooltip?)
Reply Quote
To be honest this was confusing to me.
Isn´t the attack speed of the weapon already calculated into the DPS shown on the weapon ?

Yes, it's already calculated in the DPS. But that doesn't me it's only useful there. Think of it this way: The +min/max damage of a weapon is already computed in it's DPS. But that same black damage is amplified again with elemental bonuses (like say, a Triumvirate). In that same manner, a weapon's attack speed is already computed in it's DPS. But it's still amplified by the various IAS boosts in your other gear. And the higher the IAS bonuses you have on your gear, the bigger an impact a weapon's base attack speed can make on your sheet DPS
Reply Quote
The faster attack speed on your wand also affects the damage from your source and any rings or amulets that provide bonus damage. Factor in any increased attack speed and the disparity will only get larger.

For example, lets take a theory wand which always hits for 120 damage and a theory mace that always hits for 140 damage.

Both weapons deal the same base dps:
1.4*120 = 168
1.2*140 = 168

Lets say you have an additional 50% attack speed. It will increase the total damage for both weapons by 50% resulting in them still having the same damage but in the wand's attack speed getting even higher than the mace's:
1.4*1.5=2.1 2.1*120=252
1.2*1.5=1.8 1.8*140=252

Now lets say you have an amulet that adds 10 to min and max damage, so your wand's damage goes up to 130 and your mace's damage goes up to 150. Now your dps for each, before factoring in increased attack speed is:
1.4*130=182
1.2*150=180

Factor in the increased attack speed and you get:
2.1*130=273
1.8*150=270

Then if you factor in a 1000 int bonus the damage difference increases from 3 points to 30. Then factor in the crit chance/crit damage bonus and any +% bonuses and the difference gets even bigger. Increase the scale of the numbers involved and you end up with much larger differences.

I hope that makes sense.
Your English is infinitely better than my German. :)
Reply Quote
It totally makes sense and i am very thankful for your explanation!

Also, could the following factor in as well?
All those +% Poison Dmg and stuff on Trium for example do only effect Min+Max Dmg Stat right? And not the %DMG Affix...so, since the wand has more min max dmg it will profit more from the +% Elements dmg than the mace.
Reply Quote
It totally makes sense and i am very thankful for your explanation!

Also, could the following factor in as well?
All those +% Poison Dmg and stuff on Trium for example do only effect Min+Max Dmg Stat right? And not the %DMG Affix...so, since the wand has more min max dmg it will profit more from the +% Elements dmg than the mace.

It works on any amount of damage that isn't strickly elemental, meaning both base weapon damage, source damage, and all +min+max dmg values on your gear. So in regards to attack speed, "Adds X% to Y damage" doesn't care.
Edited by BDF#1838 on 1/17/2013 5:35 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]