Diablo® III

Some notes about Sever

I was testing my +20% Damage to Demons affix against Ghom. I began by equipping a white club in my main hand and a couple min-damage rings, making sure my club was active, and activating Sweeping Wind. My tornadoes hit for 208 and crit for 403. Even though Sever wasn't the active weapon, the bonus damage still applied.

3–6 damage
+25 minimum damage
= 28–28 damage
+ 20 minimum damage
= 48–48 minimum damage
x 18.04 (1704 DEX)
= 865.92
x 0.2 (20% damage per tornado)
= 173.184
x 1.2 (20% bonus damage vs. demons)
= 207.8208

207.8208 (normal tornado strike)
x 1.94 (+94% CHD)
= 403.17xxx

So these numbers matched what I saw against Ghom.

Once Ghom was dead, I wandered back into the Keep Depths L3 and down the corridor that leads to the larder. I found the usual pack of skeletons and a Demonic Tremor, so I made sure the club was active and then activated Sweeping Wind again.
  • Damage against skeletons: 173 (normal), 336 (crit)
  • Damage against DT: 208 (normal), 403 (crit)

So Sever's bonus applies to demons via Cyclone's tornadoes. To the best of my ability to gauge the vortex's damage, it applied there, too:
  • Most frequent number seen against skeletons: 316
  • Most frequent number seen against non-turtling Demonic Tremors: 379 (316 x 1.2)

Also: This bonus is multiplicative, not additive. In another test, I used Blazing Wrath before activating Cyclone. If the demon bonus were additive, I'd have expected to see normal tornado hits of 234 and critical hits of 454; instead, I saw normal hits of 239 and critical hits of 464.

3–6 damage
+25 minimum damage
= 28–28 damage
+ 20 minimum damage
= 48–48 minimum damage
x 18.04 (1704 DEX)
= 865.92
x 0.2 (20% damage per tornado)
= 173.184
x 1.15 (Blazing Wrath)
= 199.1616
x 1.2 (20% bonus damage vs. demons)
= 238.99392

238.99392 (normal tornado strike)
x 1.94 (+94% CHD)
= 463.64xxx

Anyway! Sever? Probably a bit better than you think if you see demons around :)
Reply Quote
Does it still do massive heals with life steal due to the "rest in pieces" crits? I sold mine a while back, but it was fun for a while.
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Caracarn
Does it still do massive heals with life steal due to the "rest in pieces" crits? I sold mine a while back, but it was fun for a while.

Yes. I've seen it deliver massive spikes on the killing blow.
Edited by Vrkhyz#1472 on 1/12/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
I missed the massive heals with my LS OH once I moved away from Sever. It was definitely a lot of fun while I used it. It's a shame that it isn't more viable later in the game. The +dmg to demons was quite noticeable to me while I was using it, too.
Reply Quote
I am sorry Vrkhyz, does that means dmg vs demons affix = all monster types according to your test?
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 06:37 PMPosted by BabyM
I am sorry Vrkhyz, does that means dmg vs demons affix = all monster types according to your test?

No. In the examples I gave, the undead were unaffected by the affix. I am certain beasts and humans are also unaffected. I believe there's a fifth mob type, but I can't remember what it is.
Reply Quote
Thanks for clarification!
Reply Quote
Can anyone confirm those bosses mentioned in the 1.0.7 preview http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414560/ that have 50% chance to drop new plan are demons or not :)
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 07:02 AMPosted by WCLee
Can anyone confirm those bosses mentioned in the 1.0.7 preview http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414560/ that have 50% chance to drop new plan are demons or not :)

The Skeleton King is undead; Maghda and Kulle are human. The rest are demons. (Okay, I'm not certain about the Spider Queen, but she seems unlikely to be a beast.)
Reply Quote
The Skeleton King is undead; Maghda and Kulle are human. The rest are demons. (Okay, I'm not certain about the Spider Queen, but she seems unlikely to be a beast.)

Thanks for your information, too bad they are not all demons, otherwise I think a "demon hunting suit" for plan running will be fun :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]