Diablo® III

Cyclone Strike

When people discuss monks, they don't ever mention cyclone strike. Also Life on Spirit Spent.

Seems like people are buying up all the LOSS gear though, at least on 900dps socketed fists.

Or umm Combo Strike. Nobody ever mentions that anymore.
Reply Quote
LPSS* Life per spirit spent, and yea, it suck balls. If it didn't come on Shen Long's I don't think anybody would be using it.

Cyclone Strike and Combo Strike are decent skills, I use them every now and again. Combo Strike are reserved for monks who can play without OWE, STI, or another passive.

For me, I only use Cyclone Strikes in co-op. I play mostly with barbs (friends), and the synergy between CS and hota are amazing. I keep pulling and snaring, and the barb keeps whacking and giving me run speed bonus.
Reply Quote
I love CS. It syncs. really well with SW and it increases my exp/h.
Reply Quote
I started using cyclone strike to counter my EF fear proc. I've used it since to help avoid chasing mobs down and to stop attacks such as bull charges and herald of pestilence ground tentacles. As Lightdemon said, HotA barbs benefit from it in MP. It makes for a great synergy with CM wizards an can pull trouble away from DHs, too. It's very spirit hungry so it drives the need to obtain some spirit regen or use FoT:Quickening to avoid constant spirit depletion, though. I personally think that is the primary reason it isn't very popular.

If LoSS was available on a wider range of armor pieces I would look into picking some up to synergize with the large amount of spirit I spend using cyclone strike.
Reply Quote
View profile
i like combo strike! i use it now up to about MP5
Reply Quote
View profile
What you talkin bout Willis? CS is one of the best passives we have.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/12/2013 03:08 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
What you talkin bout Willis? CS is one of the best passives we have.

i use it too Stan, but is it one of the best passives on it's own merit? or cuz most of our passives suck?
Reply Quote
I've been using Cyclone Strike since 1.0.3, it works amazing when combined with Backlash, I normally use implosion for the extra distance but I've been using wall of wind recently for upping my dodge and making backlash more effective. I prefer the extra distance you get with Implosion.

I have to have extra spirit generator on a fist and also use chant or resonance to boost my spirit regen in order to use Cyclone strike+Dashing Strike effectively though.

But I love it, It's hella fun,
Reply Quote
View profile
Of course its personal opinion, but I see uses for almost every passive:

STI and OWE still are very useful in any build for defensive purposes
GP is useful in TR or Backlash builds
ES and CoR are useful in TR builds
NDE is useful/required in HC
Pacifism is useful in SC/HC if you can afford to drop STI or OWE and still desire defense
FF, Resolve, Transcendence, BoY, GL, and CS are useful in any build

That leaves....Sixth Sense which is only really useful if you're playing s&b which is inefficient because increasing your dodge reduces the value of a shield. This is without a doubt my least favorite Passive and also the most niche one.

I would probably say Resolve, Pacisim, and Sixth Sense are the weakest.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 1/12/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Stan!! you reckon resolve is a weak one?! i reckon it's a must-have for ubering with undergeared people.

i reckon pacifism is just awful.

i used guiding light for the first time last night in conjunction with Time of Need for MP10 Ubers. worked great! (there were 3 monks - overawe, transgression, and me)
Reply Quote
View profile
Yeah I dislike Resolve because you actually have to be damaging something for it to be in effect. That right there is why its so much less efficient and effective than STI or OWE or even GP (I'm guessing).

For instance if you're doing SB/Kulle and someone is using Resolve, chances are good it will only be benefiting the people attacking your target.

I remember theorycrafting before launch even with hopes that Submission would trigger Resolve, but last I read/heard, it didn't. (correct me if I'm wrong anybody, please)
Reply Quote
View profile
i used guiding light for the first time last night in conjunction with Time of Need for MP10 Ubers. worked great! (there were 3 monks - overawe, transgression, and me)

Yeah, if I'm with at least one other monk I just use TON+GL too since I got rid of OWE. On higher mps I'm also using Flesh is Weak instead of BW too, so the whole group ultimately has +76% dmg. Its pretty shmexy :)
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
In a group with a WW barb or a freezy wiz cyclone strike is great. You pull enemies in close and then people can mow them down
Reply Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but can CS pull in large enemies (like bulls, fat act 3 demons, yellow rare enemies), I havent used it in ages and i recalled it couldnt pull certain types of enemies.

Not very sure though.
Reply Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but can CS pull in large enemies (like bulls, fat act 3 demons, yellow rare enemies), I havent used it in ages and i recalled it couldnt pull certain types of enemies.

Not very sure though.

It pulls bulls in (hence the interrupt to their charges). It doesn't pull elites or colossal golgors as you suspected. It does pull in elite minions, though.
Reply Quote
Cyclone Strike:

You can pull almost all enemies, including the blue packs. Yellow monster pulls usually fail but you can pull the yellow packs to the yellow mobs. There are 1-2 monster types per act that can not be pulled at all. The range of cyclone strike is extremely feeble without rune to increase range, which is necessary for best monster organization.

What I haven't heard anyone mention yet is Crippling Wave/Rising Tide rune. Using multiple spirit generators gives more options for spirit generation, buffing combo strike as well as life on spirit spent effects.

I am a huge fan of life on spirit spent, as it turns cyclone strike and my mantra both into moderate healing spells. With LOSS on only 2 pieces ~50.0 (one weapon and hat), each cyclone strike heals me for about 5k. Also spamming mantra heals me for 5k.

In addition, correct me if I am wrong, but does cyclone strike proc LOH for each monster hit?
Reply Quote
That leaves....Sixth Sense which is only really useful if you're playing s&b which is inefficient because increasing your dodge reduces the value of a shield.

Now, while I don't disagree that Sixth Sense is more of a niche passive than some of the others, I cannot agree that it decreases the value of a shield! If anything, it INCREASES the value/effectiveness of your shield.

I'll keep this as simple/straightforward as possible (mostly because I'm !@#$ at maths). Think about it, if you dodge 50% of your attacks, and block 20% of the remaining attacks, you're still taking a reasonable amount of damage. Now, if your dodge is increased to, say, 75% (I know it's not the increase, just using simple numbers) because of the CC on your shield, and you block 20% of the remaining attacks, you're taking a hell of a lot less damage than before. Even though the increments are less in actual practice, the result is still just as handy.

In short, your block chance never changes, but the amount of times you even NEED to block is reduced, in turn making that shield more valuable. Mitigation is great, but not getting hit in the first place is better.

[Edit]
Oh yeah, CS is the bomb. I use a stun based build, and using CS: Implosion, and then using Crippling Wave with as high APS as possible, makes for some very stunned mobs. Sledge Fist FTW!

Also, MoE+CS: Wall of Wind+FoT: Lightning Flash+Sixth Sense=MWAHAHAHA!! When I use those, my dodge is around the 80% mark for short periods, and around the 68+% mark for most of the time. May sound a bit "Whooptie-doo", but I was able to run inferno and then higher MPs long before I should have been able to with my garbage gear, without dying much more than my 'L33t' friends.
[/Edit]
Edited by TheKlown#1905 on 1/13/2013 12:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Sorry Klown, I should've been more specific with my wording. I both agree and disagree with what you've said.

On the one hand, I agree having high dodge AND a shield is a good thing. Your explanation of WHY is also spot on :) Its because the higher your dodge is, the more damage you completely negate. Meanwhile what attacks do get through, are then potentially blocked.

On the other hand, I DON'T agree that having high dodge increases a shield's value. Obviously this is open to interpretation, but the way I look at it, the higher your dodge the less often your shield is used. In my eyes that makes your shield more useful as a defensive stat stick (so to speak) than as a real way of mitigating damage.

All that said, both sources (dodging and blocking) are flawed because they have absolutely no effect whatsoever against the most dangerous sources of incoming damage in the game :( This is another reason I dislike GP and SS. At least the former serves multiple purposes though, otherwise it might even be more useless than the latter lol...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]