Diablo® III

Advice on a new rig!

Hello all,

So I've been on a bit of a gaming hiatus for several years, but I'm looking for a new rig to get back into things (at the moment, that means I'd like to run a game like GW2 at high or near-max settings, if possible). Like any gamer, I'm seeking bang for buck, but I would say my budget is ~$800 for the case and its innards. So, I guess I would ask for some friendly advice from the community as to whether (and where!) I can cut some costs or find significant performance increases for a small price difference.

My current setup:

PROCESSOR $229
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core

MOTHERBOARD $139
ASUS P8Z77-V LK ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CD/DVD READ-WRITE $20

HARD DRIVE $104
Western Digital WD Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s

MEMORY + GRAPHICS (package) $197
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
EVGA SSC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 01G-P4-3652-KR Video Card

CASE + POWER SUPPLY (package) $105
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming Computer Case
Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply

TOTAL: $796.92 (with about $40 in mail-in rebates)

Thanks in advance. Remember, I'm shooting for an approx. $800 price point.
Reply Quote
I would get a psu you can trust. That thing isn't even 80 plus certified. I would get one of these three and really they are more psu than you need. Those three are all made with great parts that aren't re-branded from crap like most psu's.

480W Antec NEO ECO 520C
480W Seasonic S12II 520
528W XFX ProSeries 550W

Most people get confused here thinking they need 800w of psu power to run anything. These three here can run and o/c with everything you are getting. Unless you plan on sli (only for 3d, please) these will handle everything great.

If you want to o/c that cpu get a Hyper 212 EVO ($30) . Best bang for the buck cooler on the market.

Great job on that build, looks great.
Edited by Avail#1345 on 1/14/2013 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the input, Avail!

I will definitely look into a different PSU. The more I'm reading about that one, the more I find myself agreeing with you.

I also found an awesome I-7 processor at the same price as the I-5, so I'm going to go with that.

My real question is around the motherboard now. The one I posted just feels overpriced.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 10:20 AMPosted by Oleon
I also found an awesome I-7 processor at the same price as the I-5, so I'm going to go with that.

Just an FYI - an i7 CPU will not provide you any notable performance increase over an i5. The difference between the 2 CPUs is hyperthreading which is useless in gaming.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 1/15/2013 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Honestly, you don't need a processor that powerful. I don't imagine you'll be pushing your anywhere near it's limits. Also of note is that your motherboard budget is crazy high. Do you seriously plan on using all of it's features? Do you fully intend to spend 10 hours tweaking your setting and overclocking your system? If not, I'd suggest lowering your cpu/mainboard budget to around $300. I'm currently running an i7 2600K with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, without overclocking, and NO VIDEOCARD (want to wait until I get a GPU before I OC), and still play Dishonored, D3, SC2, and XCom just fine.

That being said, it depends where you live. Take advantage of local deals (I have a Fry's which will price match MicroCenter), and use Tom's Hardware's charts to get the best $ to performance ratio in your budget.
Reply Quote
The build does look good.
And Rosewill does make decent PSU. But i agree, get a certified PSU and it will pay for itself. Gold certified (i think its 96%+) will save you a ton on your electric, especially if you, like me, never shut down your PSU.

I use SParkle's gold modular 850
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6728169&CatId=2534

its awesome.

a) do get an aftermarket cooler. Last ive checked intel sucked monkey tail when it comes down to that.

b) I would beef up the VGA to at least 660i, if budget allows (+$100 ish)

c) your MD supports up to DDR3 1600 without O.C. ram. I would get that to get a marginal performance increase over 1333 at virtually no cost increase. You will also have easier time finding it since it is a lot more popular.
Edited by Vladis#1395 on 1/21/2013 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]