Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

i am not a huge fan of D2, david brevik or whatever but when i saw jay wilson's (and his team's) facebook comments on the former, i felt like i could sympathize with any hate a long term diablo fan might harbor towards jay. not to mention all those berating comments on how the feedback he got from the story / game was great (despite fans making 2hour / 20 pages+ videos and writings on why the game needed help... ask yourself, have you ever seen any of the developers engage with any of the popular online diablo personalities and their concerns?)

it might be unproductive to engage in personal attacks.... but this is one of those cases where its hard to say the guy doesn't deserve it
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:50 PMPosted by padako
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I just hope Jay knows that the majority of ppl love D3 and what he has done with it.

don't listen tot he whiners guys. you guys rock!!!

I do love the game as do many of the haters. I think a lot of people are just mad because they expected more, arrogance from some interviews and things being said but then turning out not to be true, PVP being one of them. We aren't talking about some random thrown together game company, we are talking about "Blizzard" I don't think it's unrealistic to say some of us may have expected better given what they had to work with.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Well i guess the !@#$ just hit the fan!

You - Blizzard - had the reputation of never delivering failure games, every single one of your titles was a major success, people bought your products without second thoughts but with this disaster of a game you ruined it forever. It will be a stain on your company's name forever and every time you will release anything short of perfect from now on people will remember this failure.

Really now, you had the resources, the people, the brand and the recipe for the best ARPG ever created and you've just thrown it away. How stupid can you possibly be?

You wanna take the blame for Jay - go ahead. The entire team can take the blame for all i care, enjoy the %^-*storm you created. It is how we felt every day waiting for improvements in the last seven months when you were just throwing lies in our face. Maybe this is what it takes for you guys to start listening.
Reply Quote
If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me.

Is that why you been hiding from the forums for the last 8 months?

I agree with this statement. You and the other staffers should be interacting with the community. You put CM's in there which are just the middle men and they don't seem to ever really pass things along. If they did get passed along, they are snuffed and laughed at.

The design idea for this game is bad. Why not just take everything Diablo 1 and 2 had already accomplished and build off it? yes here comes the d3 lovers that Don't want Diablo 2.5 but guess what? i bet 100 million other people do. The difference between success and this.
Reply Quote

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Much of this game is broken beyond repair. More than half the runes cannot get you to high MP Inferno no matter what combinations you use with them. A great number of affixes are absolute garbage and serve as nothing but wasted rolls on items.

This is already after MANY great patches. Back when the game was released, it was 10 times, no, 50 times more broken than it is now. That is not Blizzard quality, that is third-rate budget company quality, and it should be criticized as such.

Instead of being upset over it, learn from Square Enix. Despite the fact that they have lost their touch, at least they own up to their failures. Own up, and strive to be better. Diablo 3 was a failure. I'd say right now it is halfway out of that hole, and continues getting better. But do acknowledge that upon release, and for many months after release, it was absolute total garbage that had not the slightest bit of designing creativity, nor foresight, and was bugged beyond simple reparations.
Reply Quote
I've always loved this franchise, and will buy expansions and sequels because it brings back some memories and I don't really play many games anymore.

I've tried my best not to bash Jay or individuals but I am among the disapointed with development. Since release, time and resources have been spent correcting mistakes that should have been resolved before release.

-Inferno was nearly unplayable at release
-Multiplayer was unplayable. Mob dmg was x100% with every player in group.
-Items dropped ten levels below your character level.
-No concept of an end game

^^Addressing and fixing those mistakes is what's taken place since release. My god, you're just now releasing dueling that required no additional mechanics preventing it's release 7 months ago.

I'm not going to bash Jay specifically claiming it's all his fault, I wish him well. But I am hoping for better leadership and direction. Hopefully someone who can anticipate what the gaming community wants and understands what drives people to continue playing a repetitive game for thousands of hours.
Reply Quote
I wish you all the best Jay. Under your directorship Diablo III has show the exact same trend that Diablo II did (started a wee bit shaky maybe, but its continually improved since launch and is well on its way to becoming a legend like its predecessor). You've done well by my books, and don't let any of the trolls our community lovingly harbours (sarcasm?) convince you otherwise.

Best of luck with your future with Blizzard, wherever you hang your hat, and I look forward excitedly to the next gaming experience you have a hand in!

Sincerely,

-Willeh

p.s.

Take needless blame if you must, but Blizzard needs revenue just like everyone else, so I hold no grudges for releasing the game even if you feel in retrospect it was premature. Diablo III has thus far upheld Blizzard's reputation of making long term commitments to not only maintain, but improve any and all products they release, not only through fixing errors and glitches but also in adding or rebalancing content to improve the gaming experience. I have said it before and will say it again, Diablo II felt like a massive fail at release compared to the original, and I was at the forefront of those saying it, but Blizzard continued to develop Diablo II for 10 years and made the run-of-the-mill ARPG into a video gaming legend.

As a long time Blizzard gamer, having played essentially every Blizzard title since the Lost Vikings, I can say that I am very happy with the direction Blizzard has taken in the course of the development of Diablo III (both pre and post release). This game is well on its way to greatness, and if anything I say or do provides constructive input in the continued development of Diablo III, then I would be proud to say so.

To the dev team (and to the future project leader) I say keep your heads held high and keep up the great work. To my fellow gamers I say remember that these are people on the other side of the internet trying to make the best game they can, so bear that in mind when your offering criticism. And most importantly, to Jay, I once again say good luck!

(also if anyone wants to challenge me on the point about revenue due to Warcraft, look up Blizzard's market statements; their profit margin is really not colossal by any measure).
Edited by BigWilleh#1801 on 1/18/2013 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Diablo 3 delivered me a lot of fun and enjoyment, so i wish jay wilson all the best. Some people need to step back and take a breath before raging at some guy they've never met.

Every blizzard game is great not only because of their quality at release, but dedication to improvement over time. Diablo 3 has been no different.
Edited by jcizzle#1442 on 1/18/2013 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo

Dancing on someone's grave is in poor taste, we agree on that. The way folks feel about Jay, however, is on Jay. This is the guy who inspired folks to dislike for him with comments like "F*ck that loser."

The franchise before D3 was ground breaking in a variety of ways. There is a lot to be proud of. D3 is only groundbreaking in how much money it has made for Blizzard. I would love Blizzard to be transparent with regards just how much money is made, per fiscal quarter, from the RMAH.

I'm sorry Rob, but that is irrelevant. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Your team has spent a lot of time ignoring its community. Granted, this community is pretty harsh, but my sincere belief is that they are harsh because of the culture that the mods/design team/executive team has fostered.

Your fan base is large enough that this can be recovered from, but the road ahead will be bumpy. I know I have seen some signs that this is possible. Some blue posters seem to get it. I wish your team luck.
Edited by SolGrumpy#1835 on 1/18/2013 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

The RMAH is not really a problem. Loots are.

They need to add more inspiring affix that can be rolled by rares and need to remake a lot of legendary items.

What good is it of they make inspiring affix's for loot that I will never find in 9999999 hours of play time

It's a chicken versus egg thing. Was the loot designed to be so crappy to facilitate the need to use the GAH/RMAH, or was the GAH/RMAH designed to get around the fact that the loot is so crappy? Either way, the loot is crap.
Reply Quote
I'll say what I have said 1,000 times over in game. If you want a game like D2 go play D2. Most of the people who speak poorly about this game have put hundreds, if not thousands of hours into it.

I am sorry, there aren't any games on the market right now that I have played as much as this one in the same price range. Simple as that. Sure, id like to add things to the game as well as make changes. But you can say that about everything in life.

Rob Pardo, much respect to you. I have never had a problem with Jay Wilson or any other blizzard employee for that matter.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for this immensely disrespectful community. You can come to these forums at anytime during the day and find numerous threads talking down about the game as well as the creators.

So my final words. If you do not like this game. P L A Y S O M E T H I N G E L S E.
Reply Quote
While I respect Rob Pardo and Blizzard of the past immeasurably, I think it's getting pretty insulting having the team request we provide ongoing feedback as to "how to make the game better".

For over a year people have been giving very detailed and powerful feedback, most of which was ignored into the initial launch of the game. The game has devolved over the years in design philosophy and this is just evidence that the community was being ignored. Now, that the outcry is so large and impactful, suddenly Blizzard are all ears and want to listen?

Well, I'll be damned...

As someone (actually thousands of people) have pointed out, the resources and creative pillars have been established for this franchise YEARS AGO - a decade ago. Diablo II was as close to perfect as this genre will get for its time. Actually perfect? OF course not. But it's 2013, all of the improvements we wanted to see in Diablo II never made it to Diablo III; all of the heart and soul of the Diablo franchise is absent in Diablo III. Maybe the time to ask fans what would be the right thing to do should have occurred 6 years ago?

I just feel kind of insulted and talked down to like a child when all of the evidence over the last several years contradicts the notion that "Blizzard wants to hear our feedback".

Last few patches don't count; during the core development days of D3, nothing was being done. This is the result. And the potential nail in this franchise's coffin.
Edited by Aaown#1841 on 1/18/2013 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok, this is a big thing happening here right now, so i feel like i should also say something - as a fan of the title.

I may have not been fully satisfied with the game, but let's be honest here... This is a great game, a Diablo III ffs! And for sure it deserves it's name, because it is this good.
There is a lot of work needed to be done - itemization, balance, PvP etc, etc. But hey! In my opinion, if you just take a look at the basics, the core of the game, engine, environment, story, graphics, sound, character design and skill system design... you will see the settlement for the best game of all time. And the solid foundation is always something you shall start with.

While I am dissappointed with itemization, rng and some other issues (let's just spare it, this is not the case), I have to protest, when JW is getting so much punishment.

I belive he and his team have created something, which with a little luck, can become EPIC. Of course it's sad that probably we'll have to wait for two expansion to experience it... I suppose this is where we can feel a little bit of a taste of today's world. This is how it works. Money baby.
Don't blame Jay. He did a great job in general. You know what i liked in him the most? You could see that he really cared. He loves this game and his team, you can smell it.
I guess many of those worse development decisions (early legendaries, itemization as a whole thing), where pushed not really by the devs but by the HQ or something...

So... I wanted to thank you Jay! Don't listen to all this negative BS. It was not perfect, but it was a great job you did. High five from me.
Good luck with your future projects and keep it real :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]