Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

90 Night Elf Druid
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

If you want me to point fingers at you instead of Jay, I'll gladly do it. And, I'm sorry, but Diablo is not a franchise that any of you really have a right to be "proud of". I mean, how many of your staff in this game was involved in making DII? The team who made DII SHOULD be incredibly proud of themselves, they made a game that people still continue to play well over 11 years later.

What your team did, however, was take a classic franchise like Diablo and you turned it into D.I.N.O. - Diablo in name only. If this game were released with the same mechanics with a different name, characters and setting and didn't get the privilege of naming it after one of gaming's most beloved franchises, how many units do you think you would have pushed? Do you think it would have become a block buster like D2? No. Probably not.

The only thing that you kept from it's predecessor is the name, world and characters. You took out some great things that made diablo 2 so beloved (Horadric Cube, Socketing items, turning items into magic items through quests, skill trees and interesting synergies....to name a few) and you've replaced them with boring items with unimaginative stats and a completely rigid NV system that completely nullifies the ability to do bite size game sessions and, also chops character build diversity to bits (You gave wizards hydras for different situations, yet you punish us for changing them out on the fly to fit the given situation... how does that even make sense to you? How did that even get past the cutting room floor?) That wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact that the ONLY customization you let us have on our characters is the gear we find and let's be honest, 99/100 items are useless and that 1/100 will likely be good only for mediocre characters who are in need of a slight upgrade. The real "godly" items have an almost no existent chance to drop... So, if you're a high level character you're no longer grinding for gear like you were in D2, you're now grinding for gold because you have better chances of grinding/selling your way to 200m gold for an upgrade than you ever have of actually finding the item. Diablo is fueled by the loot hunt, that's what keeps players coming back. If your loot isn't worth hunting then what fuels the game? And, so far... this team that you're "so proud of" has done absolutely nothing to fix this problem but give us incredibly sub par crafting options that are really just a cleverly disguised gold sink. (I played the PTR the new crafting recipes are an over priced joke.)

So, if you want me to point fingers at you instead of Jay, I'd be glad to. Because you managed to turn one of the greatest Action RPG franchises into a dumbed down brawler where personal choice means absolutely nothing. It all comes down to what gear you can afford and what gear you can't, because finding your own gear has become a lost practice in this crap shoot you call RNG. This game is no more a Diablo game than Supersmash Bros is a Mario game, but just because it has the same characters and settings does not make it the same game.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:43 PMPosted by drunkie
forget the failures of this game min, and just look at how jay reacted to the fans. when people brought up issues with the direction of the game he belittled the fan base an made jokes. anytime people had any kinda concerns he talked down to them saying how much smarter or better he was. he makes t shirts and a hidden are all making fun of the fears fans expressed. he kept spitting in there faces every step. telling your customers they just don't remember the game right. telling customers they don't know what fun is. i'm sorry but what other company allows there workers to disrespect there customers like this.

and then there was whimsyshire.. the mature response regarding the graphics concerns - and desire to not make a cow level - rolled into one.. ..
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Thank you!

Seriously.

I am a huge fan of this game. I played the beta and then nearly broke myself (my body, and only mine, without putting others in danger) getting the Collector's Edition. I suggested the game on my highest recommendation to my gamer friends of years, and I regret none of it.

I rejoiced that the game brought so many new features of D2, and recaptured the grim attitude of Diablo (which I played even up through the past few years). My biggest complaint of D3 was "I wish all the in game play through objectives could be turned off so I could guess where I had to go and have to fight more" (though it made me feel like I would never run into the problem I had in Kurast in D2...random map spawn walled me out of the entrance to the map exit, but I digress).

i ALSO LOVE THE GENIUS that has been employed in the game changes thus far. Despite the fact that I enjoyed the original release of the game, the development team has kept me still loving the game through its mechanical iterations. And the INFERNAL MACHINES! ICECREAM ICING.

No joke, this game is fantastic. The universe it supports, the feel, atmosphere, history, the legends and character classes.

I have a lot more enthusiasm for this game than I let on in this message and I actually get overwhelmed when I think about the number of great things in it. Keep up the good work. In my opinion Jay left some more than modest sized shoes to fill.

I don't know I can say he is some divine teacher or messiah, but no one has to make their idea of "the better" the enemy of what's good. And Jay has been good to the franchise.

Kudos to Blizzard for continuous support for their product which has endless play and interactions WITHOUT a monthly fee. Thanks for keeping the Battle.Net Dream alive, guys
Reply Quote
This community is ruthless.

I love you guys, stay critical.
Reply Quote
/sings want you gone
but seriously, watch the game get better after he leaves. that'd be amazing.
Good luck Jay.
Reply Quote
this game is so bad it made me sell all 50,000 of my shares in ATVI. i also still want a refund for this abysmal waste of hard drive space.
Reply Quote
Rob,
Thank You for the candid comment yes You hired him and gave him your creative idea of the direction you wanted Diablo 3 to head in, yes your role is also to make a game to produce the end result more value to the corporate bottom line ,I truely understand your role and the responsibility on this project.I work for a major company that is about as of now worth more than 250 billions compare to your company. What my company hold dearly is our forcus on our guest's experiences, not trying to get as much profit as we can from them, we give them a true value for their experiences. Yes we make money from them but we make money the truest way and that is give the best not second best, our company once about 5years ago went in a different direction similiar to what the Diablo3 project is in now. The one that was giving the authority to make that change cause so much chaos and confusion that it really affected the guest's experiences, finally the higher up which is you Rob place another Leader that know what the guest's experiences should be and that new Leader went back to the basics, using what was try and tested already , he went back to what made our company well known and that was using what was there already, he addedmore incentive and respected to our guest's expereinces.so now our company has made a turnaround, we are making money yet giving what the guest' want. Your company can also do that with Diablo3 , give the community, me the hardcore player, i still play d2 passionately. And hope i can also play d3 passionatly for many years,
Reply Quote
For the sake of Diablo 3 and the direction it needs to go. Please add the hostile button. Remove mandatory quests. Take out all background music and add music from d1/d2.

Create character creating depth, let us add the skill points where we want and increase max Dex only if that's what we want. Please revive Cain. Fire whoever decided to let him die by butterfly.

Allow loot duels in hardcore AND soft-core. Hardcore duels were the biggest rush this game had to offer. A huge part of the game gone because of poor philosophies.

REMOVE the Rmah. REMOVE the Gah. Allow us to create our own games via hc low lvl duelszszsz Baal run 0004 SOJ's for Shako.

Bring back what it means to be a real add-on to the Diablo fanchise. I would say remove Mr Wilsowned but he did that for us already. GLORIOUS.
Reply Quote
If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game.

Tell me one reason? Why? I cant trust you. 7 months of patching game and game is on the same level. No stats, no theorycraft, no items, no diversity, wrong motivation feelings (paragon level, mp and hellfire ring), every good idea is returned to the year 1950, because there are so bad steps.

For example last patch:
-You made marquise gems, nobody with brain will buy it for 4 int, but there was a nice opportunity to get nice high-end aura/stat on these gems. Also it could be nice gold sink after.
-Crafting is total underrated without any fun. Only one recipe is amulet, nothing more. Every crafted item is low, because there are only 4-5 possible usable stats in game.

So next patch has the best improvement - pickup radius.

If you want good game, convince me by your patches, but you did nothing in 7 months, if I compare other games development.
Edited by zobudeny#2800 on 1/18/2013 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
some people are just outright disrespectful. I guess thats just how they've been raised.
Reply Quote
Posted by Rob PardoIf you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game.

maybe can start by not locking / deleting threads that make suggestions for mechanics and gameplay that aren't in-line with current D3 direction ( but consistent with the previous 2 games)
Reply Quote

Well i guess the !@#$ just hit the fan!

You - Blizzard - had the reputation of never delivering failure games, every single one of your titles was a major success, people bought your products without second thoughts but with this disaster of a game you ruined it forever. It will be a stain on your company's name forever and every time you will release anything short of perfect from now on people will remember this failure.

Really now, you had the resources, the people, the brand and the recipe for the best ARPG ever created and you've just thrown it away. How stupid can you possibly be?

You wanna take the blame for Jay - go ahead. The entire team can take the blame for all i care, enjoy the %^-*storm you created. It is how we felt every day waiting for improvements in the last seven months when you were just throwing lies in our face. Maybe this is what it takes for you guys to start listening.

Right on the money. Blizzard's mantra was "never release a game until it was finished." This game was not nearly finished. When the statement concerning PVP was released, all hope vanished. How could you people spend so much time and resources on an unworkable construct. It really seems that the game was created in very little time (excepting the production values, which are fantastic), with little connection to any previous Diablo game.
I mean an "androgynous" Diablo!!!!!
Jay Wilson did not create this mess by him self, it took an entire team effort.
Reply Quote
This pay 2 play system Rob is garbage.
Plus people are spending 60 dollars on buying the cd?

Guess im here to see how the story ends.Might i add its hard as hell also to earn gold in this game.I dont play the ah cause i cant.Prices in the ah are lame as hell and i cant afford non of it and i will never grind out billions of gold.
Edited by JacobsHell#1185 on 1/18/2013 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
As this Thread seems to be the end all of threads about Jay... I will make my remarks.

I have played Diablo the series since Diablo (classic) came out on my older brothers computer he showed me the first glimpse of my future digital addiction. I played Diablo like every single day. When Hellfire expansion came out I played it every single day. I played Diablo 2 and LoD every single day (dang near) and even rejoined the world of D2 from time to time right up to the release of D3 from witch I played at launch and still play consistently.

The game is a strange edition to the Diablo titles...

It has Great graphics, ok music... but has this artificial Disney feel to it? Like the Boss fights and the quest and story really don't match the first two Diablo games... In Diablo 1 less is more. You don't have a epic story of loss and redemption? you have a video of a Sword stuck in the ground with crows flying around and the dark... VERY Dark feel to it. It made me kinda scared to play the game even? that fear and or intrigue is what propelled me into exploring a very simple but "Perfect" concept of what a dungeon crawler is. You start out in a church and every so many levels the scenery changes until you end up in Hell. It had a random level generator that was brilliant! I played this game over and over.

Diablo 2 had more or less Expanded on the game and this concept. It didn't try to remake a totally new game and change the tempo? It added several classes and gave us more skills and abilities and items... You see the picture perhaps now. Diablo 2 was a true sequel and Diablo 1 was the first taste of a digital addiction. Diablo 3 is just a Disney Diablo with better graphics a LAME story and character interactions. Diablo 3 is trying to be funny not produce any level of fear into the player. Diablo 3 has the exact same number of characters as Diablo 2 (not LoD) with less customization like stat points and such. So it feels watered down it feels child friendly? This game was made to be MA i would never let my young kinds play this game? well i might now..

I won't go into all the other aspects of the game I don't like... But this is no easy fix. But game addictions are like any addiction IMO once you taste something like it you are left wanting more... And even if you have to settle on a lesser product to try and appease your former addiction you will. You will because you are compelled to get what you once had and look for it in this game because it was in the other two games and they share the same name and series... Good Luck Jay I never said anything bad about you... And Good Luck Rob you have a nasty group of digital rejects to inspire...

I wish you the best of luck with us..
Reply Quote
Some recipes for fixing Diablo:
-Shut down all Auction Houses.
-Redesign the loot system, it's too random now.
-Skill trees with synergies.
-Assignable stat points.
It's too late for all those fixes but in a future game these are a must. The price of such a game must be low because you left many Diablo fans disappointed with Diablo 3.
Edited by XerX#2741 on 1/18/2013 6:12 PM PST
Reply Quote

Well i guess the !@#$ just hit the fan!

You - Blizzard - had the reputation of never delivering failure games, every single one of your titles was a major success, people bought your products without second thoughts but with this disaster of a game you ruined it forever. It will be a stain on your company's name forever and every time you will release anything short of perfect from now on people will remember this failure.

Really now, you had the resources, the people, the brand and the recipe for the best ARPG ever created and you've just thrown it away. How stupid can you possibly be?

You wanna take the blame for Jay - go ahead. The entire team can take the blame for all i care, enjoy the %^-*storm you created. It is how we felt every day waiting for improvements in the last seven months when you were just throwing lies in our face. Maybe this is what it takes for you guys to start listening.

Right on the money. Blizzard's mantra was "never release a game until it was finished." This game was not nearly finished. When the statement concerning PVP was released, all hope vanished. How could you people spend so much time and resources on an unworkable construct. It really seems that the game was created in very little time (excepting the production values, which are fantastic), with little connection to any previous Diablo game.
I mean an "androgynous" Diablo!!!!!
Jay Wilson did not create this mess by him self, it took an entire team effort.

To be fair we all !@#$%ed and moaned to hurry up with release, but what you say has not lost an ounce of truth. It's the general lack of quality in the design that bugs us, not the unfinished product. I'd live with this game unfinished if it had even one iota of soul that D2 had.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]