Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

01/18/2013 05:50 PMPosted by padako
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I just hope Jay knows that the majority of ppl love D3 and what he has done with it.

don't listen tot he whiners guys. you guys rock!!!

No they don't. The giant drop in numbers, negativity in the forums, as well as, all the negativity everywhere else you find the game talked about by people who played it will tell you completely otherwise.

The community.. Part of the problem is having these people or trolls stating things like this, clogging up threads with mere gibberish. It's no secret the game needs fixing so stop with the lies.
Reply Quote
Combat is awesome major thing the game is lacking is depth imo.
Reply Quote
View profile
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Thou art brave to post such things in these forums.

*Raises a glass in toast*

~Regards
A Rampant AI~
Reply Quote
It was an honor to play the diablo gaming franchise.
Reply Quote

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Rob, I fell in love with blizzard when first playing a little SNES title by the name of Blackthorne. I only open with that statement to give a better gauge of where I am coming from and how long I have been playing blizzard products.

Diablo III failed. It really is that simple. I simply cannot fathom how the game received a green light, given it's state at release. It's mind-boggling to imagine how you can ask how to improve the game when there has been a steady and near non-stop overload of communication as to exactly how you can go about that. It's nearly insulting that you pose that question to Diablo fans now, at this stage.

So many things were called in advance here. So many questions were raised, people were nervous and couldn't understand so many design choices from the limited amount of the game we could see with the Beta, however our passions overrode our fears. "Surely they have this worked out". Just look at the first gameplay trailer you guys released for D3. Now look at what we have. "Something" happened to the game and it got gutted big-time. It was dumbed down to the point of being uninteresting.

The complete and utter lack of communication from the devs since it's release is staggering. What's more staggering is the blatant disregard for the fans you should have been making the game for in the first place. All we ever hear is the same thing, "what can we do to improve the game". Maybe it's time you actually tried listening, instead of just posting PR-esque responses that come off disingenuous and just add more fuel to the fire.

I am not here to be cruel or make personal attacks. If you want the anger and frustration of diablo fans aimed at you, that is your call and so be it. IMHO, It literally is too little, too late at this juncture. Unless you are going to re-work the entire game, because its infrastructure is inherently flawed. People say it's just a game....that is true, and my life goes on, however I had never had so much love for an IP before. Diablo and Sanctuary were hallowed terms. Now they mean a fraction of what they once did, and for me personally, it would be tough to ever give Diablo another chance.
Reply Quote

Thanks for the post! I really appreciate that you took the time to write this to the Diablo community, we are very passionate for this game aswell and we think it is a great game but still need improvements. One of these are for example.. only one fourth of the game is being played, and that is Act 3 since it's the most efficient. For me this is the biggest flaw in Diablo 3s current state and has to be dealt with.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:12 PMPosted by Kitsune
It was an honor to play the diablo gaming franchise.

LOL go turn your NES on. 8-bit graphics offer more depth.
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson doesn't deserve the harsh (downright ridiculous) comments being directed at him.

Was he fit for this job, for this game? No. Not by a long shot. I am absolutely ashamed of the game that Diablo III is, and there is no real hope IMO that it will be repairable to a state that could be deemed an appropriate sequel to Diablo II.

Although it takes an entire team to create a game, the Director's job is to guide that team towards his vision. Either his vision is nothing like what Diablo III should be, or his ability to guide the Diablo III team is at fault. Eitherway, he must bear the brunt of the responsibility for the failures of this game. That is an unfortunate reality of being "in command." And this applies to all aspects of life. If you are in charge, you bear the responsibility. Period.

Also, regardless of his apology, his remarks in reference to David Brevick are absolutely inexcusable. He is not sorry for his poor opinion of David, he is sorry that he was foolish enough to let his emotions get the better of him and allow himself to post those opinions publicly, and in an absolutely disrespectful manner to boot. It is no wonder that Jay Wilson couldn't make this game as great as it should have been, when he does not even respect the man behind the two predecessors.

Having said all of that...

People learn from their mistakes. Unless they are hopelessly stupid. I don't think Jay Wilson is stupid at all. I think he was a poor fit for this game, perhaps the entire genre. I believe he will learn from this very large experience. Seven years is a long time. I've been in the Army for seven years, and it's felt like a very large portion of my life. I have made many mistakes in regards to my military life over the last seven years, and I have learned countless lessons along the way. The military lifestyle is incredibly simple. I imagine trying to fill the shoes of a gargantuan such as Diablo II is a far more complex job, and filled with even more lessons to be learned.

I wish Jay Wilson the best of luck on his future projects. I'm sure whatever they are, that they will be great. I sincerely hope you are able to brush off all these ridiculous comments and simply take the compliments and the constructive criticism. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of all this pointless rage. The thought infuriates me and you have my sympathy.
Reply Quote

Right on the money. Blizzard's mantra was "never release a game until it was finished." This game was not nearly finished. When the statement concerning PVP was released, all hope vanished. How could you people spend so much time and resources on an unworkable construct. It really seems that the game was created in very little time (excepting the production values, which are fantastic), with little connection to any previous Diablo game.
I mean an "androgynous" Diablo!!!!!
Jay Wilson did not create this mess by him self, it took an entire team effort.

To be fair we all !@#$%ed and moaned to hurry up with release, but what you say has not lost an ounce of truth. It's the general lack of quality in the design that bugs us, not the unfinished product. I'd live with this game unfinished if it had even one iota of soul that D2 had.

I think you said it better than i ever could... this game has no soul...
Reply Quote
Blizz needs to pull a Rob Pardo/Jeff Kaplan(Tigole) move like they did for WoW. Hire the guys that know the most about the way the game needs to be. Worked for wow. Pulled you guys out of Everquest to make WoW.

Now pull someone like Kripparian out to make D3 good.

Do it.
Edited by Bodach#1471 on 1/18/2013 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
27 Gnome Rogue
The game is great, i love it. Keep going, and good luck to Jay, we will see you in Titan for sure.
And lol, Kripparian is just a clown.
Edited by Clystiel#1938 on 1/18/2013 6:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blizz needs to pull a Rob Pardo/Jeff Kaplan(Tigole) move like they did for WoW. Hire the guys that know the most about the way the game needs to be. Worked for wow. Pulled you guys out of Everquest to make WoW.

Do it.

Please shut up.
Reply Quote

Do it.

Please shut up.

What Fred said.
Reply Quote
Well I guess the new phrase is you got Pardo'd!
Reply Quote
Jay, thanks for your work and efforts on this great game.

Good luck to you in your future successes.

Rob, thanks for stepping in on this thread with your comments. It never ceases to amaze me how bad attitudes on the internet get. Granted, I've had my share of thoughts and posts made in anger and disappointment yet I continue to be surprised at how bad it can get.

Kudos to you, your team and Jay.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Demonise
This will be the longest commented thread on the forums. /Signed.

And he taketh away.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]