Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

MVP
View profile
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I whole-heartedly agree.

People have the right to dislike or disagree with certain aspects of game design, but the blatantly outright disrespect, and juvenile lynch mob mentality is completely undeserved. I am glad that D3 is not a carbon copy of D2.

Sure, D3's not a perfect game by any means, but it's not horrible either. I hope that one day people will set aside the vitriol in favor of constructive criticism.
Reply Quote
good luck jay .
Reply Quote
Other than here, I never hear a positive word said about D3....ever.

I remember the days before Dark Crusade, when Blizzard and Blizzard North were some sharp guys dev'ing great games (with admittedly stolen IP). They cared about their audience. Hell, you could spawn a copy of Warcraft to play your buddy on a LAN. It was a company devoted to delivering good gameplay to gamers. That has not been the case with Blizzard for many years. It's all about handcuffing their playerbase and spoon feeding drivel at a high pricetag.

Admittedly anecdotal, but every person I know of that purchased D3 hasn't played it since their initial run through....or in many cases, have already uninstalled it. If it were a standalone game called Dungeon III, it would have been considered mediocre at best and not worth a $50 price tag with all the other options out on the market. All the warcraft casuals, fanboi hype and historical intertia are what made D3's initial sales spectacular.

The game was poor.

That said, I wish you well on whatever other project you move to....but understand from a gamer's perspective, this was a monumental failure. Do better next time.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Drothvader
I whole-heartedly agree.

Sorry sir, although i didn't want a carbon copy of d2 i did want an upgraded version of it? kind of like what they did with starcraft 1 and upgrading to starcraft 2? different/better game. Diablo 3 is an insult to not just the diablo 1/2 fans. It is an insult to the gaming industry and a blueprint for a money grab.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:15 PMPosted by THExSLAYER
I whole-heartedly agree.

Sorry sir, although i didn't want a carbon copy of d2 i did want an upgraded version of it? kind of like what they did with starcraft 1 and upgrading to starcraft 2? different/better game. Diablo 3 is an insult to not just the diablo 1/2 fans. It is an insult to the gaming industry and a blueprint for a money grab.

The game's definitely an upgrade to the poopfest that was D2.

*Looks at profile, facepalm*
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Drothvader
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I whole-heartedly agree.

People have the right to dislike or disagree with certain aspects of game design, but the blatantly outright disrespect, and juvenile lynch mob mentality is completely undeserved. I am glad that D3 is not a carbon copy of D2.

Sure, D3's not a perfect game by any means, but it's not horrible either. I hope that one day people will set aside the vitriol in favor of constructive criticism.

Well said sir.

Just look at all these casuals posting is already a big insult to the community that love this game.
Reply Quote

if you like this game so much i would expect more from your profile. you barb isn't even as good as bad players barbs. so i assume you are just a troll now

Looks like someone needs to upgrade their gems first before commenting on other player characters :) Is that the only way you can defend yourself, by comparing my superior barb to your !@#$ty one? Haha!

Half as good? you don't even know anything about this game, and so you wanna talk about barb equipments? Yet you brag about how great your suggestions are going to improve the game. Learn to play newb.

haha child. you said i was a bad player so my gems not being maxed should be expected. if you could figure out that most of us quit many time which is why some things are not maxed. but that doesn't explain how you being someone who loves this game and is great isn't even as good

what are you talking about being half as good. i don't know anything about the game? ok, so i am a bad player that knows nothing about d3. yet my barb is still better then yours and your the great d3 player who loves the game? you insults really make no sense son. please tell me what suggestion i claimed would improve the game. you just keep spitting made up comments. if you want to talk about the game then please do so. don't act like a child just screaming insults an made up crap because your dealing in emotion
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:21 PMPosted by drunkie
yet my barb is still better then yours

And this is based on?
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Vexel
Personally, I thought the story was better, the atmosphere was darker, the itemization and items overall were better, and those are just a few things.

You know, I just realized what's missing from D3's atmosphere... weather! D2's day/night cycles and weather effects added enormously to the game's atmosphere -- the same area looked and felt totally different at "night" than it did in the "day."

Imagine running the deserts around Caldeum... at night. When it's cooler. So that the Templar can maybe stop complaining about the heat for whole minutes at a time.

I get that Act 1's Fields of Misery are suppoed to feel gloomy, but they're so relentlessly dreary that it actually sucks the fun out of killing monsters there. The NPCs keep telling us what great farmland it'd be, but it doesn't look like a place where anyone sane would want to live. You know, even if it weren't cursed, and teeming with ferocious monstrosities.

I wonder how tough it would be to add day/night and weather to D3?
Reply Quote
A lot of the comments regarding the disparity from diablo 2 are purely incorrect.
Many people clearly didn't play diablo 2 on release, long before many of the features they tout as important and sorely missed were introduced in patches and the expansion.

Posts claiming that there are so many less interesting effects clearly haven't spent much time actually playing the game or using late game items, maybe taking time to familiarise yourself with whatever you are ranting about would be a good idea. Merely reading the stats of a few legendaries would show such statements to be false.

I refuse to believe that anyone thought diablo 2 didn't have a cheesy over-the-top storyline without putting on some serious nostalgia goggles. In fact the restrictiveness in the quests of diablo 3 is less than that of 2, both of which are clearly less open than the first game. running through the same chunk of the game multiple times in D3 opens a vein of short side-quests and different sub areas to explore that certainly beats D2's linear story and play set in large fields with little to do.
People that moan about the RMAH mustn't have been that involved in end-game D2 playing, all it does is legitimizes what was already happening, and makes the advantages available to far more players. The game is not 'pay to win' nobody can 'win' diablo. Stop making life so competitive.

those of you that think the game is dying then you simply need to browse the forums a little bit. A lot of people are very enthusiastic about something you think nobody cares about.
If the game is rapidly losing it's fanbase then blizzard can tell from their website and game stats. They don't need your expert opinion.

Replaying the game to change a stat does not equal replayability, it equals that you are a very boring person. If you have completed inferno with every class than you've got a lot more time out of diablo than you probably have out of most of the other games you've played recently. Definitely more time for money than you'd get out of going to the cinema. If you still want to play for longer, why not try getting to the last paragon level or completing the classes on hardcore this time?

As for UI elements that break your immersion, many of them can be turned off. You can turn off character dialogue if you find the voice acting annoying. This is a PC game, you are not an idiot. Tweak the settings.

As for the horror atmosphere, I guess you could say it's less grimy than 1 or 2. But it's far more varied and interesting to look at. The are still ample amounts of blood and gore and depravity to satisfy your cravings though, Diablo 2 wasn't particularly scary. I don't see impaled angles and a poor girl dragged through a tower leaving a trail of blood and then being forced to stretch and tear her skin into the shape of a strangely feminine diablo particularly cartoony and 'dumbed down'.

PVP support in Diablo 2 was a bare minimum, the PVP community and style was almost purely created by the players. Blizzard just let you kill each other if you wanted to. This wasn't a bad thing, but at least something PVP is coming up pretty soon, at the end of the day if all players want is the same toggle system in D2 then I guess blizzard will have to include it. I don't have much to say on PVP. Except I'm looking forward to trying some wizard builds I've come up with soon.

Vanilla inferno really isn't that difficult any more. One can play through to the end of inferno without buying anything on the auction house or facing too much frustration at the hands of elites, at release this was different. But the game has changed a lot since then. Just as Diablo 2 changed a lot. And if you don't feel insanely powerful late game when faced with average mobs then try a different build. Every class can be wonderfully destructive if you pick your skills smartly.

And other stuff. I've just realised that disagreeing and arguing on the internet is a waste of time. It's 2:30am already where I live and I have better things to do in the morning.

EDIT: Damn that was a chore to read without paragraphs.
Edited by Azaeroth#2180 on 1/19/2013 6:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]