Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

Release more contents plz i'll buy it and the mass will buy it... The people that QQ will always QQ because its in their nature to whinge and whine... Better still, shut down this forum its doing more damage than good...
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 06:42 PMPosted by st4cks
And for future reference why don't you guys test the games before you release them. Try to have them as complete as possible. The game still doesn't feel complete.

Won't happen.
Protecting the all-mighty "Lore" is more important.

I am not saying Lore is not important, but if you put it in Front of everything else (specially core gameplay / mechanics) you are doing it wrong.

~10-15 People in your Tester Team cant do the job Millions can do.
You need to break your game completly in beta and fix it up, before you release it.
Reply Quote
I'm not attacking anyone. I am simply just stating that I find it harder and harder to come read anything here because most of what I see here is garbage save the few shining examples of constructive criticism.

The bottom line, the direct attacks on Jay Wilson, or any Blizzard Employee for that matter is completely uncalled for and does NOTHING to make this game better.

It is ok to attack Jay Wilson. If he made a good game he would love to come on here and get the praise from fans. He made a bad game. A very, very bad game. So he deserves the feedback.

This game is part of the Diablo legacy and part of Blizzard as a whole. In no way did this game live up to the Diablo legacy or up to the standard of a Blizzard game. The dialogue was awful, the PvP did not exist (and may never), the gameplay was boring, the monsters uninspired, the social aspect not as good as D2, the coolness factor of monsters/players was not there etc. etc.

He should be ashamed of himself and of this game.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
01/19/2013 08:04 PMPosted by RonPaul
He made a bad game. A very, very bad game. So he deserves the feedback.

Last I checked, there wasn't one single solitary member of the Diablo III team that made this game, or even made all of the design choices for that matter.

Hey, I see you mad there
Don't be hasty
Here's who to be mad at
The whole dev team, maybe?
Reply Quote
View profile
01/19/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Drothvader
I hope that one day people will set aside the vitriol in favor of constructive criticism.

There is actually a lot of concrit in this thread. For example, I linked this a couple thousand posts ago. Account bound items! In friggin D-I-A-B-L-O!!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592643379
Reply Quote
He made a bad game. A very, very bad game. So he deserves the feedback.

Last I checked, there wasn't one single solitary member of the Diablo III team that made this game, or even made all of the design choices for that matter.

Hey, I see you mad there
Don't be hasty
Here's who to be mad at

Agreed, but since he was the "Game Director" didn't he basically quarterback the game? He was the face that everyone saw in the interviews, he made the statments that he did and correct me if I'm wrong, weren't a lot of the major design decisions his? Well him and Rob Pardo is asking for blame to be cast at him. I agree that personal insults are unwarranted, I'ver never posted like that and won't, it's pointless. There have been a lot of very good threads with constructive feedback (including a few by yourself) though, it's not all hate and insults here.

Another way of looking at it is to compare it to football. The fans expect a good product on the field. If they don't get that, the head coach usually gets the blame and there is an uproar. Granted it's not all of the head coaches fault, but ultimately he calls a lot the major shots for the team overall. See what I mean?
Edited by Vexel#1434 on 1/19/2013 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Hey, I see you mad there
Don't be hasty
Here's who to be mad at

i know he did not make the game by himself. but he is the lead developer. he made a bad game and now he has egg on his face. he was a jerk to a former developer, mocked the fans and made an awful, awful game. he should be ashamed of himself. seven years for this steaming pile of crap is a disgrace to the legacy of Diablo and Blizzard.

i am mad at Blizzard for releasing the game as well as Mr. Wilson. that is not hasty that is fact.
Reply Quote
If you believe that "the whole dev team" is to be held accountable for the ultimate product that was shipped, then unfortunately you need to re-educate yourself as to the structure of design decisions on a multi-million dollar AAA title, such as Diablo III.

The backend server guys didn't creep away into the corner and come back seven years later with the Auction House system and spring it on the team with a "Hey, so this is in the game now."
All of these things are checked and balanced against the design as outlined in the design documents. While these can, and most certainly do, change over the course of the game's development, there is always a definitive man or woman on top of the pile, so to speak, with the magical power to say "Yes" or "No" at the end of the day.

Jay Wilson positioned himself in all pre-release media as being that person, and took every opportunity to make sure we knew that he personally understood what the Diablo games were all about, and that this is why we should be looking forward to Diablo III. The message was clear: "As long as the guy in charge gets it, we're gonna be fine."

Now, post-release, the blame for a product that we'll generously call "disappointing" is being shifted around. For all the talk of innovation and great design, basically everything - from the Skill system to the lack of an Attribute system, to the Auction House, the Boss Fights and the inclusion of "encounters", to removed items like rage timers - was copied and pasted directly from Blizzard's massively successful MMORPG "World of Warcraft" at a fundamental level.
Jay Wilson didn't "get" Diablo. His team did an amazing job of doing what they were told to do - they were simply told to do the wrong thing.
The re-release inventory screens, for example, are vastly superior to what we ultimately received. If Jay Wilson held the position he attempted to describe in interviews, he's the one who had final say on that element. Same applies to the additional elements.

As for this thread, I'm surprised that there are as many people in here being as nice as they are frankly. The man who took one of gamings greatest and most beloved franchises and ran into the ground, taking the Blizzard name with it, has "stepped down" from his position. I've actually got more respect for this community seeing how restrained they are in here. It could have been a lot worse, and Jay Wilson got off lightly.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I whole-heartedly agree.

People have the right to dislike or disagree with certain aspects of game design, but the blatantly outright disrespect, and juvenile lynch mob mentality is completely undeserved. I am glad that D3 is not a carbon copy of D2.

Sure, D3's not a perfect game by any means, but it's not horrible either. I hope that one day people will set aside the vitriol in favor of constructive criticism.

That's what I've been trying to do for the last few months Droth. :)

I initially was on the anti-Jay bandwagon, but then I stepped back and started to realize that this much of a mess couldn't have come from just one person unless it was his and only his direction going forward. As I've said previously, there was, and perhaps still is, not that much cohesion and definite direction for this game, and that needs to be addressed before Diablo 3 will become the game it should have been at launch.

In the end I don't think Jay got a fair shake, and I sincerely hope that whoever replaces him has knowledge and experience with this franchise so they can make informed decisions regarding its future. The new director needs to have played both Diablo 1 and 2, or at least Diablo 2, as well as Diablo 3 so they can learn firsthand what worked in previous Diablo games, and apply that to their vision of Diablo 3 so we get the best of both worlds.

Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

This is good, IMO it doesn't need to be the best, just a lot more of what was promised, and keep working on the things that need to be improved the most, first, to bring people back to the game.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Vexel
Another way of looking at it is to compare it to football. The fans expect a good product on the field. If they don't get that, the head coach usually gets the blame and there is an uproar. Granted it's not all of the head coaches fault, but ultimately he calls a lot the major shots for the team overall. See what I mean?

Yes. It's also easier to change one coach than an entire team roster.
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 1/19/2013 8:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
ok please anwser me this. it is wrong for people to attack jay wilson over there dislike of the game. i would agree with this.

but please tell me why you didn't say anything when jay wilson attacked and insulted the customers . it's ok for him to make fun of the players mocking them with t shirts an a hidden pony level. all this done to mock the fears fans brought up about the game looking cartoonish. telling the customers they don't know what fun is. that we don't remember the game right. belittle people for years when people pointed out whats wrong with the game suggestions. yet these people put up with his insults an still bought the game. now they got proved right an there fears an suggestion was correct only to have jay wilson laugh it off. when other more well known game makers say the same things we been saying jay say makes his comment about that loser. which was basically saying that to the customers who shared this view also

so where was you or blizzard when this man made these childish acts. now when people do it back it is some how wrong and he is a victim? if you stick your hand in a sharks mouth an wiggle his teeth don't cry when it bites your arm off. if you guys didn't want the paying customers to be this upset and outraged maybe you should of stopped him from insulting and attacking your customers

Droth did say something, just not much. In fact I believe he disagreed with what Jay had said outside of work rather vehemently. He did not, however, tell others what to think nor post much else on it so as to not stir up a storm any more so than there already was.

And no, we weren't in the right when we retorted back at Jay Wilson. Many of us are guilty of the "two wrongs don't make a right" altruism. It's the tit-for-tat that has made this a cesspool, and now look at the results. Whoever replaces Jay will have their work cut out for them trying to please us when we're already riled up. Jay at least had a head start on it being that he realized players were quite upset and since he was one of the developers that actually coded the game, he could have sped things up, but instead we're going to see a slowing of progress until his replacement gets up to speed.

All in all, this is a no-win situation for everybody, and the worst possible outcome. And it demonstrates that we are in fact a very dysfunctional community, and we need to shape up just as much as the developers do.

Reply Quote
01/19/2013 07:55 PMPosted by drunkie

You were offended by the pony level?!

Ha!

didn't say that. but it was done to mock the customers. that is not acceptable.

y so srs

Whimyshire is amazing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]