Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

I'll give kudos for admitting blame, however, I don't think you quite understand just how much us Diablo players are disappointed with your product. Diablo 1 and 2 were so gigantic that they eclipse most games since the beginning of gaming, and Diablo 3 felt like a rushed cash cow. Blizzard is supposed to be the pinnacle of gaming, "the" gaming company.

The failure of D3 has made me not even want to play D1 or D2 anymore, you have soiled a near-perfect franchise for a lot of people.

Prove to us that we should continue to think of you as "the" gaming company. Prove to us you're not just in it for the money. Trust me, you'll make even more money that way. You have become far too profit > fun based and forget what actually makes money in the video game world, fun. Why does a certain MoBA have 36 million active users? Because they focus on fun moreso than income. And guess what? They make a crap ton of money out of it.

A lot of us are still blizzard fans, but we are losing our devotion due to lackluster updates, and overall lackluster content. We are here because of what you did in the past, and if all we have to hang on to is the past, we will not stay much longer.
Reply Quote

I wholly disagree. I remember being absolutely surrounded by herds of hell cows. The clank clank of constant blocks made the feel of combat real. There was much more attention given to the layered timing of the fight than that which is found anywhere in d3.

while i'm inclined to agree with your description, it differs from what I think Rob was trying to describe. The whole fun with smashing things. I'm envisioning an armload of the barbarian skills that look really brutal, like seismic slam, DH Strafe if your over geared, SSS, if you strip away all of the math. ALL of the math. and just imagine the attacks succeeding, they look and feel good. Don't consider anything but the feel. It might not be as complex or accurate or a whole number of things when compared to D2 but it (D3) looks and feels good. I would bet the farm that everyone who ever tried barbarian started the game, leveld up, picked hammer of the ancients went and smacked a zombie and thought it felt pretty good. within those 5 minutes.

Graphically the game is appealing enough, if not lacking in some detail I already described such as specialized death animation. That aside, its a problem that ALL attacks succeed. They turned D2 into a shooter. A SHOOTER for chrissakes! I remember a reading of similar outrage when Capcom took Resident Evil series and released its latest shooter driven sequel. People were RIGHTFULLY POd, because you know, they wanted a Resident Evil game from a Resident Evil title. The problem is the same here. The developers strayed too far away from a design that was perfect.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 10:06 PMPosted by KillRyan
The pony level was created for guys like you. It's a joke that you obviously did not get.

I believe it was a result of people throwing a fit about the rainbow over the bridge entering the Highlands.

People raged about it, so as a joke, Blizzard included a level filled with chubby ponies and psycho teddy bears.

Ironically, the music played on that level is Gaspard de la Nuit by Ravel which loosely translates to "The Devil of the Night". The song is played backwards.

There are 3 movements to the suite, ironically.

The particular movement portrayed is Le Gibet.

Anyway, it's an intended joke that was overly effective.

Back in the Cataclysm Beta, people complained that the Maelstrom wasn't epic enough, so they put in a Forsaken, playing a guitar, riding on a raptor, that's riding on a shark that has a laser attached to its head. Same concept more or less.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 10:23 PMPosted by drunkie
that is called mocking the concerns of your customers

What concern is that exactly?

I really do not understand why you're so hung up on an Easter Egg.

Raging over a single rainbow is not exactly what I would consider a legitimate concern.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
Rob Pardo and Jay Wilson are certainly men of men. I hope that I can be as successful as they in a place like Blizzard some day...
Reply Quote
Rob, I'm 35 years old and I have been playing Blizzard titles since I changed a purchase on a game called Warcraft Orcs & Humans at Best Buy. Since then, Blizzard has made my favorite games with great gameplay and cool storylines.

I believe the core problem with Diablo 3 lies with the auction house. The gameplay experience that is postiive for me falls in finding that next upgrade. I've tried to avoid the Auction House in an effort to provide this experience for myself, but this of course leaves me at a disadvantage to others who use it, along with the loot system which is geared towards AH play.

I'd greatly prefer the game without it.

My suggestion is that if you'd like to monetize Diablo, you do so by offering content packs - not adding full acts, but perhaps expanding on the relatively few truly random elements (from a world perspective) that are in the game. I'd be happy to throw money at Blizzard for this...
Reply Quote
D2 had enemies that melt after being turned into ice and smashed. Fallen would cry out Rakinishu!

Colenzo!
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

I just had to google this guys credentials holy **** worked on almost every game blizz makes.

I was half on jays side (i even posted a nice comment just to offset the hate), most of the games problems werent because of him more blizz is kind of greedy from the stupid profits WoW makes.

obviously he wouldnt get a good response, you guys should know you pay people to monitor this ****, any little girl posts online they get pedophilic comments someone needs to monitor it or lock it down.

Its good to hear from you but really not necessary. Having him leave before the xpac is a little weird though isnt it?
Reply Quote
Rob, I'm 35 years old and I have been playing Blizzard titles since I changed a purchase on a game called Warcraft Orcs & Humans at Best Buy. Since then, Blizzard has made my favorite games with great gameplay and cool storylines.

I believe the core problem with Diablo 3 lies with the auction house. The gameplay experience that is postiive for me falls in finding that next upgrade. I've tried to avoid the Auction House in an effort to provide this experience for myself, but this of course leaves me at a disadvantage to others who use it, along with the loot system which is geared towards AH play.

I'd greatly prefer the game without it.

My suggestion is that if you'd like to monetize Diablo, you do so by offering content packs - not adding full acts, but perhaps expanding on the relatively few truly random elements (from a world perspective) that are in the game. I'd be happy to throw money at Blizzard for this...

Couldn't express my feeling bout the game better than this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]