Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

You could start by having the features that shipped with diablo 2 ready when D3 came out.

Or you know, in the same calendar year D3 was released.

Maybe?

Was more than 3.5 levels too much to ask? You could seriously come up with only 3.5 levels in 7 years of development?

I'd gladly pay a subscription to a game like D3 if it actually had things to do.
Reply Quote
it saddens me too i paid for a trash game, that still doesnt have a pvp or anything special about it - almost 1 year after its release. but at least you admit, that its you who is to blame. in the meantime you guys should have figured out enough reasons why people hate diablo 3, but i think you really still dont care, nor are you eager to change anything about it, but crying. in case you want to learn something about making good games [for free] have a look here - the diablo killer has come.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

ps: to rescue diablo i´d give the people a free-addon with more classes to play, if i were you. but, i bet your just too greedy to do that and that's why your game has become a still birth in the first place. funny.
Edited by purpledoom#2487 on 1/21/2013 2:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
it saddens me too i paid for a trash game, that still doesnt have a pvp or anything special about it - almost 1 year after its release. but at least you admit, that its you who is to blame. in the meantime you guys should have figured out enough reasons why people hate diablo 3, but i think you really still dont care, nor are you eager to change anything about it, but crying. in case you want to learn something about making good games [for free] have a look here - the diablo killer has come.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

ps: to rescue diablo i´d give the people a free-addon with more classes to play, if i were you. but, i bet your just too greedy to do that and that's why your game has become a still birth in the first place. funny.

PoE is trash. It feels like a free to play game.
Reply Quote
The problem is, there is a fundamental problem at Blizzard in trying to simplify all their recent game systems. It started changing in the past few years and Blizzard has strayed very, very far away from their original philosophy of easy-to-pick-up, but difficult-to-master. WoW and Diablo 3 has become easy-to-pick-up, but boring and monotonous.

Looking at WoW, the Cataclysm 31-point talent system lock was the first step in creating a simplified system, which effectively reduced the depth of the combat system, and thus, the combat itself. Since much of the players' time are spent in combat, Cataclysm got boring fast, with players using the same builds and rotations over and over for the entire duration of Cataclysm. It is no coincidence that subscription dropped so much in Cataclysm -- in addition to the lack of content, the simplification of the game also played a large role. It will happen again in Pandaria. The current WoW offers no customization and no differentiation.

Diablo 3 is in the same boat. The fundamental Blizzard philosophy of simplifying the game system has caused the game to be monotonous and boring. The core design of the game is completely flawed. Simplifying the classes to have a main stat with weapon damage that cause character power to grow exponentially should have been a big red flag to anyone who even has a high school diploma. Blizzard designers did not foresee this problem.

The core design of "main stat" caused most items to be unusable to 80% of the classes. The simplification of skills and the lack of skill allocations caused the game to have no customization. A good designer could have seen and avoided all these problems within one minute of being assigned to the task of making Diablo 3.

Another major problem at Blizzard right now is that they are balancing their PvE game first before PvP. Blizzard needs to realize that PvE is a SUBSET of PvP. PvP requires positioning, CC, damage, and defense balance for every class. Whereas PvE is merely a static DPS number with minor defense balances. This concept applies to both WoW and Diablo 3.

The fact that Jay Wilson said, "Shut up, PvP guy." was a clear sign that PvP would never work for Diablo 3. In addition to the big exponential gap in character power based on equipment, it should be no surprise that dueling in 1.07 will be nothing more than a one-shot fest. Being unable to see these obvious problems is exactly why it is clear that the Diablo 3 team is not up to the task of making Diablo 3. To make PvP work in Diablo 3 would require Diablo 3 to be rebuilt from the ground up. That is why one should never say, "Shut up, PvP guy."

Additionally, as a player of all Blizzard games, I see a big difference between the WoW / Diablo designers and the SC2 designers. Rock and DKim take feedback and logically explain what the SC2 team is trying to accomplish. Whereas the WoW and Diablo team keep proclaiming how great their design is, only to release the game / feature to find out that their design is flawed, boring, and monotonous (ie. Cataclysm talent system and the entirety of Diablo 3) and all needs to be reworked. All those years spent on "iteration" completely wasted and the teams still couldn't create a good experience.

Speaking of "iteration", "iterating" is why it took Diablo 3 tens years to make, and it came out to be less interesting than a game made by a team of 10 people. The "iterating" problem has plagued WoW for years, I have warned the WoW team about the 31-point lockdown of the talent system in alpha and how the talent system has been simplified to the point of uselessness. I actually predicted that the WoW team would scrap the Cataclysm talent system once again and just allow players to pick from one of two / three choices -- exactly what happened in Pandaria. The designers at Blizzard needs to _think_ and predict the outcome of their designs instead of wasting months of programmer time to realize their flawed vision.

Blizzard needs to find designers who can realize problems with designs instead of having to "iterate" so many times and come out with a boring, monotonous, and simplified version of designs that fans did not ask for. Blizzard doesn't need to hire a designer that has shipped huge titles (as per job description), Blizzard needs to hire someone who has played their games, understand what makes those games great, and have the intelligence to not waste programming time on flawed designs.

There are so many flaws with Diablo 3 (in fact, the core mathematics of the game is broken), I didn't even bother to voice my opinion on it. Diablo 2 was built on a great mathematical foundation; WoW was built on a stable mathematical foundation -- that is why both games were taken to great heights in their respective expansions. However, the core components of Diablo 3 are broken and no amount of small patches will fix it. It needs to be rebuilt. Blizzard needs to hire someone with a strong math background, knows a lot about theory-crafting, and understand what makes games have depth and longevity.

Having already spent hours and hours trying to warn Blizzard about WoW's talent system direction with no avail, it is clear that no one can steer Blizzard away from their new philosophy of simplifying their games and hiring designers who keep wasting programming time iterating and still unable to create a good game experience.
Edited by exa#1544 on 1/23/2013 4:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem is, there is a fundamental problem at Blizzard to simplify game systems. it started changing in the past few years and Blizzard has strayed very, very far away from their original philosophy of easy-to-pick-up, but difficult-to-master.

Look at WoW. The Cataclysm 31-point talent system lock was the first step in creating a simplified system, which effectively reduced the depth of the combat system, and thus, the combat itself. Since much of the players' time are spent in combat, Cataclysm got boring fast, with players using the same builds and rotations over and over for the entire duration of Cataclysm. It is no coincidence that subscription dropped so much in Cataclysm -- the simplification of the game played a large role. It will happen again in Pandaria. WoW offers no customization.

Diablo 3 is in the same boat. The fundamental Blizzard philosophy of simplifying the game system has caused the game to be monotonous and boring. The core design of the game is completely flawed. Simplifying the classes to have a main stat with weapon damage that cause character power to grow exponentially should be a big red flag to anyone who even has a high school diploma.

The core design of the game causes most items to be unusable to 80% of the classes. The simplification of skills and the lack of skill allocations caused the game to have no customization. A good designer could have seen and avoided all these problems within one minute of being assigned to the task of making Diablo 3.

Another major problem at Blizzard right now is that they are balancing their PvE game first before PvP. Blizzard needs to realize that PvE is a SUBSET of PvP. PvP requires positioning, CC, damage, and defense balance for every class. Whereas PvE is merely a static DPS number with minor defense balances. This concept applies to both WoW and Diablo 3.

The fact that Jay Wilson said, "Shut up, PvP guy." was a clear sign that PvP would never work for Diablo 3. Being unable to see this inherent problem is exactly why players can see that the Diablo 3 team is not up to the task of making Diablo 3.

And to add to all the problems above is Blizzard's core philosophy of "iteration". "Iterating" is why it took Diablo 3 10 years to make, and it came out to have lesser quality of a game made by a team of 10 people. I have warned the WoW team about the 31-point lockdown of the talent system in alpha. I actually predicted that the WoW team would scrap the talent system and simplify it even more to allow players to pick from one of two choices -- exactly what happened in Pandaria.

Blizzard needs to find designers who can realize problems with designs instead of having to "iterate" so many times and come out with a boring, monotonous, and simplified version of designs that fans did not ask for.

In WoW, everyone used the same talent spec they looked up on elitistjerks.com because that was the best. Only bads customized.
Reply Quote

In WoW, everyone used the same talent spec they looked up on elitistjerks.com because that was the best. Only bads customized.

For WoW PvE, maybe. But that is because the game is mostly balanced on tank-and-spank theoretical numbers. Look at Guild Wars 2 and how much more customization it has to offer. GW2 is not based on standing still and pushing a couple buttons in rotation, instead, different skills have a use in different situations, so that everything, even Vitality (Stamina), is useful.

WoW PvE is merely one theoretical DPS/HPS number. As a 2400-rated player, my spec differed compared to other players in WotLK. I customized my build to optimize my potential depending on who I ran with.
Edited by exa#1544 on 1/21/2013 2:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 02:25 AMPosted by Rhetorical
PoE is trash. It feels like a free to play game.

I hope one day Diablo III can aspire to be 1/10th of the game PoE is. As of now PoE is the official sequel to Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
Thank you Mr. Wilson for this gaming experience. It was not perfect, but still great. Although I have bad feeling about your decision to step back from Diablo 3 project, I am glad that now forums will be about something different then why did you fail. Now fans have to point out their frustration someplace else, which I believe is step in the right direction :). Keep up the good work!
Reply Quote
I absolutley agree with exa, ( bilzz, should look at this what you wrote) although you should more focus on D3. I know its been said like 35234526643 times, but one of the core problems is, and will be the Auction house. Why ? It basiclly steals from us players the will to not only go and kill countless monsters, but to actually search for good items.

I remember the time, while playing D2, making it to the II act and having huge problems with Duriel. Solution- i had to lvl up and find new gear, and it was such a rewarding moment when i finally found this kick as.s yellow crystal sword and i could finnaly beat duriel. I was really happy and i felt like i acomplished something.

This is what was taken from us JUST with adding the AH. There ofcourse more problems wich are listed here at this forum, but i think lots of older players will remember this times playing D2= now the game is nothing more than just waiting in the AH- buying and playing witch no reward fealing... such a shame.. cheers.

(Sorry for my english)
Reply Quote
Take care Jay and destroy the next game.
I have thought it is impossible to co_ck up Diablo 3.
You like Tom Cruise in his Movie, you did it!
Reply Quote
I understand how things work in a firm as big as blizzard especially when things dont work out the way they should ( im talkin abt pvp)

You tried ur best .some things worked some things didnt that said .. Best of luck with your future and hope you dont get a challenging community like Diablo in ur future projects
Reply Quote
What a collosal mess of a game. Obviously Jay isn't the only one to blame but his attitude towards the community and his peers has been appauling.

The whole experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I will never buy another Blizzard product day one.
Reply Quote
The AH as an option is OK.
That random-loot is the problem.
There is nearly no way to play this game without the AH because you only find crap.
In D2 jou get a chance that an axe get a little more dps, strength, vitality or other things.
In D3 you find 1000 axes and they are all crap with intelligence, dex or reduce of costs for zombiewall.
This crap is needed for nothing.
It is only in the game to make the AH earn money for blizzard.
Normal loot and class-specific items with usable stats are the only way to get D3 back on the screens.
But then, the AH doesn't work like it is wished from Blizz.

Its sad but theres nearly no useble way to solve this problem.
maybe the other problems can be solved.
Reply Quote
Remember diablo 2 patch 1.13? I guess not.

Blizzard made a thread so we could give them ALL kind of suggestions and you know what we got after like one year of delay? Respecc. Thank you. Thats what we needed.

Let me just put up a simple question to Blizzard.

Why didnt you add such simple things as runewords or uber event to 1.13?

And Blizzard, this is not the ONLY thing you fail to.

Back in WOTLK Blizzard knew they F up pvp badly and made threads like "what do you want for your class?"

Majority said "survival for moonkins kkthx" in the druid forum and we got a CRAZY DPS BUFF TO STARFALL THAT MADE EVERY OTHER CLASS WHINE SO WE GOT NERFED TO CRAP ONCE AGAIN!

=NO IMPROVEMENT!

I HOPE THAT YOU GUYS IN THE FUTURE TAKES YOUR PROMISE AND LISTEN TO US PLAYERS! The patches of d3 is improving i have to say so i have hopes.

A big :/ to Bashiok and Ghostcrawler.

Im not usually a whiner but please Blizzard please stop putting up suggestion threads because you never listen anyways. I guess it will come soon. "Next expansion up what do you want?"

Maybe hire someone that can take care of it. Not someone with supergood background because they cant understand what normal people think. Just hire someone thats decent that can scan the forum and write down in a paper what he have came up with. Because even the smartest people are dumber than normal people in some points it seems.. why else would they have made those suggestion threads in the WoW forums back in WOTLK?

Whats up? What happened? I can imagine Blizzards mind.

"OH SH WE SCREWED UP PVP VERY BAD!"

"But we are the best ones in the world."

"Go ask the stupid people how to fix it."
Edited by Sam#2475 on 1/21/2013 3:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
whatever this is
i just hope this will bring diablo3 onto a fresh changes

that's all
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Ozzmoziz
If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game

shut down both auction houses
How about PvP ala Diablo 2 style, ears and all?
Reply Quote
i agree !!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]