Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

Have been playing D3 since Day 1 till now. i play also most everyday, just love it. i just wanna say BLIZZARD's Diablo team has done Great & so as Jay Wilson.

Looking forward to your new patch & Expension. Blizzard forever!!
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Iceman
D3 was a huge hit because of D2. That's it. Your sales were generated by people who were excited for a sequel and bought your product on faith. This game made tons of people, like myself, lose faith.

This statement is what I like to call an "absolute truth". It is critical that Blizzard understands this.

01/19/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Iceman
You can turn this around if you care to.

And another one here.

I'm glad that Jay Wilson is leaving. I wish you well Jay, thanks for your efforts. I also thought it was admirable that Pardo got on here and said something. OK bud, you asked for it. Time to put all that money (10 million sales on opening at what 50 bucks a pop) where your mouth just went. LOL!
Reply Quote
The only thing Jay Wilson and David Brevik have in common is that they will both go down in the history books of the gaming industry.

David for creating one of the greatest and most successful franchises of all time, and Jay for destroying the greatest franchise of all time.
Reply Quote
Bought game at release.

Was thoroughly dissapointed with the product, expected a continuation of diablo 1 and diablo 2.

Pony level to me sums up how out of touch the dev team was with the legacy of diablo as a franchise.

Not much is right with diablo 3 if you have expectations comming from diablo 1 and 2.

Awful game, shamefull really when you think about it.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Isn't this a bit "too little, too late"? You (meaning all high-level Blizz/Activision) basically allowed a misguided community to wreck a guy's life. And this is the FIRST statement of support from Blizz the entire damn time. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

There is a saying regarding leadership: "Speak truth to power, protect your subordinates (paraphrasing)." Jay Wilson understood this when he made the ill-advised Facebook comment. I respected him hugely for that. Any idiot should have been able to tell what his intent was (not to bash Brevik, but stand up for his [too-sensitive] subordinate). Through all these months he's been the facade that accepted all the community ire with hardly a word in his defense. And you all let him sit there and just take it.

Whatever. Its easy to see from all this that the culture at Blizz is not quite healthy these days. I just hope you all figure it out because I enjoy D3, despite all its problems, and would like to see it continue to get better. And maybe Blizz/Activision could learn something from Jay about how to treat & publicly support your subordinates, even/ESPECIALLY when they make mistakes (and mistakes happen - its your job as a leader to deal with them, not hide from them). Because that is when they need your support the most.
Edited by Duban#1965 on 1/21/2013 7:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Awful game. Can't even imaging people who praise it. Probably Jay's bots?
Reply Quote

OK! great, you mr. senior exec at least are taking personal accountability. Positive step in the right direction!

From my extensive IT project experience (15 years) seriously consider the following:

--> Provide a high level plan, road map, view, of what you and the D3 team intend to implement over the next 12 months.

That shows planning, a statement of direction, commitment!

Or will there be continued general statements like "we have many plans for D3" with no substance?

Prove to the community that you, as the CCO, can manage the expectations!

Now, let us see if and how you respond :)

D3 remains my game of choice!

All of the best........

We should all stick to doing what were good at. So, please take your jaded vague business logic elsewhere and leave the development to the Engineers. The Blizzard development team consists of highly trained individuals with expertise pertaining to their field and don't need help from some silly IT guy.

I think they need all the help they can get.
But, of course, they won't ask for it. They have their direction and it is killing the company, quickly.
Reply Quote
this game is dead...
Reply Quote
My only issue is that D3 was not continued from D2. At all. If you look at D1 to D2, you know it was a huge improvement and that everything that D1 failed on D2 scrapped. Things that made D1 amazing, D2 stuck with them. However, D3 dropped D2. D3 could have literally just been a brand new franchise and it probably would have turned out better.

The thing that is really bothering me is that D2 was not looked at when creating D3. Don't tell me other wise. Ladder system, dropped. Runes/Runewords, dropped. Dueling, dropped (until how many months?). Amazing legendary affixes, dropped.

You guys kept basically nothing from D2 and said, "!@#$ it, let's start fresh." I will admit, D2 wasn't great at launch. We all know this. But D2 was amazing when the patches started rolling around. You guys literally repeated history by having a %^-* launch and now are trying to pick up all the pieces. Why? You had such a great foundation to work off of and you guys ignored it. I don't hate Jay Wilson for D3. I blame all of Blizzard for D3's failure. People are directing their hate at Jay since they think he was the final decision on everything.

I am still playing D3 because I know future patches will eventually turn this game into what we always wanted. And when that happens, I want to make sure my characters are ready for the epic adventures. Until then, it's mindless EXP grinding and hoping I make billions...
Reply Quote
Hate to say this ...

But the game felt short and turned out pretty bad. The rune system was a terrific idea and to level up to lvl 60 was also genius.

But the item drops, story, difficulty, match making (I loved diablo 2) pvp, bosses, characters, and so much more was a total let down and outcry to the franchise. I don't think a reboot or expansion can save this game.

The damage is done and it will be my final blizzard product.
Reply Quote
66 Worgen Death Knight
01/21/2013 07:38 AMPosted by szutex
this game is dead...

Not yet. People talk about it, which means it still has a pulse. Only when the forum is a ghost town and servers are off, do we call the coroner's office.
Reply Quote
I have played every Blizzard game since WC2 except WOW, diablo1 and 2 have been my fav by far. I never needed to play a trial version or read a review to buy a Blizzard game in the past, including D3, that's how much trust I had in Blizzard games. In that sense I feel like I have been somewhat let down by a friend that i thought i knew for over 15 years.

Although I have never posted anything negative about Mr Jay Wilson, I can't say I have much positive things I can say about him with how I feel about D3.

I think the heat upon Jay Wilson is deriving from the fact that this game has really caught the attention of people on how the actual product can be negatively influenced by change in structure of the company caused by corporatization. After all it seems clear, to me at least, that Blizzard's more immediate priority are clients (share holders = profit), not the customers (gamers).

I can't blame anyone I guess, Blizzard can't escape from that which is wrong within our society too... I can't hold Mr Jay Wilson responsible for him doing what he was expected to do by the people above him... just as I can't hold Presidents/PMs for screwing the people while the real bosses make profit beyond comprehension, they would just be replaced after taking the political heat which is exactly why they were put there in first place it seems...

So, I will no longer care for Blizzard products, just as Blizzard no longer cares about the customers, or Jay Wilson, or the original Diablo developers (who actually built up Blizzard in many ways) for that matter.

Sad really though.... it's bit like watching your favourite singer becoming a sellout for more profit .... Blizzard used to be something really special

It's been good while it lasted though, it has been a hell of a ride, countless hours of my life spent enjoying playing games... and I guess I should be thankful that I finally got a reason to quit gaming entirely... Life is getting too busy and I'm getting too old for it.

Good bye old friend
Reply Quote
Quit diablo 3 a while ago due to too much fail. However i blame the whole team not just 1 guy. What can i say, i hope you integrate better in the next project.
Reply Quote
Best of luck Jay. Maybe we'll see you around the traps of sanctuary...
Reply Quote
45 Dwarf Hunter
After 2 weeks, playing this game became a chore. What a boring skill + stat system. An RPG with barely any character customization is no fun, I hate playing the same content over and over without the chance to change my play style.
Edited by Junglist724#1464 on 1/21/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Miyuki
this game is dead...

Not yet. People talk about it, which means it still has a pulse. Only when the forum is a ghost town and servers are off, do we call the coroner's office.

Apparently. But you just can't drop D3 account even if you don't play this game.

There is a lot of negative feedback, but it is Wilson who blame this on. Especially his unprofessional disgusting vomit on Facebook targeted at those who actually created unbelievable time-sinking interesting franchise.
Reply Quote

Posted in this thread on page 106 by the Chief Creative Officer, Rob Pardo.

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

OK! great, you mr. senior exec at least are taking personal accountability. Positive step in the right direction!

From my extensive IT project experience (15 years) seriously consider the following:

--> Provide a high level plan, road map, view, of what you and the D3 team intend to implement over the next 12 months.

That shows planning, a statement of direction, commitment!

Or will there be continued general statements like "we have many plans for D3" with no substance?

Prove to the community that you, as the CCO, can manage the expectations!

Now, let us see if and how you respond :)

D3 remains my game of choice!

All of the best........

second this, that would be a start. since the patches appear to be quick and dirty fixes (i actually tried playing this game again today, just to be reassured that there's absolutely nothing to it that makes it a great game).

also, it is REALLY sad that a company like blizzard does not manage to provide decent replies to hundreds of threads out there. if one does not even manage to do this, i think it is about time for those responsible to put the cards on the table and present a plan on how they actually want to meet their own standards or the quality that the game deserves (just citing them).

personally, i would be deeply ashamed of myself if i released something not meeting my own standards to the public. considering all the effort put in by the community up to now (that is, REAL constructive criticism and not just downright bashing the game for what it is right now), it's just logical to live up to the responsibility and present such a plan - if there is none, step down.

it is just sad to see lousy work being rewarded, but as long as one feels good making fun of the community by blatantly ignoring it or by acting like JW whilst exploiting loyal fans to the bones, please mr. rob pardo, go ahead! the financial success might have put you in a position where blizzard is fine with not communicating with its supporters, but that does not mean that it is the way to go.

not that i expect anything to happen, because you guys apparently seem to have VERY LOW moral standards, but hope dies last - isn't that what they say? or is that just for the naive who you laugh at in your office?
Edited by Limbonic#2127 on 1/21/2013 8:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
After all it seems clear, to me at least, that Blizzard's more immediate priority are clients (share holders = profit), not the customers (gamers).

Blizzard is not the only company to try this of late. I've been ignoring another company I know that was skewing customer views so that they could ruin their game. (Not kidding, used to love it, now I can't bear to play it anymore. They ruined it that badly.)

Perhaps someone should spray-paint on Blizzards walls: "The customer is always right. If they're wrong, listen to them anyway. They will be the ones to pay the bills, and are the investors that should always have the most weight."
~ We're the target market. The target market tends to know what it wants.
~ If the target market feels ignored by a company, they tend to ignore that company's games.
~ Someone unhappy with what they got is 4-5x more likely to speak out than someone happy with what they got. You need to satisfy people who are going to buy the game as Diablo vets, or there's a good chance you're screwed. Word of Mouth is a powerful thing. D3 commercials can be the only thing on every channel for a week....but if too many people say it's crap, guess what! People aren't likely to buy in.

Think that's enough for now....
Reply Quote
awsome game man and thanks for all the support good luck man
how come u get dat awsome barb portrait
Reply Quote
The only thing Jay Wilson and David Brevik have in common is that they will both go down in the history books of the gaming industry.

David for creating one of the greatest and most successful franchises of all time, and Jay for destroying the greatest franchise of all time.

+1

Hate to say this ...

But the game felt short and turned out pretty bad. The rune system was a terrific idea and to level up to lvl 60 was also genius.

But the item drops, story, difficulty, match making (I loved diablo 2) pvp, bosses, characters, and so much more was a total let down and outcry to the franchise. I don't think a reboot or expansion can save this game.

The damage is done and it will be my final blizzard product.

+1
good riddance
Edited by Airwen#2628 on 1/21/2013 8:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]