Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

View profile
To all the people who think that D3 sold 10+ Million copies because of D2, do the math.

D2 sold 2-3 million copies, D3 3-4 times as much. Many people bought this game who never

even played the first two. And many people who loved #2 never played the original.

simple answer-

10 years ago -- teens & this in early 20's bought this game (mostly--some older/younger etc) & you bought it once and created as many accounts as you wanted.

Now -- you buy a copy for everyone in household that wants to play it so they can each have an account ... so 3 people in house wants to play -- 3 copies sold.

You need to do math better.
Reply Quote
89 Human Warrior
I don't have any personal vitriol for Pardo or Wilson but unfortunately they don't get a pass just because they tried really really hard.

You were tasked with making a game that was designed to make a !@#$zillion dollars and continue producing a steady revenue stream first, and producing the successor to one of the most successful and popular games to ever have been made second.

Every bit of the game outside of the graphical look/solid-feeling combat is wrongheaded and cynically designed, and during the beta a lot of changes felt like they were made entirely on a whim. The result has been a soulless, joyless game with an immeasurable amount of polish.

I was never one of the hardcore D2 players literally or metaphorically but I would still reinstall it off and on and play with friends when we'd get on a nostalgia trip because it felt like a different yet familiar game every time we did. D3 was just a bore after the first couple runthroughs in the same way that honestly I think Borderlands 2 is; but even with its fairly uninspired non-unique loot, terrible mission system, and nearly Ghostcrawler-level bad insistence on grinding neigh-invulnerable raid bosses for loot at least Gearbox produces regular content for it.

I uninstalled Diablo 3 last week after realizing I had only logged in once in the last 3-4 months. Meanwhile I'm on my forth character and 63 hours of playtime on Torchlight 2 which is somehow more interesting/fun to play despite not having as many interesting skills, as visceral feeling combat, and even in comparison to D3 absolutely no story to speak of.

D3 may still have made and will make a lot more money, but in terms of occupying gamer headspace as the "best ARPG"? It's not even in the running. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and even free-play startup BETA Path of Exile are all there way, way, way before D3.

You know you've produced a mediocre, overhyped, name-driven product when you make half a billion dollars and don't win a single GOTY award from anyone worth a crap.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Cfclanleader
I'll repeat this since my last post got deleted. Pardo is a punk who stepped up after 8 months of Jay Wilson taking the heat, deservedly so. If you're as much to blame as Jay Wilson then you both need to get fired! This "game" is a pathetic piece of garbage and I've never reveled in failure as much as I have with Jay Wilson. He's a tard posing as a game designer and you're a bare assed monkey posing as a CEO. Pardo you're a coward, Jay ur an arrogant prick!

Harsh, but it needed to be said.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Rogue
Afew weeks after the D3 release i quit, so i thought just after beating normal. silly me, i got on afew days ago, lvled to 60 on DH and 54 on barb and thats a great choice i made. I love this game! I even baught a D3 mouse
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid
I think the hate comes from those who over-hyped the game, which Bashiok warned us. The game is not bad, but it's not what we've come to expect from Blizzard. I'm not satisfied with the current game, but I'm patient and will provide feedback and hope for the best. Many of the haters are just impatient. They want immediate results. Blizzard always work on their games after release. If they are not satisfied with the game, they should provide feedback and have a little more patience. I feel that too many people threw the towel away too fast. They jumped on the hate-wagon.

For the haters, I recommend them to go play another game and return to the game once every 2 months of so, to see if the game is "back on track or not".

This guy.

01/21/2013 06:52 PMPosted by cleaner667
I'll repeat this since my last post got deleted. Pardo is a punk who stepped up after 8 months of Jay Wilson taking the heat, deservedly so. If you're as much to blame as Jay Wilson then you both need to get fired! This "game" is a pathetic piece of garbage and I've never reveled in failure as much as I have with Jay Wilson. He's a tard posing as a game designer and you're a bare assed monkey posing as a CEO. Pardo you're a coward, Jay ur an arrogant prick!

Immature comment, this guy is an example of the quote above. Hate and no sense.

Btw its a good game it just needs improvements, specially looting and build viability improvements. Graphics are a matter of personal opinion, story too, but imo the story couldve been better.
Edited by Skorge#1366 on 1/21/2013 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Maybe you should listen to your playerbase.

People hate the AHs. They want to find their own gear. Buff stats on items that have never been AH'd.

People hate the lack of options on gear. Buff unused stats and stop the extreme multiplier effect.

People hate the questline. Remove 90% of it and change key elements. For example, Cain could be cursed after coming in contact with Tyrael instead of dying to some butterfly girl. And Diablo doesn't HAVE to look like a female feline. Diablo 1 did not look like a little boy. And make all bosses scarier and less annoying / cheesy.

YOU hate to use the AH -- for some it is the game...

get over the idea that you speak for everyone

The only people that are saying "the AH is the game" are being sarcastic, besides you apparantly. I guess that means that YOU are the joke.

BTW, there's a highly ranked post in this very thread that says, "shut down both AHs".
Reply Quote
View profile
The only people that are saying "the AH is the game" are being sarcastic, besides you apparantly. I guess that means that YOU are the joke.

BTW, there's a highly ranked post in this very thread that says, "shut down both AHs".

I said for some people it is the game ... I know many people that literally log in to play the AH.... so sorry ... you are the joke ... and blizz wont anger another large section of their player base by shutting it down.

You dont have a CC to use the RMAH ? -- sorry for your bad luck

I forgot to mention -- Highly Rated means there were alot of both LIKES AND DISLIKES...
it does not mean that a majority of the players "Liked" the idea.
Edited by repeatloader#1506 on 1/21/2013 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Immature comment, this guy is an example of the quote above. Hate and no sense.

Btw its a good game it just needs improvements, specially looting and build viability improvements. Graphics are a matter of personal opinion, story too, but imo the story couldve been better.

@Cramunlhão Remove yourself from these forums and from the Internet. You have nothing to contribute here. Go on, there's a good little boy, move along now. Come on.. chop chop.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid

I dont think the AHs are the problem, if they change the looting system the AHs wont be a problem, and one of the reasons the AHs were made was to provide casual players a chance to buy gear safely, because people who work all day dont have the same time to farm like a hardcore player.

@Cramunlhão Remove yourself from these forums and from the Internet. You have nothing to contribute here. Go on, there's a good little boy, move along now. Come on.. chop chop.

hahahahahaha, grow up.
Edited by Skorge#1366 on 1/21/2013 7:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
jay wilson thanks for all your time and effort you put into the game. love the franshise and think in the end this will turn into best of the three. also i really like the auction house I think it is a great feature. its fun to find something that actully sells for real money once and awhile. Thanks again sir and good luck in the future.
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Priest
I honestly do not like to point fingers at anyone. It's too easy to do. I've no more desire to blame Jay Wilson as Rob Pardo.

Wilson is leaving. Ok. Have fun with whatever you do now. Rob Pardo wants the blame to be directed at him. Ok.

D3 was an ok game. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I loathed the story that had me draw a connection to a character only for her to be, so it appeared, utterly destroyed with no hope of rescue. I soured on the game after that. I never cared for an auction house and did not use it. And while the online requirement did not affect me, I was never really comfortable with it. PvP? Eh, not really my thing when playing past Diablo game. I have not really played D3 much after I beat Diablo the first time. The itch is simply not there.

I do not know who specifically made the decisions about the game. I don't often try to get that deeply in to things. I know what games I like, what games I do not like, and what games I want to keep playing. I cannot say that any future games by a Pardo or a Wilson would be a factor in my purchasing decision. But unless there was something to entice me, an expansion for D3 or even a D4 would have me somewhat skeptical. Should I blame one person for that? Does it really matter? Blizzard made the game. That is the name I will have in mind the next time.
Reply Quote
View profile

I dont think the AHs are the problem, if they change the looting system the AHs wont be a problem, and one of the reasons the AHs were made was to provide casual players a chance to buy gear safely, because people who work all day dont have the same time to farm like a hardcore player.

hahahahahaha, grow up.

at this point with such horrible loot drops at 99.9% of the time -- the RMAH and GAH have been saving some of the player base.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid
01/21/2013 07:16 PMPosted by repeatloader
at this point with such horrible loot drops at 99.9% of the time -- the RMAH and GAH have been saving some of the player base.

Yes but thats what i said, they need to change the looting system, then the AHs wont be a problem, and you wont need to use them anymore. There are some good threads with ideas about how they can improve the looting system.
Edited by Skorge#1366 on 1/21/2013 7:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Jay Wilson
I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

01/17/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Jay Wilson
To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

You are the most passionate, dedicated group of gamers a designer could hope to have. I wish you all the best, and want to thank you for making this an amazing experience for me. Keep your axes sharp, your spell books handy, and that crafty devil in check.

--Jay

Aren't 'we' all thankful?
Reply Quote

I said for some people it is the game ... I know many people that literally log in to play the AH.... so sorry ... you are the joke ... and blizz wont anger another large section of their player base by shutting it down.

You dont have a CC to use the RMAH ? -- sorry for your bad luck

I forgot to mention -- Highly Rated means there were alot of both LIKES AND DISLIKES...
it does not mean that a majority of the players "Liked" the idea.

Wrong... Dislikes cause something to be lowly rated.

And obviously shutting down the AHs is not going to happen.... That's why i offered a better alternative.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Rob Pardo
This thread saddens me greatly.

Again, as per my previous post:

Aren't you thankful?
Reply Quote
Well, I haven't played D3 in weeks. I was just refreshing all my D2 characters to keep them alive and decided to check the forums.

My guess is that they are giving up on D3 here. They made lots of money off this game and it is a great game in the short term -- the first 2 or 3 times you go thru all 4 areas. But in the long term it has become very boring. You can't sell anything and you can't afford to buy anything that would actually improve your character. A no win situation. Such a shame! D2 was such a great game. I still play it occasionally. Perhaps the next game Bliz will be working on will be more replayable.

/cross fingers
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid
Dear ROB,
Please review the 2011 1 hour segment regarding DIablo 3.
We wer told that the mystic would be the main, item depth feature. We wer told that Gheed was a boring, trivial way to spend your hard earned gold.
We wer told that items wer rigid and that there needed to be better things to do w/ them then vendor them.
We wer told the mystic, the nephalem cube, wer going to add far more game depth.
What we got...was nothing. You removed Gheed & added nothing in his place. No mystic, no Nephalem cube, nothing.
No way to improve items, NOTHING.
-
Rob,
How could Jay tell us that instead of a rigid DIablo 2 system, we wer going to get something far better, then deliver NOTHING?
-
Rob,
My friends won't log into wow or Diablo 3, they simply won't. This has happened on your watch sir. You need to review what was PROMISED vs. what was delivered.
gl hf

Did they promise those things? i dont think so, it may have been disappointing, but theres a reason why they didnt implement those things, and im not saying they made all the right decisions.
Edited by Skorge#1366 on 1/21/2013 7:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]