Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

Hard to believe some of the posts in this thread. While I've sometimes been highly critical about D3 on my forum posts I wish you the best Jay. You've taken more abuse than anyone I can think of at the moment over a video game.

Take care.
Reply Quote
Oh wow i might go back to Diablo 3 now. Thanks gods of whichever culture that made this possible.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 12:13 PMPosted by CrazyNRG
Time to re-hire Blizzard North staff and makes this game in to the real Diablo 3 it should of been Blizzard.

eh, seeing how they went on to make crap like hellgate london and torchlight i doubt they would have done any better,, maybe if they just did a remake of d2 on this new engine but i dont think they need to hire anyone for that
Reply Quote
So what? The damage is done: My most beloved gaming franchise has become a hollow shell, a sad caricature of itself.
Jay Wilson leaving won't change that.

That said: I never harboured hatred or ill-will towards Jay or the D3 team. I think they honestly did their best and wanted the game to be awesome. Their mistake was hubris: They thought they knew better than anyone else how the game should play, and yet had no full grasp on the legacy. They also had to appease the suits, and that is what Diablo III is:

A game that had set its eyes on the glorious top, knowing of its legendary ancestry. But always hounded by managerial demands (Make it more MMO-y!) and restrictions, by Blizzard's self-image of being unable to do wrong and always delivering awesome incarnate. And by one of the most rabid and unpleasable fanbases on the planet. No wonder they said at one point "Let them blather, we do as we want", and closed their ears to any outside criticism.

All in all, I do not relish Jay's going away. I think it's just another step in D3's tragedy. I would have liked it much better if he and his team had overcome the things holding them back and realized what they had understood and done wrong.

Best wishes for your new position, Jay. And maybe a bit of humility and an open ear for good ideas from the outside.

Take a look at the other ARPGs out there. Grim Dawn. Torchlight 2. Path Of Exile. Each one can teach you valuable lesson on how to to an iso ARPG.
Edited by Muesli#2215 on 1/17/2013 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Clearly. Jay caught some nasty backlash from this PTR.

I don't want to burst your bubble but that's not necessarily the case.

In a corporate environment this happens very often. If they need someone in a different department or on a different project, they move them. Diablo 3 is already a finished product not requiring continual direction and design.

What he wrote is most likely true. He's being moved to a different project, probably with the same or similar role. Love it or hate it, "his" game, Diablo 3, was a commercial success and in a corporate environment where profit is the most important thing, he did pretty well.

Noone ever is going to admit that the reason he was moved was because of the fanbase "hating" him.

You dont leave a "new" game with this many problems and 2 more expansions still planned as game director without serious pressure for you to step down.
Edited by Gunblade#2868 on 1/17/2013 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 01:20 PMPosted by TwoCoins
Why not hire the lead designer of Torchlight 2? The design was well executed. Just imagine what he could make with all those Blizzard resources.

Because ppl who do their job right don't get bumped out of their job.
Reply Quote
too late - PoE got my money
Reply Quote
up
Reply Quote

I don't want to burst your bubble but that's not necessarily the case.

In a corporate environment this happens very often. If they need someone in a different department or on a different project, they move them. Diablo 3 is already a finished product not requiring continual direction and design.

What he wrote is most likely true. He's being moved to a different project, probably with the same or similar role. Love it or hate it, "his" game, Diablo 3, was a commercial success and in a corporate environment where profit is the most important thing, he did pretty well.

Noone ever is going to admit that the reason he was moved was because of the fanbase "hating" him.

You dont leave a "new" game with this many problems and 2 more expansions still planned as game director without serious pressure for you to step down.

Pressure from who exactly? People on forums?
Reply Quote
Good luck in the future jay! overall you gave us all a great game, some player groups just expected something else from d3, which is not expected from that kind of game, hack and slash.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 01:15 PMPosted by PeterPansen
We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

Just listen to the community a little bit.

I hate to say he would have got better a response from the community if he interacted and listened to everyone telling him the game was broke.

I'm sorry stonewalling complaints and then having the CM's go into sleep mode does not help an already upset fanbase.

A clear sign back before beta was when everyone got upset about the art direction. Then it was RMAH, then it was removing offline mode, Then it was No ladders...

So he has to take the blame..

TOO many people and sites pointed out what is wrong with the game.
I have seen great idea's from players how to make diablo turn around and be better..

Communication is the key to everything...
Reply Quote
i wonder what the game would turn into, d3engine is awesome but i hope the new director won't fall to the ground for every qq post on the forums about lowering the challenge or make it a diablo 2 clone.
Reply Quote
You won't be missed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]