Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game.
It felt more like I was playing warcraft than it felt like diablo. It was too cartoony and bright didn't have a downright scary enough feeling such as diablo 1 and 2.
Reply Quote
Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication Jay. Good luck on your next project.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

What....... really? We are supposed to feel sorry for the person that tweeted "f*** that loser" when David Brevik (Diablo 2 dev) gave his honest opinions on Diablo 3?

I tend not to feel sorry when immature pricks get treated the same way they treat others.

bump

the pay2win nature of D3 is evil - you will not be able to find anything good/enjoy the game you bought if you stayed away from RMAH

Personally, end result of playing D3 for me is learning to carefully examine the game and comtemplate about alternatives before purchasing instead of rushing to drop the $ on the game just because its by Blizzard and the 3rd generation of a great franchise
Edited by mikhailin#1258 on 1/22/2013 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Lets be honest here. Can we actually expect a game to switch hands, in its critical stages of production, and not watching it go up in smoke?
Is there actually any hope they can change this game into what most are calling out for? The style of D3 is not going to change into that of D2, the loot system will never be that of D2, dueling and pvp will never be ( at Least not for a long time) open world, much like only having 4 players per game, it isn't likely that we'll see that change for a very long time. To be honest 1.0.7 is already boring on the PTR. Now everybody will be Para 100 in no time flat and spend a month trying to get an ammy or a pair of gloves, next?!?!?
So I guess the question I am asking is, with the changes that are being demanded and the time it will take to implement them(meaning anything that is passed off as addressing our ideas ) in place and testing to make sure they work, wouldn't it be more likely to see minimal support from here on out and either a release of a completely revamped game in the form of an "expansion" or an entirely new game(meaning scrap D3, call it the Hellfire expansion to D2 and move on). They will lose a fan base, I think we could say they already have in some respects, and who knows, with the amount of time it would take to make D4 its possible we would all have forgotten or at least knocked that chip off our shoulders to get over it and try the next one. Who knows maybe I'll be totally proved wrong and an open target for trolling, but one this is for sure; the stakes are high for the next few months.
Edited by Vourak#1997 on 1/22/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Ozzmoziz
shut down both auction houses

u want it shut down? i don't want it to shut down. i think with auction house i can get at least more decent stuff and i won't get cheated by players trying to trade me their useless stuff.
Reply Quote
Rob-I can get it that drops suck and Blizzard want everyone to get their gear just from the AH. But what I can not get is why the game was dumbed and watered down to baby mode! I have seen this alot and it seems you guys are not listening. If you need the cry baby mode you have now then create a classic mode for us true Diablo gamers that is hard again. The only way I die any more is when I fall asleep playing this game. All those great elete attributes were so cool but now they mean almost nothing. High dps is all anyone looks at anymore and armor, vitality, and resistance is is just stats that doesn't mean anything anymore.
Reply Quote
In case this thread actually gets a Blue's attention since it's on the front page and stickied, ID ALL needs to happen.

And I'm fairly certain both sides of the negative vs positive argument would agree on that.

Listen to the community?
Reply Quote
Man, I know it's been rough.. Heck, you guys probly stopped reading this thread a while ago.. and to be perfectly honest, I've thrown out my fair share of harsh criticisms.
I have to tell you, not very many people have much, if any understanding about my profession.. If I had to work under the eye of public scrutiny.. explain every move I made, or why I ran every scenario the way I did.. I would be fired. I would not handle it with very much patience and grace for too long..
You guys did a hell of a job. I'm playing and love the way the game has turned out. I guess when its time to move on, its time to move on.
So thanks for the work you put in, and the way you handled this community and its criticisms. That really speaks volumes about a persons character, all the best wishes in future endeavors.
Reply Quote
Thx for the D3! Best wish!
Reply Quote
Deleted By Domination
Edited by DoMiNaTioN#1296 on 1/22/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
As for Jay I do have pity for the bloke, hes made comments that have irritated people, but you know what... We all do welcome to being human. Sadly hes just the target of this fad, instead of "Cool story bro" or "That's what she said" it's "Willsoned" sucks but it happens in a digital high school. The internet: A place where the timid become god complex steroid poppin meat heads.

The issues with this game have been touted time and time and time again. I beg you do NOT make us drag up threads from 6+ months ago as many of those outlined issues have never been mentioned. YES this game is getting a lot of post launch support which most games don't have the luxury of these day and we do notice it which is why many of us continue the "constructive" side the criticisms.

Seriously though the community wants the game to evolve beyond the child like round hole square peg deal, games with this shallow of a system do not last long, and we don't want to see it die silently either. That's what you get when you make the best PC games around, a !@#$ load of fiery followers with 6 million opinions to Sunday. Simplistic gameplay does not mean blind support from its dedicated fans, ask Square about that one.

We all see the potential this game has lurking at its gory center the real question is will you guys rip into its depths to unleash it?

This title is going to have far reaching consequences for blizzard, and it's way too early to call it either way, I'm eager to see how you guys handle this one.

Best of luck to ya blizy
Reply Quote
Bottom line D3 is a fantastic game given its own merits. I have gotten far more bang for my buck then just about any other form of entertainment in the past 10 years. That being said it is not as good as its predecessor in achieving its ultimate goal for end game players which is the item hunt.

Many people on these forums have made numerous posts about how to fix the game so i'm not going to go into a lengthly diatribe on fixes ill just say a couple of things and be done.

items:

triple the amount of legendaries and add cool abilities to make them special

make sure set items roll at least 1 needed stat

add an upgrade system to crafting so rare, magic and white items can be useful

World:

Tons of suggestions exist for more varied end game hunting

endless dungeon

add more monsters to acts 1,2, 4

skills

buff the unused skills make it a really tough choice but not just through increased damage (the recent monk changes there are hundreds of great suggestions on the monk forums)

This game has the potential to be the greatest testament to what a company can do to make things right with their customers. I hope you follow thru on your promise to make this happen.
Edited by croaker#1453 on 1/22/2013 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Good luck in the future.
Reply Quote
As for Jay I do have pity for the bloke, hes made comments that have irritated people, but you know what... We all do welcome to being human. Sadly hes just the target of this fad, instead of "Cool story bro" or "That's what she said" it's "Willsoned" sucks but it happens in a digital high school. The internet: A place where the timid become god complex steroid poppin meat heads.

The issues with this game have been touted time and time and time again. I beg you do NOT make us drag up threads from 6+ months ago as many of those outlined issues have never been mentioned. YES this game is getting a lot of post launch support which most games don't have the luxury of these day and we do notice it which is why many of us continue the "constructive" side the criticisms.

Seriously though the community wants the game to evolve beyond the child like round hole square peg deal, games with this shallow of a system do not last long, and we don't want to see it die silently either. That's what you get when you make the best PC games around, a !@#$ load of fiery followers with 6 million opinions to Sunday. Simplistic gameplay does not mean blind support from its dedicated fans, ask Square about that one.

We all see the potential this game has lurking at its gory center the real question is will you guys rip into its depths to unleash it?

This title is going to have far reaching consequences for blizzard, and it's way too early to call it either way, I'm eager to see how you guys handle this one.

Best of luck to ya blizy

Not really sure if I have seen anyone relate to their customers as poor as this guy did. You pick anyone serving at the local fastfood and they are more qualified for PR than Jay is.

You don't tell your customers they are having fun wrong.
You don't ignore their suggestions, at least pretend to give a !@#$.
You don't blatantly lie to them then cover it up with more lies.
You don't deal with criticisms with "%^-* that loser"
You don't tell customers they didn't really enjoy the previous iteration they were just delirious and/or stupid.

Seriously, if this was any other profession, even fast food, this clown would have been sacked a long time ago. I don't know what his actual project management skills are like, probably not good because D3 doesn't seem like it was managed well at all, or even knew what its target audience was.

For blizzard's sake I wouldn't just look into Jay, I would look into your HR department or whoever sees staffing of your projects, letting someone who hates the franchise manage the next installment is bad enough but letting someone into the public eye who has no self control no charisma and views their customers with disdain and makes no effort to hide it. Really poor form.

I am aware a lot of businesses look down on their customers and that is fine, lots of customers are stupid, whiny and entitled, but at least recognize they are the ones that give you money and make some effort to ensure that the customers feel like they are more than walking wallets.

I know that is what we are, but nobody wants to give money to someone that obviously despises them.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Bwahaha, what a friggin baby!
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Omegaxmen
shut down both auction houses

u want it shut down? i don't want it to shut down. i think with auction house i can get at least more decent stuff and i won't get cheated by players trying to trade me their useless stuff.

Of course you are missing the elephant in the room.

If the AH's didn't exist, you might just, y'know....find your gear by killing monsters...shock-horror.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Lacquerhead
me and my 8y old son recently downed diablo and the game is back on track ... im lovin it...

Sorry, but a recommendation by someone who lets their 8 year-old son play Diablo 3 is one to disregard for me. Your decision but I find it irresponsible, just like Blizzard to release a game concept like Diablo 3.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]