Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

01/22/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Jee
You know something is wrong when the forums are more entertaining than the game itself.

I just realized that I've become addicted to this forum. I guess that speaks volumes about me, loving a good train wreck and all that.

Anyway, I was disappointed by Diablo 3 (even though I waited to purchase it until several months after release), but I'm not seething with hatred like some of these people. It's both entertaining and sad at the same time. It's a self-feeding cauldron of wrath that I just can't seem to ignore.
Edited by Slappy#1530 on 1/22/2013 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
To be clear you have always been able to pay to win. There is TONS of sites for D2 that sells items and still is. So pretending it never existed until d3 is only denial. Good luck Jay ! Love the game ! Its always been about treasure hunting for items and pvp. Luckily there is other things you can do on top of those. Even tho pvp wasn't launched at the start its worth the wait ! Great game !
Reply Quote
I just want to say that D3 auction houses took every single exciting moment of item hunting - true meaning of Diablo franchise. So I put my collector's edition into one of my bookshelves and never played since I realized above.

D3 is a damn-fine single player game, but so terrible with multiplay functions.

As a industry person, I blamed Jay Wilson because he simply does not understand how online game is working. I am from S.Korea, where F2P is born and where Blizzard never succeeded except WOW and classic Starcraft. Korean Middle school students even understand why D3 has made gamer disappointed while Jay did not understand.

Blizzard and Blizzard Korea have disappointed Korean gamer ever since Starcraft2 WOL.

They disappointed us not just for games only, but also customer relationship/marketing/PR...everything became unlike-Blizzard before.
I hope you guys will do better with HotS in Korea.

Forget about D3. D3 does not have a single chance to resurrect in Korea I bet. Korean gamer has no mercy as you know. One single mistake takes all.
Edited by Newtype#1383 on 1/22/2013 4:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Troll Druid
01/22/2013 04:34 PMPosted by dajusta
AH truly killed Diablo and for those who still don't agree, you gotta open your eyes.

I dont agree, because the AH is not the problem, the design around it is the problem, item selling will happen anyways, they need to improve looting system, with an AH providing safe items for casual players that dont have time to farm, you think you are smart saying people need to open their eyes....
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Cramunlhão
AH truly killed Diablo and for those who still don't agree, you gotta open your eyes.

I dont agree, because the AH is not the problem, the design around it is the problem, item selling will happen anyways, they need to improve looting system, with an AH providing safe items for casual players that dont have time to farm, you think you are smart saying people need to open their eyes....

I'd say both you and them are half right.

The presence of the AH and RMAH restricts the flexibility with them being able to just add new items and content.

They have to be very careful not to step on the toes of those people who are willing to spend money. Doing things like adding more powerful gear which instantly makes the rest obsolete. Adding in new acts that drop more powerful gear, that makes previous gear worthless and obsolete.

Or possibly adding in new acts that are far more challenging that cater to those who have nearly all BiS items, while driving the rest of the people away unless they buy on the rMAH to keep up. Or they just add slightly challenging more acts that will still be a cakewalk for the elitists who are only going to complain that nothing is challenging.. who then might stop spending money.

When your bottom line is money, they will do whatever they can to protect the flow coming in. This would be appeasing those who have spent it and not making their items obsolete or worthless.

Yes the mere presence of the AH and RMAH's really painted themselves into a corner with. No mater what they do, people are going to lose big time. That's why you see them making little changes here and there and nothing too big.
Reply Quote
The question is... who will come in for Jay?

It has to be someone with the balls of steel,,, ready to make this ship turn into better waters, resisting the waves of !@#$loads he will receive on the way.

Im a little optimistic because now they are FORCED to hire someone who will lift up this mess....

fans will not buy the expansion if this xcontinues
Reply Quote
cya
Reply Quote
Blizzard scapegoat?
terrible to lose a 7 year vision

although, Cheers!
Reply Quote
Blizzard pleaseee take out the Ah and add more things to do im so bored of leveling! and its boring playing alone , so hard to meet friends no socialization, please fix this awell, hopefully the new chief listens to his customerss intstead of just looking in his own vision
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Cntrl
To be clear you have always been able to pay to win. There is TONS of sites for D2 that sells items and still is. So pretending it never existed until d3 is only denial. Good luck Jay ! Love the game ! Its always been about treasure hunting for items and pvp. Luckily there is other things you can do on top of those. Even tho pvp wasn't launched at the start its worth the wait ! Great game !

D3 is built around Pay2win, D2 was not. Sure you could buy items in D2 but it wasn't necessary because the skill system was diverse enough that medicore gear would be sufficient to make headway.

D2 had a much much larger database of items. D3 had access to all this code yet negated to use it. In D2, people built classes around items they find. In D3, there is maybe 1 or 2 items that everybody strives for.

Are you more likely to buy an elite item in D2 when there were many others that fairly easily farmed or traded for that were nearly as good? Probably not. Are you going to buy an item in D3 when its clearly a BiS item and clearly far better than the rest? Probably yes.

Hence, D3 pay2win, D2 is not.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Deadlysynz

D3 is built around Pay2win, D2 was not. Sure you could buy items in D2 but it wasn't necessary because the skill system was diverse enough that medicore gear would be sufficient to make headway.

D2 had a much much larger database of items. D3 had access to all this code yet negated to use it. In D2, people built classes around items they find. In D3, there is maybe 1 or 2 items that everybody strives for.

Are you more likely to buy an elite item in D2 when there were many others that fairly easily farmed or traded for that were nearly as good? Probably not. Are you going to buy an item in D3 when its clearly a BiS item and clearly far better than the rest? Probably yes.

D2 --yep --- everyone was running around using Enigma's they created legit... all on their own..

not one used a Duped rune -- or bought the runes from gold seller sites...

it was never pay2win ...
Reply Quote
I hope they put someone with a better view, D3 failed to reach the foot of the old Diablo II.
I hope that with the mistakes you can make a better future in the coming games.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 04:34 PMPosted by dajusta
AH has done two things - eliminated trading from the game,

Umm..what? The ah is trading...just on a larger scale.

Anyway, to add my voice. I find D3 awesome in many ways, but it falls just short of a hook. I have never really looked forward to logging in and playing as I have in a number of other games, D2 included. I need to feel like I've really gained something after playing for 2 hours, even if the gain is simple enjoyment. For me, the gains that are happening (a bit more paragon for example) are just not enough to be satisfying. The forums are littered with suggestions. Time to make them happen. Or lose yet another player to a different game.

:\
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Deadlysynz

Exactly. I played D2 for about 4 years and never once paid real money for an item. I farmed, swapped gear with friends, muled items between characters, and occasionally did trades with strangers (item for item / gold for item). I had a great time and had a Level 89 Druid Shapeshifter by the time I quit playing.

Paying money for items seemed odd to me and I never bothered with it. I just kept running games with friends and hoping for great drops while watching my level meter inch forward (and sadly occasionally backward)

Adding the RMAH really screwed the game hard for the simple reason that people could add resources to the game without playing it. This is different from the GAH, which I am a big supporter of. If I play for 2 hours, I'll end up with some combination of gold and rare gear. At the GAH I can turn these game-generated resources into other game generated resources that are better suited to my character - totally worth it to farm for 2 hours and get an upgrade. This seems fair.

I admit that over time the availability of items will drive their prices down, but this clause is itself absurd to me. People talk about "wrecking the economy" but this is just silly. The ability to use that 2Mil gold you've accumulated to buy an upgrade item for your character is a nice optional feature and a pleasant way to "reroll" your drops. People complain about having to use the AH, but I've never used the RMAH (nor paid more than 10Mil for an item on the GAH) and leveled up just fine. So that wicked helm that you're listing isn't selling for what it would have 2 months ago? NEITHER IS THE INGAME ITEM you're going to spend that income on. What else would you do with the gold that you slowly stockpile?

This contrasts sharply with the RMAH, which has turned the game into a makeshift stock market for some people, and surprisingly not drawn more attention from the SEC. It's a market with real profits that are altered every time Blizzard makes a change, meaning that Blizzard has to be extremely careful when making any change, no matter how minor. The end consequences are:
1) Obvious changes have to be considered for how they'll affect the bottom line.
2) Blizzard employees are probably legally restricted from participating in the RMAH as it would constitute insider trading, so they can't first-hand witness its effects.
3) Players can jump the game without even farming their own resources, which they do, then they complain about the way the game is built.

Don't blame the GAH, blame the RMAH. And more than that, blame the fact that they chose to release a shoddy product rather than spend another month in an open beta to get the kinks out.

BTW, if you're paying to win, you're doing it wrong. I've heard all the arguments in favor of it, but to me it's like buying a 1,000 piece puzzle that's already assembled... now what?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]