Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

The developers have enough feedback to keep them busy for the next thousand years so I don't know what more is going help. Until they fix the drops geared for the ah/rmah everything else seems kind of pointless. Endless grind of the same areas for hundreds of hours and thousands of worthless drops will not change the fundamental flaws with it.
Reply Quote
Wow.... Blizzard has really got the PvP thing down now! Pretty smart of them - just move PvP gameplay to the forums! Way to go Rob and crew. You guys have turned this forum into something that doesn't even resemble a forum. You helped draw the line in the sand with this game! For example, this is what it has boiled down to:

Pro D3 player : "Stop trolling D2 fanboy!"
Anti D3 player: "I paid 60 bucks for this piece of crap?"
Pro D3 player: "Then go back to playing D2 grandpa!"
Anti D3 player: "I think your mommy needs to change your diaper - crap is coming out of your mouth!"

Like someone mentioned a few pages back : they have enough game ideas thrown at them to keep everyone busy reading until hell freezes over! Again, regarding Jay Wilson - here's a vote from another D3 website about JW's time with D3

Jay Wilson's time as D3 Game Director...

4) Jay was terrible and harmed D3. (30%, 1,324 Votes)
6) There's no way outsiders can hold an informed opinion pro or con. (24%, 1,042 Votes)
3) Jay did a poor job. (18%, 766 Votes)
2) Jay was pretty good. (13%, 556 Votes)
5) D3 was a group project and Jay's influence was neutral. (6%, 269 Votes)
1) Jay did an awesome job. (5%, 228 Votes)
7) No opinion/don't care. (4%, 190 Votes)
Total Voters: 4,375

Some comments:

I picked “poor job.” There’s some truth to the argument that we, as outsiders, can never really know exactly who or what forces were responsible for which decisions, but I’ll paraphrase a comment that was made in the previous article.

At some point, Jay was the game director. The buck stops with him. Ultimately, if there’s a team consensus for a decision he knows is bad or if executives are pressuring him to make a decision he knows is bad, it’s his job to convince them otherwise. I realize that’s somewhat idealistic, and on a decision by decision basis, I think it’s probably completely idealistic, but over a 7 year period, the big picture is his responsibility.

If you think D3 was kind of disappointing, that’s Jay’s fault. If you think D3 was an abject failure, that’s Jay’s fault. And if you think D3 was unbelievably awesome, that’s Jay’s fault too. It’s all his fault whether he made the decision or allowed the decision to be made.

another....

The buck stops with Jay is correct.

They can fix the item system, they can’t ever fix Diablo : The Phantom Menace. This game was a complete disaster, and only made money because of the history. The total lack of atmosphere in the game, the terrible story and writing, the generic music, online only, dozens of broken/useless skills. With all its years of development it somehow managed to have less interesting zones, items and skills than D2 classic, obviously the story is like comparing steak to spam.

I have never felt gaming disappointment like it before, it left me reeling with uncertainty about my hobby as a gamer, did I seriously wait 4 years for this crap? fool me once Blizzard….

and another......

[i]I had to give it a poor job vote, technically I want to say horrible and ruined…but its hard to call a game thats average..horrible and ruined, its just not as good as it could have been. Which is really far from horrible and ruined, its the whole trying to be reasonable thing..he didn’t make it great he made it only average..so a poor job when so much of the series had so much figured out already.

AS for why say he did it..as for why blame him. He was the director..he signed off on all decisions, or chose who got to sign off on decisions. If he didn’t directly decide on a change..he chose the person who made that change and said ‘hey everything you think is good..I agree with by default’. Like it or not at the end of the day it’s him who had to say ‘yes do this’ or ‘no don’t do this’. He had to sign off and say ‘yes the RMAH is a good idea’. He had to sign off and say ‘yes no offline is a good idea’. He had to sign off and say ‘get rid of picking up runes’. He had to sign off and say ‘the only unique things about characters should be the gear picked up’.

End of the day he chose to sit there, he chose to say yes to decisions…even ones ‘handed down from on high’. He could have said ‘no I won’t do it’ and then decided to leave the company.

Above all else, remember, he got paid, he got paid big bucks, to help make Diablo III the way it is right now, weather you like it as is or not. Everything had to meet his approval.

So, it's not just this forum site that has a problem with this game. You can spend the next month, 12 hours a day, reading comments about this game on the internet and the ratio will be 7 out of 10 comments that are negative in tone regarding this game. Again, thank you Rob Pardo for keeping the Diablo franchise alive. Now, if you don't mind me, I'm going back to PvP. Deckard Cain - R.I.P. brother. Thanks for keeping it real all those years!!!!!!
Reply Quote
And to think some day d3 might be playable.........o and jay sucks
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 09:12 AMPosted by Zyron
Even if this little game was a perfect rpg,

Name one other "RPG" that doesn't have character customization. Literally none. I have 2 Level 60 wizards and in under a minute I can swap their gear and skills and suddenly they've just switched bodies! Wait, you have a Level 60 Wizard? Here, take my gear and use this skill combination and now... we've just changed bodies across accounts? Wait, I don't even know you? Let me list this gear on the AH and post my skill set on a forum, then you go buy the gear, read the thread, and... now we've just changed bodies across disconnected accounts?

I think the problem here is that we all wanted an ARPG and instead we got an Arcade game with 59 unlockable levels (I suppose you could see 60-some if you included acts, ubers, etc.).

I don't know the textbook rules for an RPG, but the fact that every individual's character is interchangeable in under a minute has to defy them pretty badly.

(btw, yes I know there are minor differences between my Paragon 0 Wizard and my Paragon 21 Wizard, namely 63 int, 42 vit, 21 dex, 21 str, and 63% MF/GF; but find me another Paragons 0 & 21 wizards and the analogy just extends there too)

TLDR: Lack of any kind of skill points or stat points has made this NOT AN RPG
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

This is how I honestly feel you can improve the game. I will try not to exaggerate or use hyperbole here.

1) Recall all units of the game and denounce it has having never been made and remake the game from scratch. We (the gamers) can wait - as long as it turns out brilliantly in the end.

2) As such the "story" in d3 would be made completely un-canon

3) Re-write the story (I can't really give any further information on this point as you are the ones who are supposed to come up with the story, but suffice it to say I was really disappointed by the one that you guys came up with for diablo 3 - how you chose to depict Tyrael, what the falling star was, killing Cain and Leah, civil war in heaven, putting man and heaven on the same level, depicting heaven as a physical place as opposed to an ethereal plane - all horrible choices IMO)

4) Use a darker, grittier type of art style. I really dislike the current watercolor-ish style and the low poly count 3d models as well! Honestly, the pre-rendered sprites of d2 were a lot more appealing.

5) Completely do away with any and every type of auction house system(s)

6) Remove secret happy cloud unicorn rainbow land. This has no place in the game, even as a secret level. The secret level could have been a lot more creative/innovative instead of just being another cow level with ridiculous art/theme. How about greed's domain? That was a fantastic opportunity for a cool secret level that you guys created for yourselves then never implemented/exploited.

7) Make unique/legendary items wholly more powerful than any other item type.

8) Make the best loot always drop only from the hardest monsters/bosses in each act.

9) Allow for extreme amount of character customization - both in appearance (not even counting equipment) AND in skills, attributes, powers, spells, etc. I'd rather have an overwhelming number of options than an underwhelming (as I currently see what you have in place for the skill system in d3) number of them.

10) Include both open-world pvp and matchmaking pvp at (re)launch. (as well as pvp in hardcore realm as an option to the individual player(s))

I realize the biggest of these suggestions is extreme (1-3), but you asked for our opinions on how you can make Diablo 3 better and I have given my honest opinions as such. The reason I post numbers 1-3 is that I was SO disappointed with the game after all I was expecting from it when it launched, that I would rather forget altogether that it even launched in it's current form.
Edited by Pham#1283 on 1/23/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Eh no point in even posting. "We listen to the community" means that Wilson calls us D2 fanbois and Pardo chimes in once every 8 months. I'm surprised Pardo or Wilson haven't locked down or deleted this thread yet. I mean 2 blue posts over the course of over 4200 posts just in this thread? That's piss poor management. GG
Edited by Blunts#1199 on 1/23/2013 12:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Respect :)
Reply Quote
Wow, so that immediately highly rated post after Rob's comments, (#2110), the one about shutting down both auction houses, has since been deleted. It didn't violate any forum rules in any way imaginable.

Real classy.
Reply Quote
Kübler-Ross model (aka DABDA) applied to Jay Wilson:
  • Denial: "Diablo 3 is a top notch product in all aspects."
  • Anger: "F**k that loser!"
  • Bargain: "We are doing our best. We will give you PVP for free."
  • Depression: "The community is so ungrateful i don't know why..."
  • Acceptance: "I am leaving Diablo 3..."

lol
Reply Quote
thnxs god Path of Exile is now live.
Reply Quote
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

I do blame you, don't worry. Yo should never have hired Jay Wilson with his game design background as lead designer and you know it. You took a risk on that one and it turned out terrible. instead of correcting that you kept flying with it like it was the best choice ever.
You should have never hired mr Wilson as lead design, hire him for the game fine, but he had no place as lead in an action rpg setting where he knows nothing about at any point since his career life. playing diablo2 in the past and becoming a game designer doesn't make you fit to design those games. And mr Wilson should have never accepted that job if he was a true game designer at heart and loved the diablo legacy.

You know what pisses me off the most? Not the game, but that there is total denial from the entire Blizzard staff about the game and how it turned out. The entire team is acting like this is the best game ever and there are some minor issues like number tweaking on mobs and skills and even when "admitting" on making a some "mistakes" you guys always contradict yourself by mentioning in that same post how awesome your game is and greatly designed...

The game is terrible, it's doing awful you sold millions and millions of copies. and there are almost no public games. I don't know anyone who even plays the game any more and there were some insane die hard fans in that group.

Does it mean it's all bad? No, I don't think so. There are good design elements in the game and some experimental that are a good attempt. Like the health globe system, there is a better way than potion chucking to play hack n slash and keep one healthy I agree. not saying this is the answer but its an experiment, have you guys even looked in to that data about how this is functioning ever? The skill system, love the idea of changing skills not locked to a single choice I made on the first few chars and have to restart to reskill. But again its not working out, get some analysts get his data cracking and go back to the drawing table. There are great concepts in diablo 3's production history to now, very little adjusted ones and on spot.

Stop pretending the blizzard community is tough love and rough justice. Get your heads out of your asses and start working on the game. Stop working and wasting time on patching fundamentally broken elements within the game. We don't care that at this point that it takes time to improve. We waited 10 years, stop wasting our time on the wrong path of patches. Go back to basics and go actually ask yourself and hey the community on what is working out, what's not and what needs to be different.

p.s. oh and I can tell you. It's NOT nephalim stacks, it's NOT skill numbers and procs, it's NOT monster levels nor is it legendary items.
Go work on the skill system, game flow and combat flow, stats and effects on items and don't make new ones. figure out why these aren't pleasing us and what functionality this element would server in the game
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
I don't get it, why is everyone giving feedback? It's not like they are going to listen anyway lol.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 02:44 PMPosted by Fusrodahh
I don't get it, why is everyone giving feedback? It's not like they are going to listen anyway lol.

^he's got a point there. My mistake, I'm sorry. You know just a 'kid' with hopes and dreams, if I let that go whats left but a bad game with no future :(
Reply Quote
Hopefully someone is keeping a copy of this thread. Posts keep vanishing despite not violating forums rules (eg #2110, shortly after Mr Pardo's post where he asked for more feedback).
Reply Quote
You're right Jay did do some good, but a game directors job isn't to do a few good things. He had a lot more responsibility than that and ultimately was the DIRECTOR. Sure he may not deserve all the hate and there are other people responsible for the over all failure, either way were all angry.

and I remember Jay wilson Trashing Diablo 2's boss runs, saying it was not how he wanted to make this game. He trashed Legendarys (had to bring them back after release). He trashed the hostility button. Basically anything that was great about D2 did not make it to D3. And who ever trashed old server UI, where you get to name your games and have up to 8 players in a game I hate you too, instead of making the graphics cartoony forcing only 4 players per server shoulda built it around something that supports 8 or more people in a game because it was fun playing with other people unlike D3 where at release of the game your goal was to not play with anyone.

Blizzard has no idea how disappointing this game really is... that's just sad, you killed diablo.

Elder scrolls Online! could be the next big thing fingers crossed. play path of exile until then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]