Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Look, you have got only 1 forum post. And "you" created this company ! :o
Edited by ocoini#2419 on 1/28/2013 4:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 09:00 AMPosted by sigi
Could it be that hardcore fans are just getting too old to spend hours on any game. And instead of figuring it out they blame it on the companies making new games? Which is worsened by their big nostalgia filter issues?

Figure out what? This game isn't even half as complex as d2. I take offense to your insults!

There is nothing to figure out, the game isn't as good as the games that preceeded it. And no, I'm not too old, no my memory isn't screwed up either. I remember a lot of fun things about Diablo 2 and they aren't present in Diablo 3. The story, the itemization and items in general, the lack of any character customization, they are somewhat here but I don't find them enjoyable at all, especially the itemization part. I'm not the only that feels that way either (obviously) and the same complaints can be found on any Diablo 3 related web-site as well as You Tube. You can rationalize all you want Vexorian, but when the "Game Director" steps down and Blizzards CCO takes the time to make a post like he did there is a huge problem indeed. Let's not pretend there isn't.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 05:29 AMPosted by vexorian
I dunno. Demons are just such a cliche now. OMG Dark Wanderer is possessed! That has become common place in anime and cartoons already.

But not when it came out.
Reply Quote
Heh.

TL;DR

"I ruined the game; I've been reassigned to mail room clerk"
"Game Director @ Blizzard on an unannounced game."

So the guy is now directing Titan or Wc4.
Reply Quote
D3 great game all around. However, Jay Wilson was not the man for the job and should probably never attempt another D3 type game, there was too many problems and even more that came with patches.
Reply Quote
i think d3 is better then d2. they improved lots of things. and the gah is the best.
best wishes
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 10:02 AMPosted by sigi
Yea right, we won't be seeing jay in the spotlight again anytime soon!
It is actually 100% confirmed that he is directing an unannounced Blizzard game.

So, tons of spotlight for him in the future.

i am not saying that's a good thing. But the theory that JW was fired or transfered to a weaker job position is not holding water.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 12:42 PMPosted by vexorian
t is actually 100% confirmed that he is directing an unannounced Blizzard game.

No confirmation whatsoever in this thread though.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 12:42 PMPosted by vexorian
Yea right, we won't be seeing jay in the spotlight again anytime soon!
It is actually 100% confirmed that he is directing an unannounced Blizzard game.

So, tons of spotlight for him in the future.

i am not saying that's a good thing. But the theory that JW was fired or transfered to a weaker job position is not holding water.

He can certainly call his own shot for his next immediate move, having come off such a huge revenue producer. Blizzard is smart though, to test him to see if he can make lightning strike twice and whether he can create another sales hit without the benefit of a legendary IP to drive sales.
Reply Quote
He can certainly call his own shot for his next immediate move, having come off such a huge revenue producer. Blizzard is smart though, to test him to see if he can make lightning strike twice and whether he can create another sales hit without the benefit of a legendary IP to drive sales.

You can put any forum member as Game Director of Warcraft IV for example and it will sell millions.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 07:02 PMPosted by BattleToad

You can put any forum member as Game Director of Warcraft IV for example and it will sell millions.

Sure if he gets a legendary IP. Some of the rumors were that it was new IP for Blizzard. They have to branch out eventually otherwise they go stale. The Warcraft setting has had years of overexposure from WoW.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 07:02 PMPosted by BattleToad

They only have so many franchises they can wreck before this millions of sales thing comes to an end.
Edited by LoTan#1928 on 1/28/2013 10:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Jay had a hand in Company of Heroes and Dawn Of War, 2 great RTS games, He would probably be great at WarCraft IV, it just looks like D3 was not the game for him. What upsets me is the fact that it took 9 months of abuse and finally him stepping down/Getting removed, For Rob Pardo to step up like a man and take the blame for the final product. Half the things that went wrong probably weren't even Jay's ideas, He had to toe the line just like everyone else. if the men upstairs wanted an RMAH then we were going to get one whether Jay wanted it or not.
Reply Quote
From my side I found you made a good job. I play this game, and only this game, since his release in may 2012. I have a girlfriend, I work and sometimes i spend some money for better equip. With the new patch 1.07 things gettin easier for guys like me, who have not that time to play (about 300 hours since release). Let them talk what they want. Most of them have no Jobs, no girlfriend and no family but much more time to think "I am the God of War". Take it easy, drink a beer or two and think, you are not alone!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]