Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

I just heard about this, the other day, and promptly reinstalled the game.

Jay, I can't believe what you did to the series. And the things you said, publicly, on Facebook of all places, unreal.

In my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree, you should have been fired completely. I, along with many other fans, waited a LONG time for this game, D3 is the most anticipated game EVER, and what you made it into is completely unacceptable. Some of it, like the RMAH, or the AH in general, I don't blame you for. A company has to make money, yes, but the mess that is the AH system, I blame on Activision.

But really, you took a brand, and made it into something that only resembles the brand. I don't feel that you should ever work on a game again, but if Blizzard trusts you as an employee, then that's up to them, not any of us.

In the end, we all know you'll never be able to direct a game ever again in your life, and maybe that's for the best.
Reply Quote
I'd also like to add, that there is no way I'll ever purchase a game from Blizzard that Jay has any say in. Either he stays in a position where he does what he's told, or I'm a sale lost.
Reply Quote
L̵ͤ̽͐O̵͙̺̭̲̦̝͒ͅÓ̹͖ͦͣ͝K̘̞͓̭̉͗̊̽ͫ ͚͈̗̒̕J̬̯̼̮̪̟̗͊ͬ̓A̪̦̰Ỹ̧̟̳̞̖̭,̥̃̒͑̾̈́̈́̆ ̭̜̪̳͕͓̓ͮ̇̿Ẏ̸̞̦͍͔ͥ̈́̈͊O͆́Ȗ̟̦̞̭̺ͩͨ̒͊R̶̯͇̘ͭͣ ̠̙̜͕̭̘̰ͥ͘Ő̯̝̤͖ͥͬ̄ͥ̎Ĺ̡̜̗͕͚͖̈͆͂̇D͊ͣ͌ͥͩ̓́ ̗͙͚̩̮͓̽̋ͪ͒͘S͚̖̤̩̖͋̾À̻̠͓̉͢Ḻ̴̲̩͕̪̙͋ͩͣ͆ͅȀ̓͑̔͋́̎R͎̮̩͑Y̢̖̦̹͍͍ͨͭ͋̌̑̉̿ͅͅ ̬̮̥̹̖̮̻́̕

srsly nao, he's not the one to be blamed -> it's Mr.Metzen; i'd ^_^/ his ^o^~ ANY day but dayum buddy - good looks ain't everything! I wonder what he and his team smoked while creating dat storyline, will ask him.

d2 1.00 was epic fail compared to the 1.13 version most players know now; give d3 couple of expansion you'll see that after few years it will be as epic as d2 was ( though things like the storyline cant be corrected in vanilla, this is what pains me most ); pvp will be fixed, item drops, etc, etc - just have patience ;)

jay, i always liked you buddy; !@#$ that loser was epic
Reply Quote
L̵ͤ̽͐O̵͙̺̭̲̦̝͒ͅÓ̹͖ͦͣ͝K̘̞͓̭̉͗̊̽ͫ ͚͈̗̒̕J̬̯̼̮̪̟̗͊ͬ̓A̪̦̰Ỹ̧̟̳̞̖̭,̥̃̒͑̾̈́̈́̆ ̭̜̪̳͕͓̓ͮ̇̿Ẏ̸̞̦͍͔ͥ̈́̈͊O͆́Ȗ̟̦̞̭̺ͩͨ̒͊R̶̯͇̘ͭͣ ̠̙̜͕̭̘̰ͥ͘Ő̯̝̤͖ͥͬ̄ͥ̎Ĺ̡̜̗͕͚͖̈͆͂̇D͊ͣ͌ͥͩ̓́ ̗͙͚̩̮͓̽̋ͪ͒͘S͚̖̤̩̖͋̾À̻̠͓̉͢Ḻ̴̲̩͕̪̙͋ͩͣ͆ͅȀ̓͑̔͋́̎R͎̮̩͑Y̢̖̦̹͍͍ͨͭ͋̌̑̉̿ͅͅ ̬̮̥̹̖̮̻́̕

srsly nao, he's not the one to be blamed -> it's Mr.Metzen; i'd ^_^/ his ^o^~ ANY day but dayum buddy - good looks ain't everything! I wonder what he and his team smoked while creating dat storyline, will ask him.

d2 1.00 was epic fail compared to the 1.13 version most players know now; give d3 couple of expansion you'll see that after few years it will be as epic as d2 was ( though things like the storyline cant be corrected in vanilla, this is what pains me most ); pvp will be fixed, item drops, etc, etc - just have patience ;)

jay, i always liked you buddy; !@#$ that loser was epic

Why should it have to be like this when they already had D2 to build on? Inventing the wheel again is pretty much a waste of time and money, not to mention fans. They had everything they needed from the very beginning. They needed "just" to improve that. They = Jay (which consequently means the entire D3 team he was in charge of).
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Buggward
I'd also like to add, that there is no way I'll ever purchase a game from Blizzard that Jay has any say in. Either he stays in a position where he does what he's told, or I'm a sale lost.

Sure you wont. The fact that you've even posting says I'm right.
Reply Quote
I know that Jay shoould not be blamed for all, because to be sincere..some things of D3 are pretty awesome, (like the grapchis and battle system),

But seriously Jay, when u saw things getting awkward, and the upper echelons at blizz started to pull the ropes in the wrong direction... you should have stepped up and said something or just resign.
Since u were the headmaster of this game and u had to do in a lot of decitions of the game, u are definitely one of the culprits.

In the end, i dont think u are a bad game director,..... but this game was definitely not for you, and u made a lot of wrong decitions.
Reply Quote
Destroys the game for 7 years, leaves in less than 1.
Reply Quote
Im so happy that this looser leaves. Maybe there is still hope that d3 will be a good game with a new expansion.

Jay Wilson you ruined the best franchise ever and therefore you will be forever remembered as a !@#$ing looser (and then you doubled it!).
Reply Quote
Im so happy that this looser leaves. Maybe there is still hope that d3 will be a good game with a new expansion.

Jay Wilson you ruined the best franchise ever and therefore you will be forever remembered as a !@#$ing looser (and then you doubled it!).

I don't think the blame can be solely on him, although a lot of the decisions based on the interviews were definately his. I can't even say it was Mike Morhaime since he was the EP of Diablo 2 and if he did have a major influence then that makes it even weirder than it is. It just weird how the entire team thought they were creating masterpiece when it turned out to be anything but that. Personally I think it's a fun game, but not one worthy of being called Diablo 3 and not something with the replayability that Diablo 2 had. Who knows, maybe that will change with time and a new director.
Edited by Vexel#1434 on 1/30/2013 5:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I know you dont care what i or many others like my self think but either way i will say how i feel.

Jay Wilson, your reply towards David Brevik statements is ignorant. Saying ".... that Looser" because David Brevik (President of Gazillion Entertainement, Creater of Diablo 1 and 2) didnt agree with the decisions that you and current blizzard entertainment made and it saddend David Brevik due to the critisizm diablo 3 is recieving by its loyal and pationate fans and you found this offensive?? and you had to reply childish? this explains everything and im glad to see you off the project.

You guys wanted to take Diablo 3 into a new direction away from the Successful Constructed foundation diablo 2 has and any RPG should have and you knew about the outrage by veterans in the beta stages of diablo 3 and you still persisted to continue your path of diablo 3. This is why i have no sympathy for you after finding out how you reply to THE FATHER OF DIABLO game.

Finding this out changed my mentality towards you and blizzard. You guys took the most successful rpg franchise and ditched it into the trash with diablo 3, Thanks i really appriciate that.

Even after being disappointed by diablo 3 i still play Classic D2 and LOD and Diablo3.

-NeLLy
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/30/2013 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
People really need to just grow up over that Brevik. Thing.

For starters, Brevik himself was a complete Jerk lashing out at competition like that. It was a jerk move. JW put a lot of work on this game and thus was offended to have that Jerk trying to boycott his creation.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 1/30/2013 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 12:37 PMPosted by NeLLy
yea jay wilson is the example of who needs to grow up (FYI)
Irrelevant.

Really, you are not Brevik and Brevik can suffer himself the super offense of being called a loser. So it is completely pointless to get offended for another person. Also Brevik was a complete Jerk and not the grown up either, so it is lame to pretend it was completely undeserved. So, really, let go.

Since people love taking that quote with zero context:
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/that-loser/

http://wac.7725.edgecastcdn.net/807725/website/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/d3crankies.jpg

We have Brevik being nasty and bashing the whole of the dev team. Chris Haga makes a facebook post about how he feels completely belittled by Brevik. JW in an attempt to make it easier says that "... loser" line. Yes, in a private facebook discussion, in an attempt to make one of his employees better.

I wonder what will happen when you make a social media comment without thinking that outsiders may be reading and they make you pay all the consequences to just that.
Edited by vexorian#1817 on 1/30/2013 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
We have Brevik being nasty and bashing the whole of the dev team.
No we don't have that. Nothing he said should really make someone feel like they've "been thrown under a bus". To sum up what he said: "D3 has problems, things were done differently than I would've done them, they will probably fix it, that just goes to show you we had a really special group of people at Blizzard North."...Throwing someone under a bus is removing a ton of features from your game before release, ignoring criticism, and then pretending that the game isn't a major disappointment.
Reply Quote
@Vexorian

Brevik is the Creater of Diablo, he deserves to be respected just for that. Blizzard 2.0 took a well constructed foundation of an RPG(D2) and disposed of it when it comes to diablo 3 because of them wanting to go in a different direction. In the early stages of Diablo 3 when beta was out, loyal diablo franchise fans were critisizing the road they took for diablo 3 and we were ignored, so all the critisizm today is justyfied simply because they knew they would enrage veterans with Diablo 3 but no they didnt want to admit to the success of brevik and the prior team, blizzard felt like who are they? we can do better? but no you dont take a well constructed foundation and dispose of it for a game where veterans of the franchise are the ones mostly looking forward to it.

anyway after 1.07, Jay wilson becomes irrelevant when it comes to diablo 3. I believe thats when his leaving the D3 dev team and moving on to another project. I guess we could even say his irrelevant now.

(@my posts = My opinions, everybody has their own and is entitled to one)
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/30/2013 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
D3 RMAH was one of the worst and most disgusting ideas in games history.
I'm psychologist and from my profession perspective it was perfect project where players were brought to the peak of frustration and were forced to pay real money or dedicate endless hours for grinding gold in very unenjoyable manner - merely to get good quality of end game hardcore content.
Crafting system was another red cloth for a bull - never seen decent craftable items.

Difficulty level of inferno champions and some normal bosses were unaccapteble in may-june 2012, it merely proved game had very poor testing in beta. Developeres almost ignored HUMAN factor , like limits of our reaction and other psychic resources when generating extremely irritating combinations of affixes for rares, totally undoable for real person playing specific class in specific situation!

No promised PvP, and finally - how can it be fun to be forced to see same story narration over and over when replaying game for farming stuff (even when skipping all videos and dialogues)? Watching same film - even if you love it - 100 times in row is one of the worst torturings ever made.

I feel happy that guy left, happy that community got some hope.
The things gamers community were observing 2012 spring and summer were merely redicilous.

Anyway such historic moment, i'm sure, will hurt his reputation and managers of serious projects friendly to human intelligence and customer needs will stay away from such people.

Amen.
Edited by Gauthur#2491 on 1/30/2013 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]