Diablo® III

Seven Years in Sanctuary

This was a done deal after launch week and good riddance. It's a cruel thing to say, but I'm glad he got fired.

I actually enjoy a lot of the game now and it looks like 1.07 will finally be the game I was hoping for. I think the game can be salvaged and will keep dropping in until it does.

However...
1) we kept getting teased with the game for over a year. Expected launch dates kept sliding. The faithful disregarded any whining in the community because we knew that it would be better to wait than to get an imperfect product...

2) And then... Error 37! Really? Really? Going to launch an always-online game and not provide enough server space? Really? I actually didn't try to log on at midnight so I missed out on this madness. Instead, I slept in, got up leisurely, met up with people and we starting hacking our way through Sanctuary. For about an hour. Then, "Down for Maintenance". For 4 Hours. On Launch Day. Then maintenance downtimes all week. Really Game Director, you didn't think it would be better to do this BEFORE LAUNCH?

And for the trolls and fanboys, don't try to claim "they couldn't predict...". The whole point of having a Game Director is to have one person who ensures success. The whole point of management, directors, leads, etc., is that somebody is thinking through every possible thing that can go wrong.

And I won't even go into the fact that the game was missing so many features at launch that were promised to players (Remember "Individual Quests for Each Class"? How about PvP?)

And for all the sympathizers out there, think about it this way: If a US Navy ship runs aground, the ship's Captain will get relieved of duty, even if it was due to negligance of the Officer of the Deck while he was himself asleep at 3am. Why? Because the man at the top is responsible for everything under his charge and must anticipate and plan around challenges - that's why he's the Captain.

It's the Game Director's JOB to think through everything that could possibly go wrong and set up contingency plans. It's his JOB to set standards and enforce them. It's his JOB to deliver everything he promised to deliver.

It's possible that Jay's a good person, but failing to do your job should get you fired.

He wasn't fired, he's just relocating......
Reply Quote
Best of luck to you in your future endeavors and thanks for your hard work and leadership on this project!
Reply Quote
At least with Titan, he can't take out features that people liked...and call it progress. Then realize he didn't know what the community wanted. I suspect he hasn't been in control for quite some time.
Reply Quote
I love the people who assume he got fired. If they were unhappy with him, he would have been actually fired or forced to resign. Neither of these happened.

Unlike everyone that posts in the forum, Blizzard actually knows how many people are playing and how much they're spending in the ah. I would guess this number is "a whole lot" and they offered him a job on an upcoming project to recreate the success of D3.
Reply Quote
View profile
jay Wilson

Veni, vidi, defeci!

hahahahaha this cracked me up! thank you!
Edited by Krystonosetz#2434 on 1/18/2013 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Though I've had issues with the game at times. I've never had to resort to hating a person. I give credit to my parents for raising me well and not succumb to the pitchfork mentality of others. Except for the slur against Brevik I think Jay did his best for this game and I wish him luck.

And to all immature haters: GROW UP.
Reply Quote
I love these people that don't understand how big business works. They won't fire him, and if they did it wouldnt be made public. If they did it would be a public admission that they got it completely wrong. Any sort of negativity that can be attached to a product is avoided at all costs. I don't think for a second he has 'been given an opportunity elsewhere', I think he has been moved away in the hopes things can be fixed moving forward to the first xpac. Because this is all about the money, and as of right now, there are a LOT of unhappy customers, that may not bother with it.
Reply Quote
I love the people who assume he got fired. If they were unhappy with him, he would have been actually fired or forced to resign. Neither of these happened.

Unlike everyone that posts in the forum, Blizzard actually knows how many people are playing and how much they're spending in the ah. I would guess this number is "a whole lot" and they offered him a job on an upcoming project to recreate the success of D3.

I hope they're not that myopic. They made a ton of money on this game and I'm sure it's still trickling in, but the amount of good will they destroyed was pretty epic. When your game has a 3.8 score on Metacritic and most of its positive critic reviews were from before launch day, you have to understand that you've done some significant damage to the franchise and the overall brand.

I'm going to keep playing this game because I paid my $60 for it, but my desire to ever purchase another Blizzard product took a serious hit, and I'll certainly never buy a product from them on launch day ever again. I'd rather be late to the party then be there on time and get pig's blood poured on my head.
Reply Quote
I just hope Blizzard doesn't do something crazy and put him in the lead role on another franchise...like Warcraft 4.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 10:53 AMPosted by VladDracul
all in 1 foul swoop.

Ha, I don't know if that was intentional but changing "fell swoop" to "foul swoop" made me LoL
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Duffman
all in 1 foul swoop.

Ha, I don't know if that was intentional but changing "fell swoop" to "foul swoop" made me LoL

Haha, it wasn't. I had a brain fart and it sounded right haha. Thanks though.
Reply Quote
Good luck Jay. I guess Titan is your new home? I envy you.

Anyway, the community is obviously blaming you personally for the failure Diablo III is not. I understand the whine about the launch, but the constant patching has made this game exactly what it needs to be. An awesome one. I dont know if people even remmeber Diablo and Diablo II, but my guess is that 80% of the whiners never even played it.

Diablo III is a better game all around.
Most people understand that you did not develop this game ALONE.

Good luck in your future endevours. I hope you will do truly well.
I'm sorry that small dumb un-employed children can make a grown man quit a project.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
01/18/2013 10:54 AMPosted by Ortz
I just hope Blizzard doesn't do something crazy and put him in the lead role on another franchise...like Warcraft 4.

There's not going to be a WC4, Warcraft's story is driven through WoW, they have SC for the RTS genre.

That's not to say they will not come up with a new RTS, which JW would probably be the LD for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]