Diablo® III

computer turning off when d3 idles in menu...

this has been happening as of late. i'll leave d3 in menu mode, go to sleep, wake up with computer turned off, needing to be turned on again. i'm not sure what causes this but back then even with d3 idled in menu this never happens.

anyone with similar situation? where can i read up on what caused the error in windows?

i tried it without d3 running and it didn't crash.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
pichapiegal,

The game is likely running your video card much harder when sitting on the menu than in the game. That in itself will make it run hotter and if your card isn't able to cool itself properly for whatever reason, it can result in the PC shutting down to prevent damage.

You can do a few things for this.

One, check to see how hot it's getting on that screen first.

Download and run HWMonitor from: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.20-setup.exe

Now start the game and let it run several minutes. Then exit or alt-tab out and see what the highest temperature is that was reached for both the gpu.

If it reached 85C or higher, I'd suspect it's an overheating problem as described above.

If you have a desktop model computer, unplug it from the AC power, open it up, and using a can of compressed air, clean out the video card's fan and heatsink assembly. That's often all it takes to restore proper cooling to it

If it's a laptop model, unplug it from the AC adapter, remove the battery, and open all the compartment doors you can to expose as much of the inside as you can. Then using a can of compressed air, carefully try to get all the accumulated dust out of it. Blow into the exhaust and intake vents as well. Run with a cooling pad beneath it while playing as well.

You can also try limiting the FPS in the in-game menu. Set the foreground to 60 and the background to 8 to start.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]