Diablo® III

James' Archon Guide: Low MP - High MP- Ubers

01/13/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Salkin
On an other note I think it's still too un-balanced for my taste to switch from LS for in some way I enjoy standing in molten stacks too much XD On the other hand I can see that LoK based Archon build requires more awareness in order to work properly which makes it more fun to use.

Very well said. I will never argue that lifesteal is amazing with Archon. It's 100% fantastic. Especially if you want to farm with your eyes closed. :)

But for me, you can get way more damage w/o a lifesteal weapon, which means more efficiency, a higher potential MP for farming, only sacrificing the occasional kite/brain activation when facing elites on MP4 and above.

01/13/2013 09:09 AMPosted by Notrius
This is the problem. I understand kiting, getting white mobs around, etc, would help but you lose the efficiency which is the main strength of archon builds. As long as they won't change the way how to keep archon up, any extra time you spend dealing with the pack can have dramatic consequences on your effectivity. It had on mine, at least.

I agree. For me, I don't get held up much on RD till MP5. But again, it's all personal preference!
Reply Quote
I like this guide alot! Specially your clever use of the sevearly underused LoK, amazing! On an other note I think it's still too un-balanced for my taste to switch from LS for in some way I enjoy standing in molten stacks too much XD On the other hand I can see that LoK based Archon build requires more awareness in order to work properly which makes it more fun to use.

For me it's still more preferable to work a well balanced Archon (for farming purpouses) which should cut down unnececcary deaths and painful affix comboes. Although living lightning offers very good archon reset it can't still compete with the excellent ww reset! I really think you should give some love to the ww-Archon XD God I miss the 7 sec sc reset...

I still use WW to reset Archon, but that's more of the perma-Archon build rather than the hybrid, though I guess it should work with both. I honestly never got why people like LL so much when you can just swap to a couple APoC pieces and use WW. If you can spam WW it's like 3.75x the proc rate of LL.

I also prefer to use a LS weapon full time. In the end it just means I farm 1 MP lower, most likely. I like the added benefit of not having to drop Archon everytime I find an elite pack or having to play carefully around certain packs, like single targetting them, both of which slows you down.
Reply Quote
Loroese it's simple, because good APoC pieces are soooo expensive.
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Notrius

Not if you just need the APoC to quick swap for CM procs. It does add another annoyance if your buff runs out multiple times per zone, but if that's the case you should probably be in a lower MP, imo. I carry a 10 APoC, 900 LoH wand with like 400 dps along with a 10 APoC OH whose stats don't matter. You can buy those for 100k or less. If Archon has more than 10-20s, I switch to them until it's refreshed, then swap back.
Reply Quote
If you have high enough as+cc, LL will reset archon in seconds too.
Reply Quote
the problem with swapping , again, is that you lose that bloodmagic buff so you have to recast it once more... there are times that you'd usually die in packs the moment you're swapping gear and rebuffing.

I carry a 10 APoC, 900 LoH wand with like 400 dps along with a 10 APoC OH whose stats don't matter

with that said, its much better to have storm crow instead, you wont lose buff when you swap that way. Also, having a decent 200+ average dmge trium with apoc will also be a good candidate
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Notrius

4.5cc% Stormcrows are going for 10m on the GAH.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 01:56 AMPosted by yems
there are times that you'd usually die in packs the moment you're swapping gear and rebuffing.

This is the danger for me. When I am group farming higher MP's, if my Archon goes down when theres a crap-ton of mobs around, I don't have time to switch to storm crow and APOC off-hand/weapon. I could possibly die.

The benefit of slightly faster cooldown isn't worth that risk for me. As long as you ahev high enough attack speed and cc, living lightning is great. If you feel comfortable swapping then that's cool too.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 09:39 AMPosted by James1v12
there are times that you'd usually die in packs the moment you're swapping gear and rebuffing.

This is the danger for me. When I am group farming higher MP's, if my Archon goes down when theres a crap-ton of mobs around, I don't have time to switch to storm crow and APOC off-hand/weapon. I could possibly die.

The benefit of slightly faster cooldown isn't worth that risk for me. As long as you ahev high enough attack speed and cc, living lightning is great. If you feel comfortable swapping then that's cool too.

Yep, I agree. Both have their pros and cons. I just prefer WW, while others prefer LL. Both work well and I'm just seconding and advocating the idea of trying WW and letting people decide which they want to use.

Also, I only solo farm at low MP as Archon, so I don't usually have that issue of Archon falling off in the middle of a group, aside from elites. It's usually the buff falling off that kills me and not the gear swapping if I die, but I've been doing it for a while so it might take a little getting used to. I can see how at higher MP it might not be worth the hassle. Then again, if you're gear swapping for LS against reflect, it's pretty much the same thing.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 05:59 AMPosted by sabrewulf

I bought mine for 5 :)

But i don't use it for archon, it's a significant dps/eph downgrade.
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Notrius

I bought mine for 5 :)

But i don't use it for archon, it's a significant dps/eph downgrade.

The EHP downgrade I'm not so sure about but for the dps downgrade, don't forget the fireball proc and bonus damage vs elites. It ends up averaging out against those kind of Andy's Visage. For me I gain EHP over a 66 resist visage with a generic 380 armor, 90 str, 90 vit SC, and I'll gain dps against elites with 5% crit and a 3% vs elites roll, or 4.5% CC and 4% vs elites. Too bad I still want to use my lame MF hat to cap MF while leveling. But when I gain enough levels, I'll probably swap to SC.
Reply Quote
6cc sc are still overpriced :(

why are people so eager to overprice 0.5 cc ?
Reply Quote
6cc sc are still overpriced :(

why are people so eager to overprice 0.5 cc ?

Because they can. There's just not enough of them to warrent a lower price, I imagine.
Reply Quote
It's also because any solid mempo is 500+. That's why i'm stuck with Andys, only cc mempo is an upgrade for me.
Reply Quote
I am seriously considering switching to a Stormcrow over Andys, 8% with 4.5-5cc and 4%dmg to elite will be a dps and ehp upgrade for me i think
Reply Quote
Seems like u shown everything in the world except facing RD elites which is probably the only thing archon is weak against. You'll melt against any elites on mp7 with just blood magic. Not to say RD with minions or RD with health link.
Reply Quote
James’ Archon Specs with Video Guide - EDITED 1/13/2013

Contrary to popular belief, a lifesteal weapon is not required to run archon. Life-on-kill is a fantastic stat for wizards, and I get 2700 from my amulet. .

do you have a problem withy dying because you have no LOK?

James’ Archon Specs with Video Guide - EDITED 1/13/2013

. Cold Blooded is amazing = but also beneficial if you use the scoundrel with a Buriza.

Q fell like a noob, or something isnt clicking, confused on cold blooded merc has buriza but i dont see a dif in DPS change. ( i understand how cold% dmg boost DPS, but am i missing something ) hope that makes sense. thanks
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Christinac6
do you have a problem withy dying because you have no LOK?

I just upgraded my amulet, so I no longer have the 2700 life-on-kill stat. I gave it up because I have 540K DPS, and 1.5% lifesteal is enough for me. However, most Archon users don't have that much DPS, therfore 1.5% isn't enough healing, so I would definitely recommend life-on-kill.

01/30/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Christinac6
confused on cold blooded merc has buriza but i dont see a dif in DPS change

I don't have a great answer for you here, but I'm 90% sure if the scoundrel chills an enemy with buriza and you are running cold-blooded, you will get a boost. You probably can't see the obvious DPS change, but its there.
Reply Quote
In my opinion, LL is way too slow for refreshing archon.
I run 1.97APS with a APoC triumvirate, and in groups on 3-4 mobs archon refreshes in around 4-6 seconds when using WW. I've tried this build (seen in my profile) in mp7-10 keyruns and ubers, seems pretty survivable so far.

I also run 4%LS, which barely overcomes RD ;(
I think that dropping LS from your weap is not quite the way to go....even in 1.0.7.
I mean, 1.5 LS at 500k DPS probably works out fine, but below that DPS archons should still have at least the base 2.5LS from weap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]