Diablo® III

BOA Gear is Wrong Direction

Sorry Blizzard, however BOA gear is going in the wrong direction for a Diablo game. The foundation of this game is loot and the ability to trade the loot for even better items.

Your focus on BOA gear is in the complete wrong direction for this game. I won't sit here and bash you for it, but simply share that this is yet another mistake you are making with Diablo 3.

Several of the other enhancements in the patch are nice, however unless there is something huge you have not shared, I just don't see 1.07 saving this game.

Hope I am wrong, but experience says I am correct.
I disagree.

I think the auction house has become a monster that cannot be stopped, except by this. BoA is essentially just BoP gear and I'm fine with either.

Not to mention, there won't be THAT many BoA pieces...
Edited by Semune#1973 on 1/11/2013 8:45 PM PST
It really depends on the cost and viability of BOA gear. It's definitely a step in the right direction if it is a viable alternative to the AH.
Its the lesser of two evils and i think most people would agree that being able to find/craft your own gear is so much more rewarding than playing the AH or investing money into the rmah. isnt that half of what an rpg is about? the other half is character building but lets not open that can of worms.
BoA gear will eventually drive down the the prices of all the items listed on AH. However, just like hellfire ring didn't kill rare rings on AH, other BOA gear won't kill AH either. They co-exist and provide more options, which is a good thing.
Yeah. The AH pretty much negates every crafting change, unless the crafts are BoA.

I mean, sure, 10 people craft some bad !@# gear in 1.07, but without BoA, it's all flooding the AH in a matter of days. Then everyone's once again saying, "Crafting sucks!"

Of course, it's not a pretty solution, but it'll do.
This isn't WoW there really is no place for BoA gear in this game I have to agree. Best part about diablo as a series is the loot and trading of all loot in the game. I hate WoW if this game get to be like WoW and BoA just ruins it for a lot of players.
01/11/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Abomb247
This isn't WoW there really is no place for BoA gear in this game I have to agree. Best part about diablo as a series is the loot and trading of all loot in the game. I hate WoW if this game get to be like WoW and BoA just ruins it for a lot of players.

Newsflash.. most people want the AH not to be mandatory to get the best items.
01/11/2013 08:46 PMPosted by Lorenze
Its the lesser of two evils and i think most people would agree that being able to find/craft your own gear is so much more rewarding than playing the AH or investing money into the rmah. isnt that half of what an rpg is about? the other half is character building but lets not open that can of worms.

This made me lol
I actually heavily disagree here.

I have always felt that the best rewards should be bound to your character. This helps alleviate the feeling of needing to gear up on the Auction House, while at the same time allowing you to not have to increase the base drop rates of everything in order to compensate for those who wish not to use it.

BoA gear was needed since Day 1 IMHO.

Besides, the BoA gear is all crafted. You're not going to fill your bags with it unless you wish to.
I am really fine with this. Crafting BoA gear is not going to really affect the AH all that much. The demand for certain Set Pieces (Zuni Boots and IK Chest Pieces for example) will still be really high.
I actually heavily disagree here.

I have always felt that the best rewards should be bound to your character. This helps alleviate the feeling of needing to gear up on the Auction House, while at the same time allowing you to not have to increase the base drop rates of everything in order to compensate for those who wish not to use it.

Besides, the BoA gear is all crafted. You're not going to fill your bags with it unless you wish to.

+1, pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only people not benefiting here are the people that depend on the AH to make their billions of gold.
The only problem I have with this!!!

Seeing Bound on Account on different pieces of my gear will look tacky.

OCD
The only problem I have with this!!!

Seeing Bound on Account on different pieces of my gear will look tacky.

OCD

Ha! And I see it in the complete opposite way.
I agree completely with the OP. BoA gear belongs in Wow or an MMO, not in diablo. If I find something awesome and wanna share it with a friend or trade it for something better I should be able to. This is BS. DON'T LET THIS GO LIVE, WE HAVE TIME TO STOP THIS DURING THE PTR!!

also

BoA gear Destroys the Item Hunt.

After the legendary buff, several rares aren't even worth picking up, why pick up a rare chest when all set chests are going to automatically roll better for cheap?

Its clear they intend BoA gear to be BiS. All this does is make more things that drop undesirable.

As it stands when I kill stuff and play the diablo lottery I only pick up Legendaries, shoulders, gloves, 1-hands and jewelry. This change will make the item hunt even less fun.

You will search for crafting mats, thats it. LAME. Don't let this crap go live, srsly!

and..

All BoA does it make you farm more, for example:

You spend an hour farming and find 5 Awesome rares, 1 is an upgrade the rest are upgrades for others. You can sell the 4 extra and get yourself another upgrade!

You spend an hour farming for crafting mats, you get one upgrade, and the rest is garbage, a complete waste of your time and money. Also at the same time, there is no reason to pick up rares for these slots because people will just be upgrading the BoA they have in those slots, thus making the item hunt boring.

Hope I helped explain it to all the anti-AH casual's who thing its gonna be an easy welfare mode handout.
Edited by Blaao#1475 on 1/12/2013 9:08 AM PST
01/11/2013 09:16 PMPosted by Blaao
I agree completely with the OP. BoA gear belongs in Wow or an MMO, not in diablo. If I find something awesome and wanna share it with a friend or trade it for something better I should be able to. This is BS. DON'T LET THIS GO LIVE, WE HAVE TIME TO STOP THIS DURING THE PTR!!

No. 80%+ of the people that play this game are casual, since it's not really a "play for 100 hours a week" type of game. And this is a great change for people like us. Because we don't have the time to sit at the AH all the time.
I agree that BoA has the wrong feel, but this probably wont change much at all. The AH is so saturated with items now that even the improved crafting is going to take forever for BoA's on people to surpass the average gear in the AH, let alone godly.

While I see the change as mostly harmless, with some good and bad sides, I fear the effect will be negative on the community. Blizzard is obviously throwing a bone to loud minority of anit AH people here. When those people see that the BoA is not effecting the AH they will cry as loud as ever.

The people that find BoA to be distasteful will be annoyed that more is entering the game, even if the amount of BoA gear on our collective characters remains small.

I hate to have a negative outlook on a change that I do not think matters much. Its just that every change with a clear goal of pacifying complaints, instead of just improving the game, has seemed to backfire and cause more complaints.

Of course, if the crafting is super cheap, and has low material requirements we could all be walking around in all BoA gear. I am going on the assumption that it will be at least as costly as current crafting.
While I see the change as mostly harmless, with some good and bad sides, I fear the effect will be negative on the community. Blizzard is obviously throwing a bone to loud minority of anit AH people here. When those people see that the BoA is not effecting the AH they will cry as loud as ever.

I would hardly call this a loud minority.

Many of the people I personally knew quit this game BECAUSE of the Auction House feeling like a mandate.

There was no point to farming anything, because the whole game was about gold to them.

I doubt they'll come back to D3 with this patch, but I would hope that less players would leave for this reason.

Trust me, it is NOT a minority.

01/11/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Intoxicus

That's just silly imho.

They're approaching it the right way at least.
It feels like they're testing the water with 1.07 in general.

Why is it silly?

If the best gear was found by completing more challenging content, maybe less people would have felt the need to bot in the first place and wouldn't have flooded the economy like it is now.

I think if there was BoA gear from day 1, we wouldn't have as many economy related issues like we have now.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 1/11/2013 9:25 PM PST
01/11/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Abomb247

Diablo 3 will have both options. Essentially, the AH is just a natural economic evolution of Trade. While it achieves the same thing, many people prefer to go to a Mom and Pop store instead of shopping at Wal-Mart. The AH has become a monster with Diablo 3's huge player base. Having viable alternatives will only make the game better. I believe it is BoA and regular items can co-exist in this game just fine.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]