Diablo® III

Fixit #3 - BoA Tradable Upgradable Scrolls Proposal

Blizzard,

I have an idea for how you can make the most of these BoA Scrolls you'll be introducing. It's not quite exactly my idea, since I'm borrowing some of the mechanics from other... ARPG's around at the moment, but here goes:

1) Make the scrolls tradable

You'll see why shortly.

2) Make the initial stat semi-random

So, when a scroll drops (say, for the Chest piece for example), it might be a Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence attribute scroll (along with the other 5 random suffixes).

3) Make the scroll upgradable

Upgrading the scroll (for a suitable price), would "re-roll" one of the 5 random suffixes. While you couldn't select what a particular suffix would re-roll as, you could select which suffix is re-rolled.

This process could be repeated, and applied to say, 4 out of the 5, random suffixes.

The Result

A vibrant market forms in the trade of scrolls, not only for their base stats but for those with desired secondary stats. For example:

I get a Shoulder Scroll off a boss on my Barb. It rolls as follows:

+200-300 Intelligence
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>

The important note here is that the <random suffix> results wouldn't be decided until the scroll had been consumed by teaching it to the Blacksmith and an actual item crafted. Thus, as it stood there, you'd always craft a Shoulder item with Intelligence and five other random stats.

Note also, it means that suffix is no longer random. If I re-roll that particular suffix it would select some other attribute and not revert to <random suffix> ever again.

Note also, the suffix still has a range of potential values on crafting, so a degree of randomness is retained, even for re-rolled suffixes.

Now, I trade it, either directly with some Wizard or Witch Doctor, for a Strength based Shoulder scroll they got, or though the Auction House.

I take my new scroll, and upgrade (again, for a sufficiently expensive price) the first (random) stat. After the re-roll on my scroll it now looks like:

+200-300 Strength
+4-7 yards to pickup radius
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>

If I were to teach my blacksmith this scroll now, then I would always craft a Shoulder item with somewhere between 200 and 300 strength, 4-7 years of pickup radius, and 4 completely random stats.

However, I decide that pickup radius isn't needed - though not completely useless, so I decide (for once again a suitable expensive price) to try my luck re-rolling the next random stat, and I get:

+200-300 Strength
+20-60 Critical Damage
<random suffix>
<random suffix>
<random suffix>

So, if I were to teach my smither the scroll now, I'd know I'd get a Shoulder item with base strength, pick up radius and crit damage. Let's say I re-roll it two more times and end up with:

+200-300 Strength
+20-60 Critical Damage
+40-80 Dexterity
+20-60 All Resistances
<random suffix>

Reminder Notes

* The final suffix could never be re-rolled, and would always remain random upon crafting.

* Outside of the final suffix (and the base stat) the other suffixes could be re-roll indefinitely.

* Re-rolling a suffix would be very expensive, both in gold and Demonic Essences. To make a scroll with good random suffixes should take a very long time.

* Scrolls would always be available for trade.

* The items a scroll makes would remain BoA, and the scroll would of course be consumed if taught to the Blacksmith.

This sort of end-game item hunting and crafting is I think something Diablo III really needs and currently lacks.
Edited by Hawkeye#1335 on 1/19/2013 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
If the quest is not able to become repetitive, I might agree with this idea..

But Diablo or any other games system nowadays wouldn't consider soemthing called "Random Objectives"

You get into a new game everytime, you are expected to find a random quest for continue the same sort of goal/award.

Random quest means you dont do 1 thing repetitive (such as the hellfire ring craft) / slaying elites non stop, etc...

Random quest means you have to for example, explore an area and locate an "unknown" item or slay an "unknown" monster to complete this type of quest

or even get an "unknown" ingredient, so on and so forth for the final reward..

of course above are just examples, but random quests are needed to totally eliminate BOTs of getting benefits at all. because I believe there will be no programming able to forecast what a random quest to generate and then fulfill it.

But too bad, I dont think Blizzard will be the first to do this thing.
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 04:34 PMPosted by WingShing
If the quest is not able to become repetitive, I might agree with this idea..

To be sure, the system would need to be carefully calibrated, to ensure that selecting a <random suffix> stat on the scroll and re-rolling it into some random - but specific - stat would need to be so expensive that people wouldn't just have a scroll with 5 out of 6 perfectly selected stats a day after 1.07 hits.

However, I believe, if done right, this system would be much more rewarding, and allow for a much longer profession path than have a scroll drop with say base strength, and then having to craft hundreds of shoulder items in the hope of hitting the Diablo-lottery in what it rolls.

If the system ends up like that, then I suspect most people aren't going to bother with it, because an expensively crafted item with 5 out of the 6 stats being completely random, would make crafting a decent item vastly more difficult than it already is to craft a decent Hellfire ring. (after 14 Hellfire rings, I gave up trying to make a good one).

In short, I reckon people will simply give up on the system, if they can't, through some predictable, but expensive and time consuming process, shorten the odds in their favour.

Plus, it makes for a whole new trade market in scrolls as well.
Edited by Hawkeye#1335 on 1/12/2013 4:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]