Diablo® III

[GUIDE] Bola Shot Gameplay + Build

Merry, happy, wonderful year of new things and maybe presents! I'm back with another guide! If you missed my last guide for a Weapon Throw Barbarian, you can find it here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415153508

This next guide is the surprisingly tanky Bola Shot build. It mitigates the delay of Bola Shot and Spike Trap by emphasizing survivability in the higher MP levels. Vault with Trail of Cinders and Smoke Screen with Choking Gas offer mobility/survivability while providing additional damage and healing with LoH and/or LS.

Feedback and/or criticism is welcomed and appreciated :D

-----GAMEPLAY PREVIEW
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfK9CWR0Ks

-----BOLA SHOT BUILD GUIDE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ELngcF_3s

Build Calculator - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQhVdX!def!acbbcc

2H LS Manticore - http://d3up.com/b/198567
1H LoH Dawn - http://d3up.com/b/235936

You can find my channel at www.youtube.com/ProzaicMuze
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 2/4/2013 2:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
eventually this build should ditch preparation for marked for death (valley of death) placed right in front of you for 12% AoE maximization

use of the bat to retain maximum echo/scatter will be superior to the boar

shuriken cloud is also decent when you pre-cast gloom to give it 15% leech the whole 2 min duration provided DPS is a larger focus, the sCloud % with multiple mobs around you and 15% leech can provide a ton of regen

echos allow discipline conservation by allowing you to place 1-2 in the final second of gloom, they retain the 15% leech for all 3 blasts even when gloom wears off, allowing you to pad another 3 seconds before gloom recasting if discipline starvation is probable during the fight
Edited by zoid#1554 on 1/4/2013 9:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

shuriken cloud is also decent when you pre-cast gloom to give it 15% leech the whole 2 min duration provided DPS is a larger focus, the sCloud % with multiple mobs around you and 15% leech can provide a ton of regen

Whoa neat, I learned something new today.
Reply Quote
Thanks, while I don't seem to have yet the defensive stats for this, it was still great learning. I must say the video guide was one of the best I've seen in the detail you discuss each rune, their pros and cons, and linkage to proc rates. As i gradually replace my monk hand-me-downs and increase all-resist, I will try this, at least for a fun change

And @zoid, thanks also for the detailed comments that have helped me learn more about the DH. I am only returning to the DH recently so have forgotten most of the skills
Reply Quote
if u use bola shot with bitter pill rune and run nightstalker passive u can permagloom with some disc to spare. the aoe blast procs nightstalker really well but with bitter pill u can have infinite disc attacking that last golden monster.
Reply Quote
Post by zoid

eventually this build should ditch preparation for marked for death (valley of death) placed right in front of you for 12% AoE maximization

use of the bat to retain maximum echo/scatter will be superior to the boar

echos allow discipline conservation by allowing you to place 1-2 in the final second of gloom, they retain the 15% leech for all 3 blasts even when gloom wears off, allowing you to pad another 3 seconds before gloom recasting if discipline starvation is probable during the fight

I specifically didn't mention this setup as I'll be covering it in the Melee Tank Demon Hunter guide I mentioned in the video. Echoing Blast, Shuriken Cloud and Chains of Torment with Valley of Death and Gloom snapshots is very powerful. I'm glad you pointed this out, though, for others who are interested in this :D

Edit: Evil forum removed your name from the quote :*(

01/05/2013 08:28 AMPosted by crushkyle
Thanks, while I don't seem to have yet the defensive stats for this, it was still great learning. I must say the video guide was one of the best I've seen in the detail you discuss each rune, their pros and cons, and linkage to proc rates.

Thanks for the feedback, I was honestly concerned the length of the guides would be a problem when I first made the Weapon Throw guide. Glad to know that's not the case.

01/05/2013 01:53 PMPosted by Pacisfister
if u use bola shot with bitter pill rune and run nightstalker passive u can permagloom with some disc to spare. the aoe blast procs nightstalker really well but with bitter pill u can have infinite disc attacking that last golden monster.

I mention the Bitter Pill/Nightstalker synergy in the guide, but I didn't include Gloom for the reason mention above. There are so many good options for tanking as a DH right now that I broke it down into two categories for guides: Bola Shot with mobile gameplay and Grenades/Sentry with stationary gameplay.
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 1/5/2013 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just posted the guide for a Hand of Ytar Monk:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582669
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
This playstyle seems really, really suboptimal and dull to me. If you were just going to stand and facetank stuff, why not roll a Barbarian and do it far, far better, with 30% passive damage reduction, getting armour instead of dodge for your primary stat?
Reply Quote
All dh face tank at some point vs elites. Unless there some glass cannon that kitings like crazy.

I watched the vid and a calamity is better for this build type even for One that doesn't have a socket.. Better regen for both pools and nightstalker is your best friend. I did mp10 run today for the first time in the build and ghom enraged kill everyone one but me as I was sitting in like 10+ gas clouds my computer went down to 20FPS. Also granted me a better hellfire ring which I now wear. Even if I had the best manticore in the world I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to kill ghom unless of I had leg nats that would be a different story I think.

I use mortal enemy as it supplies hatred way better than a bat and frees up a spot. I think thunderball or bitter pill is the way to go and echo blast ftw. Also use custom engineering, laying down 6 traps melts things away.
Edited by DaRkCroNo#1494 on 1/17/2013 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 11:27 AMPosted by Stark
This playstyle seems really, really suboptimal and dull to me. If you were just going to stand and facetank stuff, why not roll a Barbarian and do it far, far better, with 30% passive damage reduction, getting armour instead of dodge for your primary stat?

"Far, far better" seems a bit inaccurate to me. Would you be tankier? Sure! Would you be faster? Debatable.

As far as being dull, that's a perfectly valid opinion. There are plenty of people who are going to hate some of the builds I'll being displaying and just as many people who will love them. I'm all about showing a variety of ways to play each class that might have been overlooked in favor of stale cookies. It's up to you to decide which method suits you :)

I watched the vid and a calamity is better for this build type even for One that doesn't have a socket.. Better regen for both pools and nightstalker is your best friend. I did mp10 run today for the first time in the build and ghom enraged kill everyone one but me as I was sitting in like 10+ gas clouds my computer went down to 20FPS. Also granted me a better hellfire ring which I now wear. Even if I had the best manticore in the world I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to kill ghom unless of I had leg nats that would be a different story I think.

I use mortal enemy as it supplies hatred way better than a bat and frees up a spot. I think thunderball or bitter pill is the way to go and echo blast ftw. Also use custom engineering, laying down 6 traps melts things away.

This is definitely a viable option, but several of the parts you mentioned here overlap with other builds I'm making (Caltrops/Marked for Death in one build, Gloom tanking in another) as mentioned earlier.

I'm assuming the build on your profile for your DH right now is what you're referring to:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WXRgYQ!XeU!ZYYYca

Just so other folks can check it out if they're interested :)
Reply Quote
Yep, that's my current build. I like it because you really have 1 spot free for passives or skills. Instead of caltrops you can use another skill or let's say bat companion for more hatred regen. Or if you like caltraps you can change marked for death for something else like fan of knives paired with the passive numbing traps

And for the 3rd passive(custom engineering) is interchangeable for perfectionist, cull of the weak, numbing traps, tactical or even steady aim for some good sheet dps lol.
Edited by DaRkCroNo#1494 on 1/18/2013 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

Whoa neat, I learned something new today.

Yeah thanks. I started using Shuriken Cloud yesterday and I like it a lot. It really helps clear out trash even more quickly when I vault into packs and lay traps and it does a nice job of clearing trash that gets on me while I am focus firing elites.
Reply Quote
Yep, that's my current build. I like it because you really have 1 spot free for passives or skills. Instead of caltrops you can use another skill or let's say bat companion for more hatred regen. Or if you like caltraps you can change marked for death for something else like fan of knives paired with the passive numbing traps

And for the 3rd passive(custom engineering) is interchangeable for perfectionist, cull of the weak, numbing traps, tactical or even steady aim for some good sheet dps lol.

Just gave it a whirl with my 1H and it was pretty nifty! It was a tad awkward, though, because my gear lacks the extra max discipline to make use of Night Stalker, but I was still able to slay teh evils.
Reply Quote
I posted up about this and or using stun grenades for a face-tank spec about a month or two ago! Still, yes, I agree. You don't need Shuriken cloud if you're using a high APS weapon like Calamity, even without a socket.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've been using this and most of my other builds I'm covering for quite a while as well. I streamed them at one point, but I'm only now getting around to making something informative.

I'm lazy I guess :*(
Reply Quote
Also RE: Shuriken Cloud: They're changing snapshot for Sweeping Wind Cyclone for Monks, does that mean we're affected also? I may go test it on the PTR since snapshot has been fixed there.
Reply Quote
From my initial impressions on PTR, it looks like the snapshot for lifesteal using Shuriken Cloud has NOT been fixed, at least on the PTR. This is also a VERY difficult thing to see, however, since it is not showing the actual healing numbers, i just ran around with SC on and started running through mobs on MP0... hp went down quickly went back up. It must be working
Reply Quote
My understanding is that snapshotting was removed for Monks but not for DH (which is kinda silly). The easiest way to test this is by using Gloom with Strafe. The difference is night and day.
Reply Quote
So in my guide, I stated that you lose bolas when the target they are attached to dies before they detonate. Someone sent me a message saying they ALL explode on the PTR when the target dies letting you skip the delay entirely.

I've been recording short clips and scrubbing them to check the numbers on death, but I'm not quite sure if this is accurate. Can anyone else confirm/deny this? Would be a good thing for me to update the guide with it true :D
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 2/15/2013 8:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just to follow up, I've confirmed (at least for 1.0.7) that you don't lose any damage from stacking bolas.

Visual confirmation can be found here:
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4m5KNyBCxc#t=1m3s
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]