Diablo® III

How far did you get without using the RMAH?

Disclaimer: Not an anti-RMAH thread.

Upgrades are getting borderline unattainable for me on the GAH so I'm curious to see how far some of you have gotten without using the RMAH?
Reply Quote
As far as I am now, with somewhere slightly north of 500m in my character, but feeling like I'm going to crack any day now. I've only even made it this far due to two very lucky drops and selling uber carries. I don't have nearly the playtime nor elite kills as most around here, though, so I probably shouldn't be complaining. (I'm not even paragon 50 yet)
Reply Quote
got to the start of 1.4, right before WW build started blowing up. My barb was stuck at 60k hp, 1000 AR, 10k damage, old old sword and board build. LOL. I just read about this "new" awesome double tornado build, i sold all of my gear but only had like $500k, so i purchased $10m (a lot back then, IK Armor was about 175m for the lowest rolls). And got my barb up to 55k damage, 50k health 600 AR.
Reply Quote
I was sorta at that point at the start of 1.03...I sat in front of the auction house for 2 hours a day every day for 2 weeks to raise 150M (back when it was really worth something)...looking back I'd probably have been a lot less grumpier if I just bought that amount of gold instead. I don't blame anyone for using RMAH or buying gold. Every method of making the amount of gold needed for high-tier gear in this "game" requires you to do something very much akin to working anyways.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 1/10/2013 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've made it to today without the rmah and will make it to tomorrow and the next. My gear isn't top tier but it's decent and I've spent almost a billion gold n it. Just gotta keep being persistent.
Reply Quote
I quit and sold all of my gear for a couple hundred million when gold was like $1.50/1mil. Then when I came back it was about $0.30/1mil. I sent most of the money to my PayPal and kept it, but I left $40, which I used to buy about 120 million to gear back up.

So I can't really say that I used the RMAH with $ acquired outside of the game... until I got a $20 b.net bucks card as a gift from my brother for Christmas.
Reply Quote
I've never touched the RMAH, but I probably should. There's money to be made there. :)
Reply Quote
I was lucky and found a good LS Skorn early in my D3 career and sold it for abut 400 mil so have not needed the RMAH however I have had the exact same gear for about 1 month now. Not sure how I am ever going to UG though because everything now for me is too damn expensive. I only have about 50 mil in the bank atm and the legendaries that drop for me are garbage.
Reply Quote
I never bought anything off the rmah and got to plvl 92 but obviously used it to sell off my gear once i realized (too late) playing this game was the equivalent of being slowly skinned alive.
Reply Quote
Whats the RMAH again?
Reply Quote
My friend you don't need the rmah to advance in this game. There's other ways to make gold.

Have you tried running your own uber service? If u can't do it by yourself partner up with someone.

AH flipping. Echoing Fury trade is the big seller at the moment. Even certain rings and amulets sell for a good price.

Good old fashion farming works too. I can usually make 200k+ gold in a 10 minute run and that's not including all the rejected rares I pick up.

Ultimately it's your choice if u want to invest more money for a game you already paid for. IMHO all u have to do is put in time and everything should eventually become available to you.
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 12:21 PMPosted by RagingKoala
Whats the RMAH again?

real money auction house

started using the rmah about 3 months ago. before i could only do mp5.
now i can do mp10. so.... i spent a lot but it makes the game more enjoyable.
Edited by MiSo#1464 on 1/10/2013 12:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
My friend you don't need the rmah to advance in this game. There's other ways to make gold.

Have you tried running your own uber service? If u can't do it by yourself partner up with someone.

AH flipping. Echoing Fury trade is the big seller at the moment. Even certain rings and amulets sell for a good price.

Good old fashion farming works too. I can usually make 200k+ gold in a 10 minute run and that's not including all the rejected rares I pick up.

Ultimately it's your choice if u want to invest more money for a game you already paid for. IMHO all u have to do is put in time and everything should eventually become available to you.

But how much sense do these options make?

Uber carries net me the equivalent of around $1.25/hr at the current rate of gold from spammers. I could make over 5x that working for the same period of time at McDonalds in most states. Still, it's probably the most fun option.

AH flipping...been there, done that, I'm sure most people active here have and most probably still do. No doubt the most profitable method, if not the one that'd be most likely to make me gouge my eyes out. I think most cubicle jobs are more entertaining than this. There's very little that's more mundane than constantly searching for some specific type of item ad nauseum. Not to mention the frustration that comes with failing to snipe a massively underpriced one.

And the final most obvious option, your usual farming, attempting to maximize xp/min. I can't comprehend how people can stand doing alkaizer runs for hours a day, every day, for months. It's no surprise people like Lorenze got hopelessly burnt out. They'd practically have to be machines not to.

If you look at it objectively, using real money to buy gold and/or items makes more sense than any approach of "playing" the game once you get to the point where most upgrades start costing upwards of nine figures, which is unsurprisingly where most people quit, or, use real money to get the upgrades they want, and then quit promptly afterwards.
Reply Quote

But how much sense do these options make?

Uber carries net me the equivalent of around $1.25/hr at the current rate of gold from spammers. I could make over 5x that working for the same period of time at McDonalds in most states. Still, it's probably the most fun option.

AH flipping...been there, done that, I'm sure most people active here have and most probably still do. No doubt the most profitable method, if not the one that'd be most likely to make me gouge my eyes out. I think most cubicle jobs are more entertaining than this. There's very little that's more mundane than constantly searching for some specific type of item ad nauseum. Not to mention the frustration that comes with failing to snipe a massively underpriced one.

And the final most obvious option, your usual farming, attempting to maximize xp/min. I can't comprehend how people can stand doing alkaizer runs for hours a day, every day, for months. It's no surprise people like Lorenze got hopelessly burnt out. They'd practically have to be machines not to.

If you look at it objectively, using real money to buy gold and/or items makes more sense than any approach of "playing" the game once you get to the point where most upgrades start costing upwards of nine figures, which is unsurprisingly where most people quit, or, use real money to get the upgrades they want, and then quit promptly afterwards.

You're right. Most of the options cost a good amount of time and effort, and if you want to have a strong character really fast or go for very expensive upgrades, the best and fastest way is probably to use some real money. And that's fine, after all this is a game that is just part of your life, and like everything else you enjoy, if you wanna spend some money on it, just go ahead.

The most important thing is to enjoy the game and have fun, whether you use real money or not is your choice, nothing wrong with that.
Reply Quote
I used it to sell stuff on, does that count?

Seriously though, I made a lot of gold flipping SoJ's before people realized how good they were....it allowed me to amass 1 bill + back when 1.04 was recently released.....since then I haven't found a good way to make a bunch of gold, but have sold some 100 mill + items....which accounts for all my gears worth....

I value it at 1.7 bill

It's tough to make money without a lot of action on the AH....it's pretty dead in general now....I haven't sold anything in weeks just because only premium pieces are moving.
Reply Quote

SICK boots man
Reply Quote
To each their own. I prefer not to spend my disposable income on this game, but if it makes the game more enjoyable for some, so be it. Ill just tool along in my mediocre gear, looking for those godly items you all want to buy :D
Reply Quote
Never used it, don't even have a PayPal account.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]