You can find me on github  and my projects range from open source game engines  to various random web technologies. Recently released the starter code for some of my blizzard.net api consumer clients and game algorithms in one convenient package. If you are a programmer who has very dear nostalgic memories of his youth in this game and the people he met over the years, please get in touch with me :- ) A game development company does not drive the success of the game; it simply puts forth the incubator and it is up to us as a passionate, high demand community to make sure that this game ultimately succeeds.
I have been working hard in my free-time (I also have a mon-fri 9-5 day job) to create a website that should enhance the diablo III community's social aspect whilst blizzard continues to hash it out and decide what to do with it.
Fundamental High-Level Site Goals
- Realtime matchmaking for common objectives, such as Uber groups, Key farming, para grinding and general magic finding.
- Upon the release of PvP it will have a real-time match making queue. Similar to other games such a halo.
- Some social aspects; but in no way to reinvent the wheel. Every feature is aimed specifically at filling the social gap currently present in the game, the community, friends playing together, that is what drives the longevity of a game and this sites primary goal is to help drive this.
PvP Ranking? How will it work?
A high level summary is as follows. Your blizzard profile is stored and kept up to date in our system. A implementation of the ELO system (modified for D3 gaming domain relevancy) has been implemented and will be the primary driving force behind the various ladders.
Since duel details are still vague; we can assume the worst case scenario which will be you may only duel a single player (1vs1) so here is a example of the life cycle of a matchmaking duel game, if that is the case.
- 1) Enter the website
- 2) Choose your hero (Each hero has his own ELO)
- 3) Join a queue that Hero is eligible for. I.E. (Class vs Class Unlimited, Open vs Open Unlimited, Hopefully low level duels allowed; so some optimized TWINK (low level) dueling will be introduced, hopefully adding a small sub economy, theory crafting and further community discussion! How fun would it be for 2 level 19 barbs wearing the best gear they found themselves whacking away at each other? Or perhaps using your high level main to camp that next level 19 upgrade?
PvE / Paragrind
A very similar real time queue will be added as well; to clear up details I have no implemented nor decided on a referee queue or anything of the sort; to start for the beta we are going to rely on a very basic match dispute system where all players are expected to back there case with screenshots etc. Hopefully we can avoid early problems during beta testing.
Why are you doing this?
I wrote a PvP ladder similar to igl cases ladder many many years ago and participated in it for D2, we had Clan vs Clan, 1vs1, barb vs barb, ama vs ama, as well as 1vs1 Unlimited. love the competetive play and I know first hand despite what many people feel is a one dimensional build system with one dimensional build options; once you start focusing on specific PvP matchups so much theorycraft comes into play and will hopefully incite the community I spent so many years of my youth to become a bit less volatile and start having some great discussions.
You are a idiot, you are wrong, PvP will suck, blizzard is <enter troll here> etc
I too am a bit disappointing with many things, I've been as vocal as I can. But I will do everything I can to make sure if blizzard gives us some kind of PvP platform, to use my professional development experience and resources to build a system that players can enjoy. I might fail.. sure, but with a few good like minded people's help I think we can create something that will be usable!
Up a bit too late; im tired, maybe typos, slightly bundled up thoughts, but I have been working on this project for 1-2 months originally for finding ubers groups and now I am excited it will evolve into a possible PvP ladder platform until blizzard can fill some of these gaps so wanted to see if anyone was interested in any kind of discussion on the topic. I will read any brainstorms or ideas, as high or low level as possible. Also, the entire source will be on git hub and I will accept pull requests for improvements. Lets complain less, work at fixing the shortcomings of our game more by utilizing its strengths!
I know this hasn't picked up much momentum, but hopefully once I push the code to production I can get some beta testers and pick up momentum. I am really looking forward to the possibilities dueling will add :- )))))
I am creating the season 1 league brackets right now- well likely tomorrow evening to be exact, but anyways I wanted some feedback on the proposed brackets, the ones prefixed with MAIN are the most high level generic ladders that I am considering, the ones with niche will depend on interest and community feedback, this is OUR ladder and some careful thought needs to go into the various brackets. I am basing this structure primarily ladder off my Diablo II ladder I made many years ago. Also note no item or level(including paragon) restriction on these brackets as their enforcement can provide difficult. But user created ladders will ultimately be a option; and perhaps a ladder devoted to only using specific stats, I.E. VITALITY LEAGUE or NO CC/CD league etc might prove to offer a slower game pace that may be more attractive to some players. The possibilities really are endless guys.
- MAIN: 2vs2 - Unlimited No class restriction 2vs2 combat. I understand its a 4 person FFA settings so very careful build synergy and PvP execution will come into play. My thought process for this bracket is class advantages are further nullified when bringing the diversity and synergy of two classes. I think this has the potential to be the highest skill cap most competitive form of dueling PvP.
- MAIN: 1vs1 - Unlimited No class restriction heads up combat. With this comes the possibility of class advantages, it's to early to know for sure but my fairly in depth understanding of all kits classes leaves me to believe you may end up with ranged classes coming out a bit ahead with current melee class gap closing utility being slightly subpar and no engima.
- 1vs1 - Melee Melee class restriction heads up combat. Let the Barbarian and monk duke it out in this bracket.
- 1vs1 - Ranged Ranged class restriction heads up combat. Let the Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor and Sorcerer duke it out in this bracket.
- 1vs1 - Mirror This ladder will be a pool of mirror only matches. So a barb could have a top Elo of 1875 for the ladder, with a demon hunter being a top elo of 1831. This could leave to possible distribution and pool availability issues and is one that I need to perform a bit more thought on.
Note that the twink leagues will need a lot of suggestions on sweet spots, I based them off skill diversity and item availability (i.e. hamburger/spectrum and reduced level requirement roll range; although specific item bans could take place, from my past history I learned enforcing players to use specific items can be difficult. So in short; Each of the above brackets and limitations are up for debate, with a twist, the character level.
- Level 12 This ultra low level requirement might make some slower pased; extremely interested combat. Won't know though until the patch is here!
- Level 29 This is the level right below when it's possible to use burger/spectrum. This will allow a new niche economy for desired low rolls and provide some exciting build diversity.
- Level 30 This will be fast pace, hard hitting as spectrum and burger become viable.
- Level 49 This will see much more meatier battles, with lower end reduced level requirement rolls being a primary target for this level range.
Please let me know if you have any input. Also: I am primarily a back end engineer and lack a knack for cosmetics, I am using bootstrap which makes it at least possible to produce UI that doesn't make your eyes bleed but I could def. use some help! If you are interested in collaborating with me get in touch with me on github or drop a line here.
Also, please note that this is purely a off-time hobby and my views, opinions and interest in this game are of my own and in no way affect my employer!