Diablo® III

CM Why you exist?

(Locked)

Seriously why does the CM exist, they are simply a middle man meant to pass messages to Devs, when Devs should directly communicate with their player base for raw thoughts and messages. Closing a thread or explaining Code of Conduct is something a moderator is more tailored for working in the backgrounds never to be seen by the players, because the poster should simply know better. Creating a community is null because the community already exists. Managing said community is also null because it is self managing. Directing and guiding the community is also null because a community should be self decided, this case Diablo 3 is the direction, human nature the guide. A CM simply seems to be an enforcer of a non appointed dictatorship under the guise of something friendly.
the devs don't have time to communicate directly. smaller companies do it but they also have smaller playerbases. when you have 16 million customers, a middle man is simply necessary. otherwise, they wouldn't have time to develop the game more. put resources where they are needed.
Pretty sure a Dev has better thing's to do than sit on the forum's and listen people crying.
I believe it is called delegating. If the developers were always patrolling these forums to respond to our questions, they wouldn't have as much time to get things done. By all accounts, they need all the time that they can get. I think the CMs do a fine job on here.
01/11/2013 10:57 AMPosted by padako
the devs don't have time to communicate directly. smaller companies do it but they also have smaller playerbases. when you have 16 million customers, a middle man is simply necessary. otherwise, they wouldn't have time to develop the game more. put resources where they are needed.

I think I heard somewhere also that Blizz used to post on the forums way back in the day... but the trolling got out of control. Could just be a rumor though... back then I didn't really go on Blizz forums.
Yet, there is a 'small' company called Riot Games that nets more players then Diablo 3 easily, and still have Devs communicate directly with their player base.
Edited by Panzer#1696 on 1/11/2013 11:00 AM PST
01/11/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Dedmnwlkn
Pretty sure a Dev has better thing's to do than sit on the forum's and listen people crying.
01/11/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Panzer
Yet, there is a 'small' company called Riot Games that nets more players then Diablo 3 easily, and still have Devs communicate directly with their player base.

ya talking about a f2p game...

riot is not small anymore.
Edited by okarin#1794 on 1/11/2013 11:03 AM PST
Yes Riot is not small anymore and have netted 4.5 million players daily, more then WoW, is a F2P model and still provides better communication with its players then a huge company such as Blizzard. So once again why does Blizzard view what it does is in the best interest of its players (revenue providers).

I believe it is called delegating. If the developers were always patrolling these forums to respond to our questions, they wouldn't have as much time to get things done. By all accounts, they need all the time that they can get. I think the CMs do a fine job on here.

As an aside I delegate my work not my customer
Edited by Panzer#1696 on 1/11/2013 11:08 AM PST
Isn't that like asking why a nurse exists when we have doctors?

People with greater skill sets should be focusing on what makes the best use of their time.
Devs are aware of what is happening on the forums...that's what's important.
Calling out CM's, I smell a ban soon.
90 Night Elf Hunter

I think I heard somewhere also that Blizz used to post on the forums way back in the day... but the trolling got out of control. Could just be a rumor though... back then I didn't really go on Blizz forums.

Not on the D3 forums, but on the Wow forums the lead devs used to post on the forums. Tigole (Jeff Kaplan) during Burning Crusade and Ghostcrawler (Greg Street) during Wrath. Tigole was more casual about it but Ghostcrawler was damn near a regular on the damage, tanking, and healing forums.

There was trolling, but I think the main reason he stopped was because it became time consuming and interfered with his real job, which was lead developer, not community manager.

Which is the same here. The devs are devs, not CMs. And though I would definitely like to see more developer blogs, I understand that when every sentence is parsed, deconstructed, and reassembled to say something that the author never intended, folks tend to be very careful about what they put in writing.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 1/11/2013 11:31 AM PST
Community Manager
I am going to lock this thread since it is off topic. As a reminder it is a good idea to avoid calling out Blizzard employees in thread titles.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]