Diablo® III

Examples of broken economy overpriced items...

"Car 1 has a turbo

Car 2 has a standard 6

See what I'm saying... Want the turbo ? Pay for it."

A good analogy except that the numbers are off. If you apply the numbers to a car it would be like

OK you want standard car? That will be $70,000.

OK you want the same car with Turbo but it has less of X, and Y, that will be $2,300,000 please.
Reply Quote
You're undervaluing 12% life and AR severely. That's your problem.. no one is forcing you to get a mempo.

Any crit mempo blows away every other helm in the game except perfect apoc wizard helms, perfect sweeping wind radiance and mana regen zunis.. just because 2 of those benefit certain builds more while the other sacrifices life/AR for massive damage,perfect crit and still has a chance to get AR.. which makes it more expensive than the average crit mempo(perfect innas radiance).
Edited by hampster#1586 on 1/11/2013 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
"Car 1 has a turbo

Car 2 has a standard 6

See what I'm saying... Want the turbo ? Pay for it."

A good analogy except that the numbers are off. If you apply the numbers to a car it would be like

OK you want standard car? That will be $70,000.

OK you want the same car with Turbo but it has less of X, and Y, that will be $2,300,000 please.

You're right, the analogy fails, but only because he's comparing the same make/model. You're comparing a Mempo to an Andi which would be more like saying "why would I pay for a Veyron for $2m when I can get a Nissan GT-R for $100k that would yield similar performance numbers?"
Edited by sno#1130 on 1/11/2013 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 04:41 PMPosted by manana12
Its a community driven market. If you dont like the price, then dont buy it. No offense, I dont see what you are arguing. Blizzard doesnt set the price of the items. Even if this was a bot, NO ONE is forcing anyone to buy it. I can list a level 3 item for 1 billion and then what? The game is broken?

Yes it is broken because the drop rates in this game require you to use the Auction House to progress. Therefor if prices are controlled by cheaters who have infinite amounts of gold from BOTS than that IS a problem worth arguing.

If there were no BOTS than I would have 0% argument. If you cannot mentally separate a real legit market to one controlled by BOTS... than no wonder you don't see what I am arguing.
Edited by Tokadub#1875 on 1/11/2013 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes it is broken because the drop rates in this game require you to use the Auction House to progress. Therefor if prices are controlled by cheaters who have infinite amounts of gold from BOTS than that IS a problem worth arguing.

If there were no BOTS than I would have 0% argument. If you cannot mentally separate a real legit market to one controlled by BOTS... than no wonder you don't see what I am arguing.

Do you have proof that only botters find CC Mempos, because I know A LOT of non-botters get CC Mempos. The game requires time, grinding, and, most of all, a little bit of luck. IMO, at 15k elite kills, you've not really spent the amount of time or ground enough to really complain.
Reply Quote
But, if you would like to educate us please feel free to create spreadsheets, use dps calculator etc. Show us how much better a mempo is vs every other classes second options. Show us the difference with lacuni vs number 2. Get an estimate of the rarity (just using a few weeks of of the number of available items on the AH to get a rough estimate). Prove to us your wisdom on what the price "should" be on these items, without all this manipulation going on.

Well I could go through all that work. Or I could just say go look at Auction House for high end gear. Check the amount of gold it costs. Check the amount of gold you have picked up in game throughout your entire play history "Press P". Now add up EVERY SINGLE ITEM YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT and multiply it by 15% (transaction fee).

Hmm that's weird it seems like when you add up the transaction fees for what you have bought that it is roughly the same if not more than how much gold you picked up in game? What does that mean?

Well it means that the average trade savvy player who relies on AH for gearing up actually causes more gold to disappear from the economy due to transaction fees than what they input into economy through pick ups.

So if players are not causing gold to be pumped into the economy how is it possible that items are selling for a Billion gold?!

Oh yeah, BOTS...

So in my estimate the price of these items would be WAY less without BOTS because it would be impossible to even get that much gold without them.

Don't really need scientific studies to notice the obvious...
Edited by Tokadub#1875 on 1/11/2013 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Kadderly
The market for the two items is exactly where it needs to be

How is the market where it needs to be if you would have to buy gold to afford anything worthwhile?

If the market was where it needs to be a good player should simply have enough gold from selling what they find to afford upgrades because GOLD WOULD HAVE VALUE.

It is such a simple concept why do people not see this? Or do those people just buy gold themselves lol?
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Tokadub

How is the market where it needs to be if you would have to buy gold to afford anything worthwhile?

If the market was where it needs to be a good player should simply have enough gold from selling what they find to afford upgrades because GOLD WOULD HAVE VALUE.

It is such a simple concept why do people not see this? Or do those people just buy gold themselves lol?

The problem is that you assume that you're a "good player," but you're not. You're about where you should be considering how many kills you have.

Your problem with not advancing isn't that you can't afford the Mempo upgrade; your problem is that you have several other things you can upgrade with that 45m which would get you results equal to or better than the Mempo would but you're not looking at those because, presumably, you don't know how to spend your gold wisely.
Reply Quote

You think way too highly of yourself. You first accuse people of not knowing the stats within the game when it's abundantly clear you are the one who doesn't know. Then you take what I say out of context. Because of botting, yes gold has been inflated, but if you farm and get a decent item every once in a while that sells, you are also getting inflated prices on the gear you find.

In that context the Mempo are where they need to be at. The crit chance ones are insanely rare, hence their price in comparison to everything else on the market.

With all that said you sound like a pompous, bitter person throughout this whole thread. I would suggest maybe drinking a cold one or something.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 1/11/2013 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Tokadub
But, if you would like to educate us please feel free to create spreadsheets, use dps calculator etc. Show us how much better a mempo is vs every other classes second options. Show us the difference with lacuni vs number 2. Get an estimate of the rarity (just using a few weeks of of the number of available items on the AH to get a rough estimate). Prove to us your wisdom on what the price "should" be on these items, without all this manipulation going on.

Well I could go through all that work. Or I could just say go look at Auction House for high end gear. Check the amount of gold it costs. Check the amount of gold you have picked up in game throughout your entire play history "Press P". Now add up EVERY SINGLE ITEM YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT and multiply it by 15% (transaction fee).

Hmm that's weird it seems like when you add up the transaction fees for what you have bought that it is roughly the same if not more than how much gold you picked up in game? What does that mean?

Well it means that the average trade savvy player who relies on AH for gearing up actually causes more gold to disappear from the economy due to transaction fees than what they input into economy through pick ups.

So if players are not causing gold to be pumped into the economy how is it possible that items are selling for a Billion gold?!

Oh yeah, BOTS...

So in my estimate the price of these items would be WAY less without BOTS because it would be impossible to even get that much gold without them.

Don't really need scientific studies to notice the obvious...

So your argument has now turned into there is a lot of gold inflation, the major cause of which is bots. No *&%$ Sherlock. Did you really need a thread to say something everyone already knows.

Of course we both know that is not what you started saying. You were comparing different items and telling everyone how wrong they are on the relative value of items, then complained a bit about bots.

What never ceases to amaze me is the astounding arrogance of people to assume they know better how to judge value than the entirety of every person in community freely buying and selling as they choose. How can you possibly have so much conceit?
Reply Quote
After reading this and the responses after my post, it's quite clear. OP is most certainly a bundle of sticks.

[quote="75922584296"][quote]
Your problem with not advancing isn't that you can't afford the Mempo upgrade; your problem is that you have several other things you can upgrade with that 45m which would get you results equal to or better than the Mempo would but you're not looking at those because, presumably, you don't know how to spend your gold wisely.

/thread.
Edited by Aesireon#1606 on 1/11/2013 6:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Tokadub
Blizzard please fix your game so there is a point to play EVEN IF YOU DON'T BUY GOLD.

When trains were invented, some people created a public uproar that there was something really wrong when people go faster than 40 mph.

Pay to Win is here to stay.
Reply Quote
In my opinion The real money auction house is one of The main problems. I bet there are alot of people out there spending real money to equip their characters. And I even think they don't care to spend 100 million gold on an item. I don't understand why blizzard allowed to buy gold for real money. This is unfair to people who don't want to spend real money in the game. When you have a look at the real money auction house you see how crazy some people are. For example buying something for 200+ dollar. And these guys don't really have a problem to buy something for 200 million gold. The community knows this and just reacts. A little example. I also found a body set item a week ago and it didn't have really awesome attributes at all. But I was sure that there is some "idiot" out there who has a ton of gold and is willing to pay 150 million for it and doesn't even care. And well the set item sold and I was rich for a day. I think everyone gets the point. If there are people willing to pay that much the community will set items for high prices into the auction house and the average player won't get good stuff unless he buys gold or gets lucky too and finds a good item to sell.

Some people here say that rarity and popularity are the reasons. That's true but there need to be people who are willing to pay that much in the first place and in my opinion the RMAH plays a huge role in Diablo's economy. I bet the prices wouldn't be that high if everyone would play the same game.

I'd second bots because they couldn't set items for high prices into the auction house if no one had the gold to buy those either. Blizzard should really have separated the RMAH with the normal auction house but with buying gold for real money the normal AH gets influenced.
Reply Quote
so you're gonna quit based on an assumption that is way off mark? Could it possibly some scrub got his first legendary, and had absolutely no idea how to price the item?

"Nah that can't be possible, after all, ALL players in D3 knows how to price their items. So its gotta be a bot! Damn, these bots, time to quit!"

Seriously, did you even consider the times where you are able to buy items at a discount? Guess who's responsible for underpricing? Yep you got that right, bots again! omg
Reply Quote
The reason Mempos are worth more than Andys is pretty simple: you can get as much dps with a good mempo as you can with a good andy, but you can also get another 12% life and 70-80 AR (or a socket, if you get an AR andy).

More stats = more money. That's why getting str/crit lacunis is cheap, but then you add another stat (VIT) and it jumps in price. Add one more (AR) and the price skyrockets, because only a vanishingly small number of lacunis will roll that combination of stats, and a lot of people want that combination of stats. More demand than supply = high prices.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 05:49 PMPosted by sno
The economy isn't broken; it's how economies work.

Actually it is broken. Why are you people defending blizzard here? And going on to compare the AH to a "real" economy. When you obviously know nothing about how a "real" economy works, and neither do I.

If you take the most basic concept of every economy on the planet 'Supply and Demand' you realize blizzard isn't actually supplying anything instead just reaping the benefits of all of our hard work. If this was a really real world economy blizzard would just be broken up into many different companys, because blizzard's AH acts just like a monopoly. And they can do so because this is the magical land of rainbow ponies.

01/11/2013 05:49 PMPosted by sno
This phenomenon happens in real life. A woman will pay $1,000+ for a Louis Vuitton bag when she could get something that looks similar and has all the same functions from Ross for $20. The ah economy is no different from real-world economies; they're just dealing with different items.

This "phenomenon" that you think happens in real life, actually doesn't because there are rules and laws preventing it. If we had the choice of purchasing an Echoing fury from a different company that has all the same stats but doesn't have its same orange glow. We'd have something called competition therefore making the price more realistic. So those rich people who like to flaunt their money can still showoff their bright glowing echoing fury to their rich snobby friends, while those of us living on the other side of the tracks can still have as much fun and enjoy the game all the same.

Since this is the magical land of rainbow ponies and its unrealistic to suggest another company being able to inject items into the game. And blizzard being the only entity that knows exactly how rare an item is and how many exist. They could create a system or put limitations on such items so those of us with a smaller budget can compete. OR they can just start putting some of us on welfare, lol.
Reply Quote
Actually it is broken. Why are you people defending blizzard here? And going on to compare the AH to a "real" economy. When you obviously know nothing about how a "real" economy works, and neither do I.

If you take the most basic concept of every economy on the planet 'Supply and Demand' you realize blizzard isn't actually supplying anything instead just reaping the benefits of all of our hard work. If this was a really real world economy blizzard would just be broken up into many different companys, because blizzard's AH acts just like a monopoly. And they can do so because this is the magical land of rainbow ponies.

Wow you're dense. First, explain to me how I'm defending Blizz by saying that the ah economy is working the way a real world economy does.

If you don't even understand the EXTREMELY basic principle of supply and demand, I really don't know why you're even in this discussion as all of it will clearly go right over your head. And, please, don't speak for me. I'm no economist, but it really doesn't take much more than a basic college econ class to understand the very basic principle of supply and demand (a class I'm guessing you've never taken?). Hell, it doesn't take much more than reading a few things on the internet.

Do you know what a monopoly is? A monopoly is ONE entity having control of the ENTIRE MARKET and setting prices the way they'd like. Now, yes, the ah AS A WHOLE is owned and run by Blizz, but is Blizz the one setting the prices of EACH INDIVIDUAL ITEM being placed on the ah? No, it's the players that are determining what they're going to sell things for, NOT Blizz, so, in fact, there IS competition amongst the sellers (otherwise known as players) within the ah.

I'll use an analogy that hopefully even your elementary education will allow you to understand. Ebay. Ebay the corporation owns the website, they set the rules of the auctions (or at least the set of rules that could be chosen), and they take a cut of the sale; not too different from the ah. Now, within Ebay, I can find 5 different sellers trying to sell a product at 5 different price points, thus COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER. Now, this is basically EXACTLY how the Blizz ah works, but in your mind, somehow Blizz has a monopoly? If you still believe that to be the case, then, please, explain to me how Ebay has a monopoly. For if Blizz has a monopoly, certainly Ebay has one as well.

Oh, and before you go into what I'm going to predict will be your idiotic response of "I HAVE to use the ah to buy a Mempo," I'll just tell you, no, you don't. Blizz SPECIFICALLY made sure that you don't HAVE to use the ah when they put in-game trading into the game. They gave you ANOTHER option, just like you could probably buy one of these Ebay products from somewhere other than Ebay.

This "phenomenon" that you think happens in real life, actually doesn't because there are rules and laws preventing it. If we had the choice of purchasing an Echoing fury from a different company that has all the same stats but doesn't have its same orange glow. We'd have something called competition therefore making the price more realistic. So those rich people who like to flaunt their money can still showoff their bright glowing echoing fury to their rich snobby friends, while those of us living on the other side of the tracks can still have as much fun and enjoy the game all the same.

Since this is the magical land of rainbow ponies and its unrealistic to suggest another company being able to inject items into the game. And blizzard being the only entity that knows exactly how rare an item is and how many exist. They could create a system or put limitations on such items so those of us with a smaller budget can compete. OR they can just start putting some of us on welfare, lol.

And...therein lies the problem. "I can't get something I want myself, I demand welfare." Guess what? These prices ARE realistic; it's just not in YOUR price range. And if you think this doesn't happen in real life, wow, you're ignorant. Please, tell me where you can buy a Louis Vuitton purse without it having been sold at some point with Louis Vuitton's approval. Or, why don't you go to the federal government and tell them that they have to make it so that you MUST be able to buy a BMW M3 without the BMW badge at a quarter of the price.

No, you can't go buy an Echoing Fury from, oh, I don't know, Polyphony Digital or Sony. You know why? THEY DON'T MAKE THIS GAME. This is how games (hell, software in general) work. They program is THEIR intellectual property and you cannot use it without their permission. I mean, seriously, you have a problem with this? Because if you do, I REALLY hope you don't own anything made by Apple, a PS3, an Xbox, Adobe...the list goes on and on.

P.S. They DO have Echos that aren't orange and tend to be cheaper. They're yellow and called RARES.
Edited by sno#1130 on 1/11/2013 10:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
ilvl 62 cant compare vs ilvl 63... +30% more life with the socket this mean all... Is not AH broke is RIGHT! Go and found you a mempo with these RANDOM stats...
And think yet we are at 1.0.5 with double drop of leg...

Have u try to link in the chat a mempo?? and see the difference?? try and then u will understand

PS: i have play around 400h and i have found only 1 mempo...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]