Diablo® III

One question for ur dev team

What quality are you referring to? D2 has a much more complex mechanics.

Just use class specific item, they have guarantee mod in D2. In D3? The have a chance to roll it.

Weapon speed. Depend on class, they are different. In D3? All the same.

The list go on and on.

Yeah and I miss FHR/FBR/FCR.

I am not saying that D3 should be made exactly like D2. But D3 is really over-simplified.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 10:29 PMPosted by Awsomer
i pre ordered and to this day this game still makes me cry (as a fanboy would) ive gotten every diablo and expansion on there release days, and this game really breaks my heart, i love u diablo, but this generation of blizzard just isnt the same, im not even goin to get this next starcraft expansion, cuz i dont trust them to not !@#$ %^-* up again, seriously... they should just port diablo3 to console and be done with it, its not much more then that.... a console game

i mean 6 skills cmon thats 2 triggers and 4 buttons, no reason to reroll or anything, i miss the days when u could reroll for different builds, and get items for said builds (fire mage for lowbie grinding was so awsome!!) and i miss the skill books from diablo 1 and elixers, i know hellfire wasnt official but it was pretty awsome also, this game diablo 3 just breaks my heart
Edited by Awsomer#1969 on 1/21/2013 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
What's funny is that you are a multi-million dollar company, and you refuse to do any real work on your own games. Small companies are running circles around you guys, with hardly any resources. Take Grinding gear games for example with their new game path of exile. Small company keep in mind, and not even out of beta yet, and it's already got PvP arena, ladder games, end game content, character and item customization, outer world PvP, and more.
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

Ever consider Agile Software Development? Sounds like you guys have way to much overhead.
Reply Quote
Hugely iterative is just another typical Blizzard term to describe a design team, that has no idea where they are heading and thus need to push each idea through the whole production pipeline to check it out live ingame.
Jay Wilson admitted this during one of the Blizzcon panels while talking about lenghty spell design and how they could improve this process. Such words coming from the mouth of the lead game director is - scary.
Other companies can create great games given less budget and time. There is nothing about this game except server/client architecture and RMAH security issues that justify 7 years development for a semi-complex hack'n slash.
Reply Quote
About how time consuming it is to fix a 'small' bug i can say this: If our software has a bug, wrong number, wrong text or w/e, the fix takes 1 minute but actually compiling the whole software, encrypting the files etc. takes like half a day for us... so i can understand why blizz is taking some time for updates.

Also that's one of the reasons why you do not release a patch with just 1 change but rather wait if more bugs are revealed so you can actually fix more than just 1 thing...
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Monk: Runes and Passives Idea: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593582720
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

aaaawwww , we are very sorry to make you sad :(

Please take your time for the development , don't rush. Meanwhile if you need more money please let us know .Or another idea ; just stop developing it since the game is perfect.Right ??
Reply Quote

"With many people involved along the way". See that's your peoples problem right there. There are too many chiefs in the tribe, too many cooks in the kitchen. The OP is 100% correct there. We all know what it takes to fix and code games, we all play 100's of games and can see how long it takes patches and content to come out. Fooling a 20 year old is much easier than fooling a 40 year old.
The drop rates and stats on items still are completely worthless and depressing. Found an awesome Manticore crossbow, only it had +297 Strength on it, rather than Dexterity. Like how incredibly retarded was the person that didn't give certain items set main stat, with only the number being random. I could rant about this games flaws and short commings for days, but I'd rather just download a new game.
Reply Quote

aaaawwww , we are very sorry to make you sad :(

Please take your time for the development , don't rush. Meanwhile if you need more money please let us know .Or another idea ; just stop developing it since the game is perfect.Right ??

lol. Love your response. It's like you knew what I was thinking.
Reply Quote
gotta agree with frisch on this one... some of the bug issues that have remained previlent are simple name inaccuracies towards "achievements" or spelling errors and such which seem to have been overlooked for months... i dunno about the blizz dev team but i know when i was in school if my programming teacher saw me keep such an error going for so long be it minor issue or not they would have failed me for it. perhaps they just need more insentive to do the job correctly more quickly or something... or hell the company could spend a little of the profit they are making and hire someone who will.

the community is more happy with lots of fixes at once rather one little tiny one that didnt really do anything to the game at all. we as a community will be more understanding if you take 2 months to make a large bug fix patch then if you try and fix one bug and create 3 more in its place.
Edited by magiofchaos#1182 on 1/22/2013 5:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
01/20/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Polaris
The difference in community interaction is also notable. D3 players have a reputation for hating Blizzard's guts while SC2 players have a reputation for worshiping the ground that Blizzard touches. I wonder if that has anything at all to do with how the games are supported so differently? Developers and patches for one game, the other gets a few months between patches and no developer interaction. Hmmmm......

Have to wonder which is the cause, and which is the effect. It's easy to see that good communication from the devs, and frequent, high-quality patches would make the community happy, but I'd say it's also likely that a calm, intelligent community that provides good feedback, and doesn't beat the developers up every time they show their faces would make the developers' job go a whole lot more smoothly.

01/21/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Xianath
Regardless of what progress you make, keeping your customers up to date and directly involved can only be a positive move. I have never, ever in my professional experience had that backfire against me or my employer, and I've had to deal with the biggest fish in the sea.

Blizzard has tried this in the past, and it has backfired on them. Horribly. I'd suggest that the difference is that your experiences have been with professionals, rather than extremely childish end-user customers.

01/21/2013 03:44 AMPosted by KillemAll
Are you trying to say it takes weeks or months to double the value of a number .... (50% weap dmg bumped up to 100% weap dmg) I honestly beleive the monk buffs took 30minutes to adjust those damage values.

It probably only took a few minutes to adjust the values in whatever source file they're stored in, but it may have easily taken weeks to determine what values needed to be changed, and what they should be changed to.

The difference between Diablo III and Blizzard's other properties, as well as most other games, is the real-world economic aspect. They've messed up pretty badly a number of times so far, and I imagine they're getting increasingly cautious about the scope and degree of the changes they make.
Edited by DashLektrik#1704 on 1/23/2013 5:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ok this is just getting hillarious. I like how people with no experience in Coding, who have never even seen a line of code in their entire life are judging the people who work their *sses off to keep this game up and functioning. So what, you have to wait a couple hours out of your "ever so exciting lives" to play your game. If it means you have no in-game issues while you're playing then why complain? Yes people have made a valid point that it has taken 7 years for this game to be released, but that is nothing compared to the complexity of such a game. so bottom line my friends... Quit complaining, its not becoming.
Reply Quote
I would stop comlaining for real.. I mean PEOPLE this team brought us one of the best Rpg game EVER!!! .
But i have a question though... Concerning routine maintenance you guys have to do every once and a while... Like today's january 22's maintenance said to last until 7 a.m.. it's now 9H30 and it is still running i believe... My question is: how much time should i allow as a buffer after the time you told it was doing to be done??? This is is basicly just to stop chekeing server status every 10 minutes lol. ( this is NOT a complaint... just a question.)

Sincerely yours,

Viraziel
Reply Quote
This shouldn't take much coding, time, etc. Put the game back the way it was so it is a good hard game again and not the watered down cry baby game we have now. Talk about a waste of coding and time, all those great elete attributes like fire etc. don't mean much of anything anymore because they are so weak. Create a classic mode for us true Diablo fans and leave the cry baby level we have now for the high dps only characters who think a big stick is all there should be to this game and armor, resistance, and vitality should not be part of this game.
Edited by charliedog#1702 on 1/22/2013 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

Bahahah, seriously? this junk might work with the kiddies that are still playing, but anyone with a real brain sees right through this.

It took almost a year to come up with the Scorched Chapel? There's not even any balancing hahaha..the new pvp should have been day 1 content.

Wonder if it will take 9 months to kill off this duping frenzy going on lately. By the time you guys get around to it every person in the games gonna have a 1200 dps lifesteal echoing haha.
Edited by Morgue#1736 on 1/22/2013 7:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
Dear Sir/Ma'am,

We are the customer. We do not need to hear what "goes" on, because we have paid our money for your product, and you have given us a product that was 80% finished before it even hit the box.
That being said we are loyal, we care, and we love you guys. We enjoy everything you do and want you do more of it. However, coming to the forums to tell us about your process of handling the product so that you can somehow get us as a "community" to feel for your stress level is utterly inappropriate. We play your game to get rid of OUR stress and I personally couldn't care less about what it takes to make the product happen.
I personally work in a hospital, and I deal with patient care all day everyday. Now do you think I seek a pat on the back pity party from my cancer patient because I can't get my job done on time? NO! I tell him/her I will do better and I tell them in the best way I can (and in a sincere manner) how I am going to rectify the problem at hand.
End of friggin story! When a product or service fails it's the job of the employee to kick some butt and put that process or job back on track.

Good day,
Gemonay
Reply Quote
I blame Mass Effect 3. I blame it because what is being attempted now, worked on ME3. You bought something, didn't like for _______ (insert reasons), and then turned to complaining incessantly on the forums for "Something! Do something!" until the company caves and gives you what you want. But here's the rub: What you want, is not what everyone else wants. Even if you think that "we" or "us" are all behind you, and that "they" and "them" are all misguided fools, you are only speaking for yourself and your own vision of what you think this game should be. The ME3 trolls hated and hated until they got their way, and most of them still weren't happy. This game is not an HD remix of Diablo 2. It never will be, regardless of how many threads like this pop up. All you will do is wear down the people (real people with hopes, dreams, ambitions, etc) that truly want to try and improve this game to the point wear they don't give a frak anymore about improving anything. Then you will have won, and can lean back in your computer chair with a smug smirk and revel in the fact that you had a vision of what was "right" and "true" and you complained until you made it become reality: "See! I told you they didn't care about this game! Diablo is dead!" And you will be right. It will be dead. But you and your other troll buddies killed it.

The vast majority of complainers don't even have a valid rationale for why they dislike the game. The complainer feels displeasure, but doesn't really know why, and so he/she turns to the forums to find other like minded people to validate his/her own displeasure, and soon you have a whole train of wagons full of bile spewing hate mongers who feed off each other and fill the forums of this game, WoW, and any other game you can imagine with troll havens, like a group of hipsters who just found out Mumford and Sons published an album with a major record label, so now its cool to hate Mumford and Sons. In this case, Diablo 3 is Mumford and Sons, and you are the hipsters.

You like Diablo 2 because of _____ (insert reason)? That's great. It is your opinion and you are entitled to hold it. But do not for one second think that because you hold that opinion that you are objectively "right" in any sense of the word, nor are the other people on the other side of the fence. There is no absolute truth that only you and your cohorts are privy to. You like this, but don't like that. All right. Either keep using that product of don't. Or even better, go use the product that suits all of your needs. There are plenty of options: Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 (even hailed be GameInformer as the spiritual successor to D2), and soon Path of Exile. May you find what you seek, my friend. Leave this game to those who truly enjoy it, as they will likely be the ones with constructive feedback that can hopefully help build a better game.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 1/22/2013 1:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:16 PMPosted by DoomBringer
So the many years of development before release wasn't enough...?

You're not a programmer or software engineer, are you?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

were not stupid....well most of us anyways...dont talk to us like we are. you had 7 years. get off your high horse and start giving us what we've wanted the whole time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]